Toshiba epg - changing channels

wanadrive

Standard Member
Recently bought the Toshiba RD-88DTKB, due to some good reviews and good price. Have discovered you cannot change the channel you are viewing via the epg. This is very annoying. Looking round this forum, I see this is not a fault with my machine.

My questions are:
1. Is this true with all dvd recorders?
2. Is there anything I can do about it other than use the epg to find what's on, exit it and then punch in the channel number?

Gavtech

Administrator
Recently bought the Toshiba RD-88DTKB, due to some good reviews and good price. Have discovered you cannot change the channel you are viewing via the epg. This is very annoying. Looking round this forum, I see this is not a fault with my machine.

My questions are:
1. Is this true with all dvd recorders?

Have you checked that it may be in regard of the way you use it [ I don't know - just querying]

For example - These being recording devices, the principle function of the EPG is for programming... so that if a programme is selected [ in the case of Sony / Panasonic / Pioneer recorders,]... then the user is taken to the timer screen with the parameters of that programme already loaded.

However, to provide a dual function, to get the kind of use you require, if a current programme is selected from the EPG, then the user is taken to that channel.

This actually annoys a lot of users for the opposite reason: That it cannot be used as a method of programming a currently running title.

wanadrive

Standard Member
If you bring up the current programme, you can either get to the timer settings page or it takes you back to the channel you were watching before

Gavtech

Administrator
If you bring up the current programme, you can either get to the timer settings page or it takes you back to the channel you were watching before

... which suggests that Toshiba have opted for a different strategy.

wanadrive

Standard Member
So, looks like I've got to put up with the family complaining that they can't change channel with epg!!!

We've been using the dvd tuner as our source for watching tv, rather than the tv's built in freeview tuner, as then you can just use the timeslip thing any time you want. Do most people do this, or do most people with our kind of setup only use the dvd tuner for recording and the built in tv tuner the rest of the time? Any pros/cons?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom