Toshiba HD-A1 HDMI Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by n00b, Sep 9, 2007.

1. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all,

I updated the firmware on my HD-A1 recently and thought all went ok - seemed to boot up fine straight after. However, the evening after I tried watching a film and nothing appeared on screen.

It seems that something has happened to the hdmi socket where the tv knows its plugged in (so the socket is not dead) but there is no picture :mad:

The component works fine so i can still watch films but its not a solution.
    I managed to get hold of the engineers guide from this forum ages ago and checked the 3 ribbon cables.
    Also tried another hdmi cable but same issue.

Since this player was never released in the UK I can imagine claiming the warranty is a no no or major hassle at the least.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try? Does anyone have the release version of the firmware so I can possibly try downgrading?

2. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    You can download the older firmwares here.
    You'll have to register. But I think this is worth a try.

3. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Did you remember to switch the video output from component to HDMI after performing the FW update? (The button on the handset.)

4. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OMG I probably shouldn't admit this but thats what it was. I cannot believe I took the damn thing apart. Before you all start laughing the reason is that I use a harmony remote and so didn't have that button on it. Dug up the old remote and put some batteries in, tried the button and voila!
    Thank you so very much. This will teach me to copy every remote function rather than only the ones I use :clap:

Trevor if only the thanks button wasn't limited to one, you deserve at least 5 for this heh heh.

5. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Happy to have been able to assist :)!

I own an HDV5000 (A1 equivalent from RCA) and have had to think twice a couple times. It's easy to forget about that button -- especially if you also own a later version player where both the analogue and HDMI video are enabled simultaneously (or if you no longer use the original handset!)

PS. I've seen posts by more than one person who thought either their player video or HDMI output was dead following FW update. :)!