toshiba hd dvd and component output

scartlead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, need a question answered if poss....does the toshiba hd a1 output its high defination goodies via component ?

thanks

Mark

ps..hope the answer is yes as I'm connecting it to a CRT projector...

At present, yes. :)

Just to expand slightly the current HD DVD players and discs will output high def (720p or 1080i) via the component output. Future releases may put an end to this by using a software flags on a disc by disc basis that forces the player to down-convert to better-than-standard-def pictures. At present there seems no enthusiasm to do this from the studios which is surprising but very welcome. I also understand that there are legal issues with forcing down-converting in Japan (and maybe the US as well) - however others will need to confirm this.

Regardless for now the players and discs support full high resolution output via component which is excellent news for early adopters. Hopefully by the time the situation changes everyone will have a HDMI equipped high def screen.

Rasczak said:
Just to expand slightly the current HD DVD players and discs will output high def (720p or 1080i) via the component output. Future releases may put an end to this by using a software flags on a disc by disc basis that forces the player to down-convert to better-than-standard-def pictures. At present there seems no enthusiasm to do this from the studios which is surprising but very welcome. I also understand that there are legal issues with forcing down-converting in Japan (and maybe the US as well) - however others will need to confirm this.

Regardless for now the players and discs support full high resolution output via component which is excellent news for early adopters. Hopefully by the time the situation changes everyone will have a HDMI equipped high def screen.

really good new then...thanks to all :thumbsup:

Yep, and there's hardly any difference between the two in terms of picture quality. To my eyes component is ever so slightly softer.

This is good news, as I hope to do exactly the same as scartlead:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom