1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba ET1 fan speed/noise

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by emporer, Aug 23, 2005.

1. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    Having had this for 6 weeks now, and enjoying it alot, ive noticed that after it's been fired up from cold about 40 mins later the fan noise will get a fair bit louder and the speed of the fan seems to go up and down every few mins or so. Anyone else had similar things happen? I presume it's just how the pj is meant to work. Also i'm thinking of using the component input for my dvd's as i'm currently swapping a scart between dvd and sky, anyone do this? is it worth it for the quality difference?

2. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I haven't noticed this problem but will keep my ears open! Have you tried running it in low power mode? I can't stand the racket it makes on the brighter setting and the difference in brightness is hardly worth mentioning.

Definitely go for component inputs! Also make sure you use progressive scan if you can.

I am just about to make a screen, after which I intend to post some pics of the projector in action. Look forward to hearing how it compares with other setups!

3. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the comparisons I've seen it's actually one of the quieter fans (I certainly wouldn't want it any louder).

It's temp. reactive so it does speed up when it's been on for awhile, putting the lamp on low power mode makes a big difference to the fan noise (and as suggested doesn't reduce brightness much).

When I first got mine I had a Wharfdale 750 DVD via Scart (RGB), I then reaplaced this with a Pioneer 575 via component/prog scan. The image is sharper and more stable (the improvement was visable immediately, not just a small difference). Turning on prog scan on the DVD player made most of the improvement, rather than just the component connection.

The Pio 575 cost me a hundred from richer sounds (multi region) and the component cable was about about 12 quid from www.cableuniverse.co.uk (both forum sponsors)

Screen wise I use an Epson tripod screen, about 60inches. If you've not sorted out a screen yet that's the biggest single improvement you can make, even if it's just some blackout cloth it will look far better than a wall.

Of course if the fan noise is a problem the cheapest/easiest upgrade you can make is to the amp volume, go on, my amp goes up to 11! Turn it up, your neighbours hate you anyway.

4. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    Thanks for the advice guys, i've been running it on full power since new and next time I watch something i'll drop it down and see if it helps. I think the main reason is because it's directly above my head on the ceiling. If its temp controlled I could also try having my aircon going, its a split kit and very quiet.

Screen wise, ive got a da-lite 70 inch pulldown jobby which copes well. Its going back to get replaced next week as its got a ripple or two on it that I just can't get rid of and its doing my head right in. I did purchase a nice 8x4 bit of whit hardboard which i'm going to brace to make it totally straight and see how that goes, just a temp measure untill I get the da-lite back.

I do think i'll go down the component route, I have a Buffalo Linktheater connected to my pv500 and when I get round to it i'll split the output to both pj and plasma. It should look good using 720/1080