toshiba hard drive recorder rgb issues

bunyboy

friends have just bought a 26" Samsung LCD tv (LE26R7) and a Toshiba dvd recorder (RD-XS25SB) and are having some problems and i cant figure out why!

when the dvd recorder is played back (or recorded or tv is watched via) the AV1 (rgb) scart socket then there are a couple of flashes to a black screen (it varies from 2 to 4 and the sound cuts out too) every few mins... but if connected via AV2 (non rgb) then it doesnt do it...

ive checked all the settings (i think) and everyting is correct as far as i can tell so i have no idea why its doing it... its obviously some kind of rgb conflict and must be to do with the toshiba dvd recorder as when it is off or freeview is watch directly thru the tv then all is fine...

has anyone experienced this before?

Gavtech

Administrator
I suggest trying the DVDR with another RGB-in-capable TV to see if the effect is still present... to determine for sure whether it is an issue of the DVDR or the TV.

bunyboy

I suggest trying the DVDR with another RGB-in-capable TV to see if the effect is still present... to determine for sure whether it is an issue of the DVDR or the TV.

i wish that was possible but they only have one other tv.. a small portable with no rgb scart...

are you suggesting that one or other is faulty? i was thinking it was a settings or maybe a cheap scart lead issue or something... they wont like the idea of sending it back at all!

Gavtech

Administrator
i wish that was possible but they only have one other tv.. a small portable with no rgb scart...

What about another device with an RGB output - so at least you could see if the TV performed OK with that?
are you suggesting that one or other is faulty? i was thinking it was a settings or maybe a cheap scart lead issue or something... they wont like the idea of sending it back at all!

Yes I was suggesting that. It is possible.. and if so it would be nice to isolate which was the culprit.

RGB is just analogue and fairly unsophisticated so one would not expect any major conflicts between devices.
The fault description does give the impression of two different sync signals beating with each other.

The DVDR is not set to output NTSC perhaps?

A good scart lead is certainly worth trying. [ Must be fully wired and much preferred with individual core screening ]

Hopefully it would sort your problems... but if not and they have just obtained these units ... I cant help thinking that the problem should be thrown back at the retailer.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom