Toshiba External Drive Fault

jupitercrew

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an external usb hard drive which according to the packaging, enclosure and instructions is a Toshiba model but the drive inside is Western Digital with WD model/serial numbers.

I have had it for a while as backup for documents and storage for my iTunes library but it isn't in constant use. It has now stopped communicating with the computer even though the power light is illuminating when switched on. I have opened the case up to see if there is anything obvious - which there isn't-and have also contacted Toshiba UK support but haven't received a reply.

If it has died is there likely to be a way where I can retrieve the files from it? It seems ironic that I've used this as a backup of important files and it's this drive I'm having a problem with!
Thanks

If it's a backup then why do you need to retrieve them rather than just duplicating the original copy again?

External drive failures are sometimes down to the power supply or USB to SATA converter which frequently leave the drive itself untouched. Plugging it into the computer directly (if you've got a desktop) or into another drive caddy/SATA to USB converter may allow you to access it.

If it's a backup then why do you need to retrieve them rather than just duplicating the original copy again?

Gaining access would allow me to retrieve my iTunes library. Although I have all the music included in it in various formats elsewhere the digital versions are on the external drive to save space on my computer.
With regard to connecting it directly to the PC: How would I go about that? At present it runs off it's own power supply adapter and is connected to the PC via a USB cable.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom