Toshiba G30/Benq FP241wz problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gromitboy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Gromitboy

Gromitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys, I've done a search on this and there can't find any info so I really am hoping that someone out there can help me...

I splashed out last week on a Toshiba G30-102 - I needed a replacement for my old computer and I thought I would mix business with pleasure. I'm a designer though so I need a decent display, therefore I also picked up the new (and very sexy) Benq FP241wz - I went for the z model for longevity.

Anyway, I chose these two models because they both have HDMI connections and I thought that I could max out the monitors 1920x1200 screen res. But to my dismay I have been trying all day and I just can't get a decent picture out of it. The problem that I'm having is that

a) the desktop looks awful (especially text which is extremely pixelated)
    b) when the laptop is set at 1920x1200 the desktop disappears off the sides and bottom of my screen (I can't see the toolbar)
    c) the display settings on the benq are all disabled, even though the monitor insists that they're not. I can't alter width or height.

Can anyone help please? This is driving me nuts, I've just spent £2000 and I feel like I was better off with my old crappy crt.

Thanks in advance!

2. Gromitboy

Gromitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A bios setting perhaps? I've checked the bios and I can't see anything related to the external monitor except a choice of PAL/NTSC.

I've also tried using an analogue connection (d-sub) to see if it would make a temporary fix - it seems to work fine, but I would like to utilise the capabilities of the HDMI connection so I can get a higher quality. I'm a designer and the only reason I bought the two pieces of equipment is because I thought that I could get a high res from the HDMI connections.

3. Gromitboy

Gromitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apologies for bumping this thread - but it is still unresolved and has just been moved to this forum by one of the admins. So perhaps someone here can help me?

I've now tried this with a different HD Screen - the Toshiba 32WLT66 - and I get exactly the same problem, so its definitely something to do with the HDMI output of the G30. Any suggestions would be welcome!!