Toshiba HD-A1 HDDVD shipping to uk

Avi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does anybody know a seller that is prepared to ship to the UK. The US web sites I've seen state continental US shipping only.:lease:

Or

Does anyone know of a shipping company that will provide a US delivery addess and then forward to the UK. I remember reading somthing about setting this address with your credit card company to avoid issues but can't find the the article !:confused:

Avi[/QUOTE]

Just a thought but if you sign up for a US address and order 2 from www.valueelectronics.com you get a $50 discount so $899 for the 2 units (= approx £515 at current exchange rates) and you get a free HD-DVD (Batman Begins if you're quick) with each player as well. Ok there'd be customs charges and shipping charges on top but I reckon it'd still work out to be a very tempting price.
Of course I'm not suggesting you get 2 just to get the discount but if 2 people were interested.....

Avi said:
Thanks Andy

I guess I'll need to add duty and VAT to this delivered cost. I think duty is 14% on DVD players does anybody know different ? If it is this bring the cost to about £486 delivered.

Does this seem expensive for a HD-DVD player ??

No need to add VAT or Delivery - may get stung for Duty but I think Movietyme ship from within the UK. Duty would only be about £50...

Will this player output a 720p or 1080i signal via component, or just HDMI? i.e. will HD-DVD movies allow for hidef via component, and will scaled dvd pictures also be available, or once again only via HDMI!? :confused:

If it's HDMI only, then I'm screwed as my 18 month old HDTV only has component inputs for hi-def signals. Having spent £1,300 on it there's no way I could justify buying a new set in the near future.

Rob20 said:
Will this player output a 720p or 1080i signal via component, or just HDMI? i.e. will HD-DVD movies allow for hidef via component, and will scaled dvd pictures also be available, or once again only via HDMI!? :confused:

If it's HDMI only, then I'm screwed as my 18 month old HDTV only has component inputs for hi-def signals. Having spent £1,300 on it there's no way I could justify buying a new set in the near future.
HDMI only.

scumball said:
No need to add VAT or Delivery - may get stung for Duty but I think Movietyme ship from within the UK. Duty would only be about £50...

For DVD's certainly but I wouldn't want to risk an order unless I knew that was the case for such a bulky and expensive item as this player:)
Granted if you want one an extra bill for £££ would probably not stop you but better to know for sure before ordering I would have thought.

togad said:
HDMI only.

In fact it will be able to output 720p or 1080i via component - its the studios which will determine whether their movies will have to be downrezzed via an ICT tag. Some studios will, others will not.

I thought there was a box out, about £180 that accepted HDMI/DVI and outputed the signal via VGA...

Avi said:
Hi

Does anybody know a seller that is prepared to ship to the UK. The US web sites I've seen state continental US shipping only.:lease:

Or

Does anyone know of a shipping company that will provide a US delivery addess and then forward to the UK. I remember reading somthing about setting this address with your credit card company to avoid issues but can't find the the article !:confused:

Avi
[/QUOTE]

Do you have a step down transformer for 120V ? - are they expensive?

Anyone know if the main multi-region distributors (CDWoW, PlayUSA, Axel etc) will be stocking HD-DVDs?

Can't seem to find them on any sites....yet the player is purchasable?

Cheers for the movietyme link andy :thumbsup: was looking around last night were to pre-order a machine from now thats a problem i no longer have :)

Just waiting on movietyme listing some HD-DVD's, batman begins being 1st on my list :D

Do you have a step down transformer for 120V ? - are they expensive?
From what i remember they come with different wattage ratings i think 100W is about £10 for the transformer. i paid about £30 for one a while ago when i had an import console so i shall just use that if its suitable. Saying that if i need a new one they dont seem all that expensive.

Kopite4Ever said:
Cheers for the movietyme link andy :thumbsup: was looking around last night were to pre-order a machine from now thats a problem i no longer have :)

Just waiting on movietyme listing some HD-DVD's, batman begins being 1st on my list :D

From what i remember they come with different wattage ratings i think 100W is about £10 for the transformer. i paid about £30 for one a while ago when i had an import console so i shall just use that if its suitable. Saying that if i need a new one they dont seem all that expensive.

If you purchase from valueelectronics.com at $499 you get Batman Begins HDDVD for free! They say they have volume ordered this and will ship it with the players.

Not sure myself whether you have to add anything onto the movietyme price i.e. VAT etc? Does say £369 delivered though so I would have thought that price includes shipping/VAT etc.

zAndy1 said:
Not sure myself whether you have to add anything onto the movietyme price i.e. VAT etc? Does say £369 delivered though so I would have thought that price includes shipping/VAT etc.

It does say in their customer service centre that items over £18 are liable for tax/duty. However, it also says that if you are in the UK and charged they will credit your account this amount providing you return the original box and duty invoice. I'm guessing it's some loophole about refuding duty on a returned item ???

togad said:
Hmm.

So are you implying that the following article is incorrect then?

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2006/02/new_format_play.html

No, I am implying that the player will have the ability to output full HD over component but that the content providers [studios] will determine whether this is restricted to a 50% reduction in resolution by using an ICT (Image Constraint Token) flag on individual HD DVD's. See this interview with Mark Knox, official spokesperson for HD DVD (about half way down):-

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2006/02/interview_-_mark_knox_toshiba_on_hd_dvd.php

As I understand it, some studios are more enthusiastic then others about implementing this.

togad said:
HDMI only.

Apparantly there are 3 million or so HDTV sets in the USA that don't have HDMI or DVI inputs, but do have component. These early adopters are exactly the sort of people who would be looking to buy HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Surely the format that allows hi-def via component, (say at least 720p), will be the format of choice for a large number of these consumers? If just in the early models. Looks like I won't be buying into the next gen formats til 2010 when I can justify a new tv.

im thinking of buying this from movietyme

i have a toshiba 37 WLT58 and really want to get best out of my LCD

will this be multi-region?

how much will the HD-DVDs retail for?

Won't be multi region as such but there isn't apparently going to be region coding on HD-DVDs so you should be able to play discs from any region on it (no guarantee though). Anyway it won't be a problem buying the discs from the US and they'll probably be cheaper!

Under the finale AACS agreements, there will be no 1080i/p via component and according to the usa forum all titles will be downrezzed to(ithink it was)
9??x7??. which is still a 1/3 increase in resolution of DVD, so not a total loss.

Regional encoding looks likly to stay with blu-ray (as the only real change is that they added japan to region 1 status) As far as HD-DVD goes, there in no firm word yet but some insiders are reporting that they expect region locking to be present due to a a couple of IP holders requeast, but it could be a case of some restricted and some not.

So HDMI is a must for 1080, which is no surpise due to all the DRM thats going into these machines software.

add46.88 said:
im thinking of buying this from movietyme

i have a toshiba 37 WLT58 and really want to get best out of my LCD

will this be multi-region?

how much will the HD-DVDs retail for?

I've seen mention of $23-$30. I'll try to recall where I saw this.

Avi said:
I've seen mention of $23-$30. I'll try to recall where I saw this.

As long as that is not the wholesale price which i think it might be. so a bit more to the end user

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom