Toshiba EP30 to Samsung LE32R87BDX

S

slid_away

Hi All
I am new here so please forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times, I did trawl through a load of post but ended up more confused!
Anyway, I have the above HD DVD player and LCD HD TV. I must be honest and say I am not getting a picture that is blowing me away, yeah its an improvement on SD DVD but not outstanding. I am using the HDMI lead which came with the player but was wondering if there are any setup's I should be doing to both TV and DVD to get a better player. I am running it in 720p. Dark scenes are very grainy, esp 300. The sunlight( light scenes are much much better). Any setting's that someone may have would be greatfully recieved.
Also, has anyone noticed how the major store chains seem to be pushing for Blu-Ray rather than HD? I am finding it hard to fet HD disc's but every major store sells Blu-Ray.
Thanks all.

Hi All
I am new here so please forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times, I did trawl through a load of post but ended up more confused!
Anyway, I have the above HD DVD player and LCD HD TV. I must be honest and say I am not getting a picture that is blowing me away, yeah its an improvement on SD DVD but not outstanding. I am using the HDMI lead which came with the player but was wondering if there are any setup's I should be doing to both TV and DVD to get a better player. I am running it in 720p. Dark scenes are very grainy, esp 300. The sunlight( light scenes are much much better). Any setting's that someone may have would be greatfully recieved.
Hi slid_away and welcome to the forum. :)
300 does have grain in the film and this is intentionable as the director wanted it that way. :)
Settings for your LCD trying asking here. :smashin:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

You will be far better using 1080i as well as the built in de-interlacer on the R87 and R88 is extremely good.

You will be far better using 1080i as well as the built in de-interlacer on the R87 and R88 is extremely good.
Hi Leckie, You mean running 1080i on my HD DVD player? Whats the built in de-interlacer and what do I do?
I'm Rubbish!!

Hi Leckie, You mean running 1080i on my HD DVD player? Whats the built in de-interlacer and what do I do?
I'm Rubbish!!

Hi mate :)
Switch to 1080i in the player menu and then see what the picture's like on your TV. :smashin:

Hi slid,

please can you update us on the outcome of this action ?

can you post the results from other HD-DVD disks and the best settings (both TV and HD-DVD) you can find please ?

does this combination do forced 24fps anyone ?

why not set to 1080p ?

much appreciated

Hey I also have this DVD player and the 26" version of Slid Away's tv and I'm pretty sure that the TV only does 720P. I had the same problem as well, I put 300 in and the picture was really grainy and I thought this is rubbish, I went to work and then got home and tried a different HD DVD and was amazed at the picture.

Hi slid,

can you post the results from other HD-DVD disks and the best settings (both TV and HD-DVD) you can find please ?

why not set to 1080p ?

much appreciated

slid or anyone - can you please answer my questions ?

cheers

Yes !

This is the combination i am considering (32 inch samsung with EP30)

Just wondered if it would do forced 24 fps (i.e. no judder) and what settings to put them on for the best picture

Am keen to play .MTS files, preferably from a USB stick if this is possible with this (or which other ?!) player

Really appreciate some answers

Cheers

Yes !

This is the combination i am considering (32 inch samsung with EP30)

Just wondered if it would do forced 24 fps (i.e. no judder) and what settings to put them on for the best picture

Really appreciate some answers

Cheers

Not sure on the files question,but no FORCED 1080p/24 i'm afraid. :(

sorry - maybe i should have started at the beginning !!!

have a samsung lcd tv and want a cheap hd player that will do forced 24fps hd-dvd and play .MTS files from a USB stick

maybe an upscaling SD- DVD player ?

really appreciate any suggestions

sorry - maybe i should have started at the beginning !!!

have a samsung lcd tv and want a cheap hd player that will do forced 24fps hd-dvd and play .MTS files from a USB stick

maybe an upscaling SD- DVD player ?

really appreciate any suggestions

Hi mate :)
No HD dvd players have FORCED 24fps and SD dvd is at 25fps. :smashin:

Hi slid,

why not set to 1080p ?

much appreciated
Hi Begentle
Sorry for not getting on sooner, I've been busy.
I tired the 1080i setting as suggested and I honestly think there is an improvment in picture quality rather than using the 720i.
I watched SD DVD of Happy Gilmore at the weekend the picture quality was amazing. I also got Transformers on HD and that really did blow me away.
I have not tried any other settings on my TV yet apart from whats set up on Standard but I would, like yourself be very interested in anyone who has the above two TV and HD player to give some setting. I know Curly has gone to great lenghths to cover nearly every peice of equipment for the TV settings and I am using his for the Freeview and it did improve the picture for me.

and the best settings (both TV and HD-DVD) you can find please ?

why not set to 1080p ?

much appreciated

The TV he is asking about (i have the 40 inch version) does not accept a 1080p signal and only has a 1360x768 pannel. It also does not support 24fps mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom