Toshiba EP30 Region Free Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutch

Any chance you can host the file elsewhere? ive been trying to get it for the past 5 hours but all im getting is a Skydrive page saying the page cant be loaded :suicide:

If I cant get it at this time of night in the UK ive got no chance during the day!

khitomer

As an alternative, once I have used discs this evening (successfully I hope) I would quite happily post them off to anyone who is stuck trying to either make discs or download files. If this is acceptable to the moderators? First to PM me can have them in the post tomorrow. If I get a load of requests then it would be a case of each person passing on to next.

Viking61

can you please post how you got it sorted
incase any of us has the same problem
cheers mate
Hi mate.

I think you have some problems with your email addy. My invitation to the shared folder was not delivered.

Last edited:

Viking61

As an alternative, once I have used discs this evening (successfully I hope) I would quite happily post them off to anyone who is stuck trying to either make discs or download files. If this is acceptable to the moderators? First to PM me can have them in the post tomorrow. If I get a load of requests then it would be a case of each person passing on to next.
Print the installation procedure and send that with the discs. :smashin:

Last edited:

Viking61

Sounds like a good idea. :)

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Can the installation procedure on page 1 of this thread be used ?

Also when applying v4 afterwards do you use the EP30 or EP35 firmware ?

:)

khitomer

Procedure is one and the same.

If you are doing the ep30 adatation then it is the ep30 firmware you want use. If it's the ep35 dirty method then I believe it should be the ep35 firmware, if Viking61 can confirm that?

Viking61

Can the installation procedure on page 1 of this thread be used ?

Also when applying v4 afterwards do you use the EP30 or EP35 firmware ?

:)
There is only one installation procedure. The only difference is that you use EP35-Dirty2.iso as the second disc if you want to make the EP30 into an EP35.

Concerning v4 update afterwards. If the player is in EP30-mode, you use EP30 firmware. If the player is in EP35-mode, you use EP35 firmware.

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
There is only one installation procedure. The only difference is that you use EP35-Dirty2.iso as the second disc if you want to make the EP30 into an EP35.

If the player is in EP30-mode, you use EP30 firmware. If the player is in EP35-mode, you use EP35 firmware.
Thanks, I have both EP30 dirty firmwares atm .. but I think I would be tempted to change it to an EP35 :)

Have tried the skydrive page again but still not having any luck .. can you use that other thing you sent me for the EP35 dirty2 ?? :)

Viking61

Thanks, I have both EP30 dirty firmwares atm .. but I think I would be tempted to change it to an EP35 :)

Have tried the skydrive page again but still not having any luck .. can you use that other thing you sent me for the EP35 dirty2 ?? :)
I think there is something wrong with your email addy. I got the invitation I sent you for the shared folder in return. Is it possible for you to make a new Live Messenger ID? If not, we can do it the 'other way'.

hutch

How long is Step 4/4 supposed to take on Dirty2? Its been on for about 15 minutes now and im getting worried....

hutch

And as he presses submit reply it ejects :rotfl:

Viking61

How long is Step 4/4 supposed to take on Dirty2? Its been on for about 15 minutes now and im getting worried....
Sometimes up to 25 - 30 minutes. Don't worry. :D

hutch

RCE HACK.
1) Turn on player
2) Open tray, put disc in tray but don´t close
3) Push T.search on remote
4) Push 1, 3, 9 and "Region number" (e.g. 1 for US discs)
5) Push T. search on remote.

You will see TEST on your player

6) Press PLAY on the remote

When player is turned off, this setting is cleared.
Yes, just tried my USA Fight Club with RCE and its playing perfectly.

Cant thank you enough Viking

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I think there is something wrong with your email addy. I got the invitation I sent you for the shared folder in return. Is it possible for you to make a new Live Messenger ID? If not, we can do it the 'other way'.
Installing a new Windows Live account .. hopefully this will work :)

chic

Sometimes up to 25 - 30 minutes. Don't worry. :D
I worrying with mine:D as it seemed to take ages and i though i bricked the tosh, but then it ejected and its working fine.

Sephiroth0000

Right first off big hand to Viking for all his hard work and determination for which none of this would be possible. You have my thanks.:thumbsup:

On to the matter at hand. I have read the instructions, downloaded the nesscary files and am going to attempt it this evening. My question is what effects is this going to have with regards to audio playback? I currently have it connected to an Onkyo 605 HDMI Amp and can currently get TruHD, etc. After doing the region free update if I go back to ver 4 will it go back to being an EP30?

Spong

Standard Member
Has anyone tried this with an HD-A30 or HD-A35 yet? I sold my A30 a few weeks ago after all the empty promises and cloak and dagger carry on by our "Australian friend" who sold us his firmware and it came to nothing. His attempts failed, and a group of us went through a total of 3x payment/refund cycles, before he just disappeared with no explanation.
Viking61, you're a legend, and have restored my faith. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Viking61

After doing the region free update if I go back to ver 4 will it go back to being an EP30?
If you crossflash your player into EP35-mode, then you will use the EP35 version 4 to upgrade to the latest firmware. It will still be a regionfree "EP35" after the upgrade.

alpine101

If you crossflash your player into EP35-mode, then you will use the EP35 version 4 to upgrade to the latest firmware. It will still be a regionfree "EP35" after the upgrade.
It appears to have been confirmed that since the DACs to do bit streaming are missing, that feature doesn't work on the modded EP30. So what, please are the advantages/ extra features gained by changing the player to EP35 mode?

dj_ooms

Hey guys,

Okay I have tried to fully test the modified EP30-to-EP35 dirty technique. I have used the following films for test purposes:

Blade Trinity R1 DVD Dolby Digital EX & DTS-ES Discrete
Superman Returns R2 HD-DVD Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 & Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1
Terminator 2 (German) R2 HD-DVD DTS-HD Hi Res 7.1
Pan's Labyrinth R1 HD-DVD DTS-HD MA 7.1

I can confirm that the following codecs are working via bistream using HDMI:

Dolby Digital EX Working Dolby D EX displayed
DTS-ES Discrete Working ES Discrete displayed
Dolby Digital Plus Working Dolby Digital Plus and EX displayed
DTS-HD Hi-Res Working DTS-HD HI RES displayed

7.1 audio is working but has only been tested on on T2 German version that has a 7.1 DTS-HD Hi-Res track. I do not have any HD-DVDs with 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus tracks. .

The following codecs are not working on the this modified HD-DVD player using bistream via HDMI:

Dolby Digital TrueHD Not Working Stereo displayed but no audio
DTS-HD MA Not Working Stereo displayed but no audio

It is a bit disappointing that the uncompressed audio codecs do not work but I suppose we should not have expected a lower specified model to perform like it's bigger brother. This therefore confirms that the internal circuitry is different in the EP30. The compressed codecs do work though and still sound fantastic.

I have also tested the player with normal multichannel PCM audio through HDMI and the following work:

Dolby Digital EX Working Dolby D EX displayed
DTS-ES Discrete Working ES Discrete displayed
Dolby Digital Plus Working MultiCh displayed – 5.1 audio only
DTS-HD Hi-Res Working MultiCh displayed – 5.1 audio only
Dolby Digital TrueHD Working MultiCh displayed – 5.1 audio only
DTS-HD MA Working MultiCh displayed – 5.1 audio only

Both DTS-HD tracks were tested with 7.1 audio tracks but as expected only 5.1 audio is being sent. I believe the EP35 will also only do 5.1 through PCM but I have never tested it seeing as my amp can do the HD decoding.

I hope this helps everyone.

Thanks and regards,

Ooms

Viking61

It appears to have been confirmed that since the DACs to do bit streaming are missing, that feature doesn't work on the modded EP30. So what, please are the advantages/ extra features gained by changing the player to EP35 mode?
I don't know anything about the sound bit, so if it was a question to me I'm afraid that I can't answer. I just accidently found out it was possible to crossflash it while doing some tinkering with the firmware.

Edit.
I suppose Ooms already provided the answer. :D

Last edited:

Nic Rhodes

Good job DJ ooms. Well done Viking. Stirling job here. Can you send me the links please. THANKS all. The Forum at it's best.

Viking61

Good job DJ ooms. Well done Viking. Stirling job here. Can you send me the links please. THANKS all. The Forum at it's best.
PM me your Live Messenger or Hotmail ID.

Viking61

dj_ooms, were the tests run on firmware version 1.3 or 4.0?

dj_ooms

Tests were run on firmware version 4.0

Viking61

Tests were run on firmware version 4.0
That's good. Then we know that all the sound improvements of later firmwares were implemented. :thumbsup:

So what is your advice? Will a person with a HD amp be better off in EP30-mode or EP35-mode?

Last edited:

dj_ooms

In any case I can see that flashing the EP30 to a EP35 gives you a few advantages. You still have all the features of the EP30 plus it allows you to bistream some of the codecs with full 7.1 audio. While sending the audio via PCM method you have to set the multichannel output to 5.1 . Setting to 2ch outputs exactly that - Stereo audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.