Toshiba EP30 & Yamaha RX2600 Receiver?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Anyone using the above combination (or any other Toshiba HD DVD player with said receiver)? I am looking to upgrade my living room setup which is currently centred around a Yamaha 2600 receiver and a number of other bits that I have decommissioned from my home cinema/other setups. However I have a slight compatibility concern.

I remember when the 2600 was paired with my old Samsung BDP1000 and Toshiba XA1 I had snags with the HDMI audio: namely that when set to PCM it only output (or the receiver only could handle) twin channel audio. I never got to the cause of the problem because due to upgrades, change of connections and a revised setup the problem became moot.

However I am now looking at the EP30 which would require the HDMI audio setup to work (the EP35/XE1 is not as option as the wife wouldn't want to select multi-channel audio input on the amp everytime - it needs to be a one button press). I can pair up the PS3 and it works fine so it's not a fundamental failing of the receiver. So does anyone have any experience of pairing Toshiba HD DVD players to the RX2600?

BTW: Happy New Year to all. :clap:

emthree

I have A35 and the Yamaha 2600, connected via an HDMI lead. It is absolutely painless. Yamaha is very good at passing through all audio codecs decoded by the player.

Hope this helps!

BTW, I also have a PS3 connected via HDMI and like you, have experienced no problem. The only slight distraction is that one has to switch between PS3 and Toshiba manually using the Yamaha remote whenever you want to go from playing PS3 to Toshiba and vice versa. I wish it was an automatic process, i.e. whichever player one switched on, Yamaha would automatically recognize it.

Happy new year to all!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Cheers emthree - very useful to know :thumbsup:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I have A35 and the Yamaha 2600, connected via an HDMI lead. It is absolutely painless.
Sorry to be a pain but can I ask what settings you have enabled in your audio menu. Try as I might my 2600/XE1 pairing will not give anything other than 2 channel PCM over HDMI. :rolleyes:

emthree

Sorry to be a pain but can I ask what settings you have enabled in your audio menu. Try as I might my 2600/XE1 pairing will not give anything other than 2 channel PCM over HDMI. :rolleyes:

Been away from the forum the last few days. I don't remember doing anything special to the audio settings. Do remember to press standard or movie or something similar on the yamaha remote. In my case, I only get 2 channel stereo if I press stereo button, IIRC. Standard or Movie gets me 5.1 channel PCM and the front panel shows the figurative 5 speaker blocks on the right with the words MPCM appearing alongside.

Cheers and hope you have been sorted by now!

emthree

Here are my audio settings on the A35 Rasczak:

Digital Out SPDIF---> Bitstream
Digital out HDMA---->Auto
Digital Direct Audio Mode----->On
Dynamic Range Control------>Off
Dialog Enhancement------>Off
Speaker Setting------>5.1ch

Hope it helps!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom