1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba ET1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by yabadaba, Sep 24, 2005.

1. yabadaba

yabadaba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Until I saw the Toshiba ET1 being advertised for £378 on PRC's website, I hadn't realised that a projector could be had for this kind of money. I've searched through posts on this forum and the ET1 certainly looks okay, but would I be able to get anything significantly better by upping my budget to say £500?

Also, the only experience I have, up to now, with projectors is with using a business model, InFocus LP600, which I sometimes borrow from my office over a weekend. I sit this on a table at one end of my lounge, connect it to a laptop and display the picture on a white sheet (I know, don't laugh!) that I pin onto the facing wall. I know this kind of set-up sounds laughable and hugely amateurish, but the picture fills almost the whole wall and, when focussed carefully, looks great. Now that cost my workplace about £1.5k, but I know it's not designed as a home cinema projector. would I be dissapointed with the picture from something like a Toshiba ET1, in comparison?

NB: Just measured my room, as I realise that is important! The projector could be anywhere up to 10ft away from the wall I want to project the image onto and the useable width of the wall is about 6ft.

2. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Toshiba ET1 is a widescreen (16:9) projector whereas the LP600 is 4:3

Toshiba ET1
    -------
    Lumens: 600
    Contrast: 600
    Resolution: 854 x 480
    Noise: 28db

InFocus LP600
    --------------
    Lumens: 2000
    Contrast: 1000:1
    Resolution: 1024x768
    Noise: 37db

The infocus has better features as you can see, it has enough light output to watch in a lighted environment whereas the Toshiba would need to be in a dark room.

The 37db Infocus is a noisy projector. 25db or lower is reccomended for movie watching.

You can read more about each projector here

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-LP600.htm
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Toshiba_TACP-TLP-ET1.htm

I havent seen either projector so cant really comment on picture quality but the stats shown above would make me want the InFocus.

Anim

3. yabadaba

yabadaba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your comments. I won't be buying the InFocus as I can't afford it. I could keep borrowing it from work, but I really would prefer to actually own a projector instead. I was hoping that by looking for a home cinema instead of business model, I might be able to afford something that would at least come close to the InFocus in terms of PQ.

4. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm sure some of the other forum members here will have some input and hopefully tell you what pj would suit you for your budget.

Edit: You could also look through the buyers guides located in my faq sig

Anim

5. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Seems an obvious thing to say, but the more you spend the better the image. If you upped your budget a little you could bag yourself a relative bargain in the Sharp XV-Z91E form Shoot & Show / Nexnix for £468.83. It is a 4:3 design not 16:9 and you would need to see if your not adversely affected by the Rainbow Effect, however should prove to be a good first time projector. Alternatively you could check the classified section of this forum, plenty of bargains to bag there.

http://www.shootandshow.com/

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I demoed the toshiba and found it to have a nasty chicken wire effect, maybe because of the low res panels. I also tried the Sony HS10 which is also a LCD projector, it was very impressive and certainly a match for my X1.

Although neither me or most of my friends suffer from rainbows (i did origionaly but got used to it after a few hours and the have never returned, although when my friend sat next to me and figited i could see them :a little s) but one of my mates does if the lights are out, which i normaly insist on because the picture improves greatly. As its has a slower speed wheel than most 'modern' DLP's i doubt many people will be effected by them.

Look on the forum and bet there will be a few Z3's coming up the Panasonic projectors are all good and get better on each generation these are all LCD based. The panasonic i tried, the PTE300 has a cool horizontal keystone so it could be placed pretty much anywere in the room and still display a square image, it work really well. No chicken wire on these, and i haven't seen any vertical banding on any yet so can't comment on hopw that looks or how frequent it comes up.

7. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ET-1 (for about 6 months now), and am very happy with it.

It may be a cheap PJ but it is perfectly watchable, and is great value. For a little more money you could look to the Benq 5120 for DLP or the Epson TW-10H for LCD.

The Benq is much newer, should have a better picture, but may have some build quality issues.
    The Epson has cheaper bulbs (usefull if you plan to keep it for awhile), and a zoom lens.

The chicken wire effect really isn't that bad (the trick it to adjust the focus so the pixels blur over the lines), and the Epson won't be much better in this regard.

The fixed (and very short) throw on the ET-1 is the biggest problem, meaning you have little freedom in positioning it.

I currently use the ET-1 with a Pio 575 dvd (via prog. scan component) and an Epson screen. The whole let came to less than 550 quid, less than 100 quid per ft of screen.

When I got the ET the Panasonic AE700/Sanyo Z3 etc. were all about 1400-1500 quid. Best thing I can say about my ET is that the Z4 etc. arn't likely to tempt me, it'll probably do me to the Z5, by then I won't be able to resist HD.

I'd go for it, don't expect the get the same brightness, but close the curtains, crack open a beer and just enjoy the films.

Mine came from oyyy, which might save you a fiver depending on delivery: http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2334&jssCart=4f53b84e97ef4836b00d2ef0eed06c9b

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That's a new way to measure value! :thumbsup:

The Hitachi PJTX100 has been £1K since at least Sept '04 which is when I started looking. Cheapest way into WXGA at that time...PJ :)

9. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to admit I missed the TX100 when I was first looking, I think I had some kind of AE700 fixation at the time. Ending up spending ages trying to figure out what would be best for me, how much to spend etc. I just sort of froze (panic not buying?)

Once the ET1 dropped (when I was first looking it was nearly 700 quid), I figured sod it, if it's useless I'll stick it on e-bay and won't loose too much, if it's any good I can run it for a couple of years and by then I'll know what I really need from a PJ, and how much I'm willing to pay for it.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You were not alone by any means. I still can't work out why the 700/Z3 were so much more expensive at the time, and why more people didn't plump for the TX.

If the ET1 was going for the price you got it for when I was looking I may well have been tempted too...PJ :)

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    My message before was not intended to rubish the Toshiba, rather it was just my observation of a few LCD projectors i have demo'ed. It was unfair of me to contrast the Toshiba which costs around £400-500 with a sony rrp of 1500-2000 and a panasonic at a similar price.

12. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have thought the kind of differnce you saw will be a fair indication of the kind of difference the OP would see between this and the LP600.

There are two kinds of cheap:

Cheap but you wish you hadn't bothered (Tiny Plasma anyone?)
    Or cheap, but enjoyable anyway.

I think the ET-1 fits in the second group. Put it side to side against a more expensive machine and it will come off worse (after all, it should), however, when I sit down and just watch a film I enjoy it, and considering the price that strikes me as good value.