Toshiba EP30 or EP35 Player? Please help me decide.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to get shot of the old 360 HD DVD add on and get one of the above I think. Just trying to decide what to go for, have no need for the analogue outs on the EP35 as I'll do everything over HDMI. Could I get away with buying the EP30? I'm just really trying to confirm that I will be able to get the full Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio from the EP30.

I'm in a very similar situation. Apart from the obvious advantage of a standalone over the Addon the main reason I want one of these new players is to take advantage of the new sound formats..

One point I've noticed... Or at least I hope I am right in this.. :D Is that the EP30 will not output True-HD or DTS-MA over HDMI as a bitstream... Both will output LPCM however....

The difference is your player does the decoding or you send the bitstream to your amp and that does the decoding... what difference this will make to the sound, is what I don't know... and will only know for sure if I get the EP35 :devil:

For this reason I would prefer a EP35, but what difference this will make, and if that is worth £100, plus what other difference there are I'm still not sure about ;)

Have a look at AV sales.com they have downloadable PDF's on both players on their website..

I'm in a very similar situation. Apart from the obvious advantage of a standalone over the Addon the main reason I want one of these new players is to take advantage of the new sound formats..

One point I've noticed... Or at least I hope I am right in this.. :D Is that the EP30 will not output True-HD or DTS-MA over HDMI as a bitstream... Both will output LPCM however....

The difference is your player does the decoding or you send the bitstream to your amp and that does the decoding... what difference this will make to the sound, is what I don't know... and will only know for sure if I get the EP35 :devil:

For this reason I would prefer a EP30, but what difference this will make, and if that is worth £100, plus what other difference there are I'm still not sure about ;)

Have a look at AV sales.com they have downloadable PDF's on both players on their website..

Cheers for this. Must admit I could live with just LPCM to be honest with you, the Blu Ray's I've heard with PCM soundtracks have been excellent to date.

I looked at the PDFs from AVSALES yesterday and they seemed more at the glossy brochure end, rather than the technical spec end.

I'm really stuck deciding which to go for (also upgrading from Xbox 360). I have quite an old amp, so either I go for the EP30 and stick with whatever it downmixes the HD audio to (DD or DTS) via optical out and put the money "saved" towards the vague pot marked "amp upgrade" or get the EP35 and use the analogue outs into the amp, although I think the DSP-E800 needs manual switching between use of these inputs and the regular inputs, which is not ideal.

Hmmm, HD audio jam today or jam tomorrow?

The only other difference according to those PDFs seems to be that the EP35 supports HDMI "Deep colour function". No idea how worthwhile that is to me.

It'll be interesting to see whether there are any differences between them once they start to get analysed & reviewed properly, for example in processing chips, upscaling ability, etc.

Damn, I hate deciding to buy something and then having to wait for it to be released!

I looked at the PDFs from AVSALES yesterday and they seemed more at the glossy brochure end, rather than the technical spec end.

I'm really stuck deciding which to go for (also upgrading from Xbox 360). I have quite an old amp, so either I go for the EP30 and stick with whatever it downmixes the HD audio to (DD or DTS) via optical out and put the money "saved" towards the vague pot marked "amp upgrade" or get the EP35 and use the analogue outs into the amp, although I think the DSP-E800 needs manual switching between use of these inputs and the regular inputs, which is not ideal.

Hmmm, HD audio jam today or jam tomorrow?

The only other difference according to those PDFs seems to be that the EP35 supports HDMI "Deep colour function". No idea how worthwhile that is to me.

It'll be interesting to see whether there are any differences between them once they start to get analysed & reviewed properly, for example in processing chips, upscaling ability, etc.

Damn, I hate deciding to buy something and then having to wait for it to be released!

More one for the future I believe the deep colour, I think you've got to have a telly that's HDMI 1.3 as well to take advatage of that. I think the main point that stands out for me between the two models is that the EP35 does 7.1 bitstream audio output. If I can't get any further clarification between now and when they're released I think I'll pay the extra and get the EP35 (probably be easier to get one as well I'd imagine).

i have the A30 and choose not to get the A35 as i am also using hdmi to get my audio and didnt care about the better upscaleing prossesor. I get awesome results with my ps3 for this so you might be better going the way i did and get the a30. also the A30 does upscale very well but still prefer me ps3 for this.

i have the A30 and choose not to get the A35 as i am also using hdmi to get my audio and didnt care about the better upscaleing prossesor. I get awesome results with my ps3 for this so you might be better going the way i did and get the a30. also the A30 does upscale very well but still prefer me ps3 for this.

Thanks for the info, to be honest with you I'd prefer to pay £250 for the EP30 I'm just a bit concerned about whether I will be able to hear the full Dolby Tru HD and DTS MA or whether you may need the bitstream 7.1 facility that the EP35 has over the EP30

Thanks for the info, to be honest with you I'd prefer to pay £250 for the EP30 I'm just a bit concerned about whether I will be able to hear the full Dolby Tru HD and DTS MA or whether you may need the bitstream 7.1 facility that the EP35 has over the EP30

It's very confuseing on how it all works. but someone explained to me in simple person terms lol that it's like unzipping a file. either the player unzips the data then sends it to your amp or your amp unzips the data. Im going to try the later as im sure my amp must be able to do it better than the player but as i said it's so confuseing about the audio.

What are the boot & load times like for the A30?
I've got the Toshiba E1 atm and the startup and disc load times take the :censored:, the PS3 is much faster at booting & loading the disc imho. Was thinking of upgrading to either the E30 or E35 if the boot & load times are much faster this time. TIA :)

What are the boot & load times like for the A30?
I've got the Toshiba E1 atm and the startup and disc load times take the :censored:, the PS3 is much faster at booting & loading the disc imho. Was thinking of upgrading to either the E30 or E35 if the boot & load times are much faster this time. TIA :)

i think of the top of my head it's about 1 min 45 till start of disc and yes the PS3 is a lot quicker but hopefully this will be fixed with a firmware update at some point as it really is a joke.

i think of the top of my head it's about 1 min 45 till start of disc and yes the PS3 is a lot quicker but hopefully this will be fixed with a firmware update at some point as it really is a joke.
Thanks, I think I'll wait for that to be fixed before I upgrade or wait for some reviews of the A35/E35 as maybe that will be quicker. You'd think that Toshiba would have sorted that out by now, I'm buying less n less HD-DVD's cos of that fact, Blu-ray is getting most of my money atm due to the PS3 being a so much better & faster player. Maybe the Onkyo offering will be better, just wandering what the UK Price for it will be.

RE: Load & boot times, I wouldn't expect them to improve greatly via firmware updates etc, as most of it is a result of the machine having to boot an operating system etc which can't just magically be made quicker........

From owning an E1, I also would have liked things to happen more quickly, but at the end of the day, it's for watching films and what is 90 seconds or so? Once the film has started, the PQ & AQ are gonna be just immaculate......it's not like it inhibits playback quality in any way.

It seems that the PS3 is always used as a yardstick for boot and load times, but you have to remember that the PS3 has a Cell processor inside amongst a variety of advanced components......because it has to process several million high definition polygons every second in real time whilst applying all manner of fancy graphical and audio trickery. Standalone players on the other hand merely have to decode a few audio and video files which is vastly less processor intensive. I too own a PS3 and operationally it is quite luxurious, but if Toshiba were to start throwing a Cell processor inside every player then we'd be paying a few hundred more for them also.

Regarding HD audio (DD+, True HD), all Toshiba HD DVD players will decode this to LPCM internally and output via HDMI. You simply need an amp capable of taking LPCM via HDMI to benefit from these advanced sound codecs. If you wish to hear DTS-MA however, the players won't decode this, so it has to be fed from a compatible player to an amp vi bitstream for the player to then decode it.

Regarding HD audio (DD+, True HD), all Toshiba HD DVD players will decode this to LPCM internally and output via HDMI. You simply need an amp capable of taking LPCM via HDMI to benefit from these advanced sound codecs. If you wish to hear DTS-MA however, the players won't decode this, so it has to be fed from a compatible player to an amp vi bitstream for the player to then decode it.

You've reminded me of something I read on here regarding DTS-MA and the processor musscle required to decode it. I believe this is the current restriction on standalones decoding DTS-MA? Has it been confirmed that no players on the horizon will be able to decode the MA on board ?? If so on the one hand I'm thinking that the EP35 then with DTS-MA Bitstream output would make sense... but then again.. :D if 90% or more of HD users are unable to decode this then how many titles will feature it??

I was also reading in the amp/reciever forum that not only do the players have to be able to output bitstream HD audio, but the discs themselves have to be authoured to 'allow' this. The interactive features that required onboard decoding in the player, has resulted in most discs not allowing this.. *(Dec07 - this now appears not to be true and so far every HD-DVD I've played has allowed bitstream output!)*

I'll have to see how common DTS-MA is already.. and then of course consider how likely I am to notice the difference on my humble set-up :confused: I was reading .. :D again on the forum.. that there's little noticable difference between bitstream and LPCM going to the amp in terms of audiable difference, apart from at lower volumes where Bitstream performs better..*(IMO there is a difference and Bitstream sounds better)*

Is this, and the quality of onboard upscalling, really the only difference between the players??

What about onboard storage for the web enabled interactive features etc etc.. I presume both have a bit?? But how much? Both seem to feature an "Expansion Terminal" (USB?) which I presume may be used for additional storage? But what about current on board storage?

:smashin:

Just been checking a US forum.. and it appears the EP30 and EP35 will only decode the core DTS track to LPCM.(at 1.5Mbps) Not the DTS-MA or the 'middle' spec DTS-HR. So the EP30 is unlikely to ever give you a DTS tracks above the core, where as the EP35 will allow you to send the DTS bitstream to your reciever giving you DTS-HR and DTS-MA. (with suitable reciever of course) In the same thread however, the point is made.. how many titles have the DTS-MA?.. The way I understood the DTS HD format, was that all DTS HD discs will have all 3 levels of the DTS as it is more a single item, with 3 levels.. Is this right? I guess the golden question then is what audiable difference is there between True HD and DTS-MA and will DTS-MA equiped titles always have True HD.. back to the search.. ;)

Ok, done some more reading and it appears that no one knows for sure what improvements the Ep35 will offer over the EP30 ! :D apart from Bitstream, analogue outs and deep colour as mentioned.. However the good news is the US is expecting these models soon.. so we should get some hands on reviews soon... I hope ! :D

Deep Colour - It is as already stated an additional feature made possible with the HDMI 1.3a version. However you do need a compatable display, not sure if recievers with HDMI 1.3 just pass thru or not? Also though Deep colour is not part of the HD-DVD spec, so it is not required, just a possible addition to the discs if the studios wish... (And it has to be encoded on the disc, it isn't just a player process) so perhaps this will be a feature of the HD 'special addition, re-releases' a few years later.. ;) Perhaps it'll never really happen ???

Bitstream v's PCM - this appears to be a hotley debated subject.. The EP35 will allow this with all formats upto and including DTS-MA the EP30 won't.. Yet although this flexibility, that most people have with their current SD set up, where both the amp and player can decode the sound and convert to analogue, allows for greater freedom there are reasons for the differing opinon in it's merits. Mainly with the spread of HDMI equiped players and recievers, capable of using PCM, the argument that it's better to pass coded bit stream to the amp, where it will usually perform a better D/A conversion than the player, is not valid anymore as the PCM is of course still digital, even if 'decoded' so there's no advantage with getting the amp to decode rather than the player, the amp will still do the D/A conversion..

There are also drawbacks to passing the bitstream. Many believe that the interactive features will not 'be heard' as this requires the on board decoding where the extra sound is added to the movie track.. So if you are outputting bitstream, you will loose some functionality. The possible advantages are the ability of the amp to accept PCM over HDMI or rather the way in which the amp handles both PCM and bitstream.. will some perform one better than the other. And if the amp used can apply various sound modes.. (such as THX 7.1 from 5.1) to both PCM and bitstream..

I guess we'll have a lot more answers before these players hit the UK.

It seems so far to me though.. as I expect you would hope, given the price difference, that the EP35 is simply more 'future proof' than the EP30... but then there are some features that may not be used for years.. or even become kind of pointless.. Yet the EP30 is more reasonablly priced, but I guess you are more likely to find a limitation in the future.. But will either player be a long term solution, HD-DVD may have finished specs, but experience tells me in 12 months there will be standard features I haven't even considered yet, and these may not be avaliable in the 3rd gen players.. so maybe a cheaper player now makes more sense.. :rolleyes: Argghh.. it's tricky! :D

You've reminded me of something I read on here regarding DTS-MA and the processor musscle required to decode it. I believe this is the current restriction on standalones decoding DTS-MA? Has it been confirmed that no players on the horizon will be able to decode the MA on board ?? If so on the one hand I'm thinking that the EP35 then with DTS-MA Bitstream output would make sense... but then again.. :D if 90% or more of HD users are unable to decode this then how many titles will feature it??

I was also reading in the amp/reciever forum that not only do the players have to be able to output bitstream HD audio, but the discs themselves have to be authoured to 'allow' this. The interactive features that required onboard decoding in the player, has resulted in most discs not allowing this..

I'll have to see how common DTS-MA is already.. and then of course consider how likely I am to notice the difference on my humble set-up :confused: I was reading .. :D again on the forum.. that there's little noticable difference between bitstream and LPCM going to the amp in terms of audiable difference, apart from at lower volumes where Bitstream performs better..

Is this, and the quality of onboard upscalling, really the only difference between the players??

What about onboard storage for the web enabled interactive features etc etc.. I presume both have a bit?? But how much? Both seem to feature an "Expansion Terminal" (USB?) which I presume may be used for additional storage? But what about current on board storage?

Just been checking a US forum.. and it appears the EP30 and EP35 will only decode the core DTS track to LPCM.(at 1.5Mbps) Not the DTS-MA or the 'middle' spec DTS-HR. So the EP30 is unlikely to ever give you a DTS tracks above the core, where as the EP35 will allow you to send the DTS bitstream to your reciever giving you DTS-HR and DTS-MA. (with suitable reciever of course) In the same thread however, the point is made.. how many titles have the DTS-MA?.. The way I understood the DTS HD format, was that all DTS HD discs will have all 3 levels of the DTS as it is more a single item, with 3 levels.. Is this right? I guess the golden question then is what audiable difference is there between True HD and DTS-MA and will DTS-MA equiped titles always have True HD.. back to the search.. ;)

Ok, done some more reading and it appears that no one knows for sure what improvements the Ep35 will offer over the EP30 ! :D apart from Bitstream, analogue outs and deep colour as mentioned.. However the good news is the US is expecting these models soon.. so we should get some hands on reviews soon... I hope ! :D

Deep Colour - It is as already stated an additional feature made possible with the HDMI 1.3a version. However you do need a compatable display, not sure if recievers with HDMI 1.3 just pass thru or not? Also though Deep colour is not part of the HDMI spec, so it is not required, just a possible addition to the discs if the studios wish... (And it has to be encoded on the disc, it isn't just a player process) so perhaps this will be a feature of the HD 'special addition, re-releases' a few years later.. ;) Perhaps it'll never really happen ???

Bitstream v's PCM - this appears to be a hotley debated subject.. The EP35 will allow this with all formats upto and including DTS-MA the EP30 won't.. Yet although this flexibility, that most people have with their current SD set up, where both the amp and player can decode the sound and convert to analogue, allows for greater freedom there are reasons for the differing opinon in it's merits. Mainly with the spread of HDMI equiped players and recievers, capable of using PCM, the argument that it's better to pass coded bit stream to the amp, where it will usually perform a better D/A conversion than the player, is not valid anymore as the PCM is of course still digital, even if 'decoded' so there's no advantage with getting the amp to decode rather than the player, the amp will still do the D/A conversion..

There are also drawbacks to passing the bitstream. Many believe that the interactive features will not 'be heard' as this requires the on board decoding where the extra sound is added to the movie track.. So if you are outputting bitstream, you will loose some functionality. The possible advantages are the ability of the amp to accept PCM over HDMI or rather the way in which the amp handles both PCM and bitstream.. will some perform one better than the other. And if the amp used can apply various sound modes.. (such as THX 7.1 from 5.1) to both PCM and bitstream..

It seems so far to me though.. as I expect you would hope, given the price difference, that the EP35 is simply more 'future proof' than the EP30... but then there are some features that may not be used for years.. or even become kind of pointless.. Yet the EP30 is more reasonablly priced, but I guess you are more likely to find a limitation in the future.. But will either player be a long term solution, HD-DVD may have finished specs, but experience tells me in 12 months there will be standard features I haven't even considered yet, and these may not be avaliable in the 3rd gen players.. so maybe a cheaper player now makes more sense.. :rolleyes: Argghh.. it's tricky! :D

Thanks for taking the time to write this, it's made for interesting reading :thumbsup:

I've rented two movies recently "Eragon" & "Night at the museum" on blu ray and they've both had DTS MA soundtrack on the disc. I agree with what you said until we start getting reports back that people in the states are able to output this DTS MA fully well frankly it's difficult to know what model to buy. I can understand the studios putting the DTS MA soundtracks on the disc even if currently nobody seems to be able to play them fully given they are backward compatible. Have to admit at the moment it's always a bit of a buzz when I see a disc has PCM 5.1 soundtrack on it, when I see DTS MA I think oh well

I was also reading in the amp/reciever forum that not only do the players have to be able to output bitstream HD audio, but the discs themselves have to be authoured to 'allow' this. The interactive features that required onboard decoding in the player, has resulted in most discs not allowing this..

I'll have to see how common DTS-MA is already.. and then of course consider how likely I am to notice the difference on my humble set-up :confused: I was reading .. :D again on the forum.. that there's little noticable difference between bitstream and LPCM going to the amp in terms of audiable difference, apart from at lower volumes where Bitstream performs better..

Deep Colour - It is as already stated an additional feature made possible with the HDMI 1.3a version. However you do need a compatable display, not sure if recievers with HDMI 1.3 just pass thru or not? Also though Deep colour is not part of the HDMI spec, so it is not required, just a possible addition to the discs if the studios wish... (And it has to be encoded on the disc, it isn't just a player process) so perhaps this will be a feature of the HD 'special addition, re-releases' a few years later.. ;) Perhaps it'll never really happen ???

Ahhhhh very well written. However you seemed to miss out another difference the EP35 seems to have a blue light up HD-DVD logo in the middle of the player. Thats got to be worth some of the extra £100 for the HD bling it gives you :D

Absolutely!! with the blue light on my PS3 I can get a matching pair. Strange ain't it Toshiba putting a blue light on their equipment unless they are trying to confuse joe public that because it has a blue light it play's blu ray :)

I'll be after the Ep35 myself

Think i will to, dunno whether to pre order with those av sales people as i can be think they may be thin on the ground. However will the 5/7 free hd dvd promo started then? Is it going to be alot cheeper than £350 at other places???

Dont know what to do. Bloody wish tosh would come out with some answers the have gone very quite recently. If your new line of players were coming out in the next week or 2 i think id be making alot more noise than this.

Either the work experiance kids are running the marketing or there is going to be a delay. Think i might put my money on the later.

Think i will to, dunno whether to pre order with those av sales people as i can be think they may be thin on the ground. However will the 5/7 free hd dvd promo started then? Is it going to be alot cheeper than £350 at other places???

Dont know what to do. Bloody wish tosh would come out with some answers the have gone very quite recently. If your new line of players were coming out in the next week or 2 i think id be making alot more noise than this.

Either the work experiance kids are running the marketing or there is going to be a delay. Think i might put my money on the later.

:devil: It's annoying isn't it! Should I shouldn't I ?? even though I know I should really do neither! :(

The Free discs is a real pull for me so close to Xmas, as I know I'll buy a few anyhow.. But as you say will we get these players in time?? I'd probably get a HD-E1 with a few free discs for Xmas if not..

I don't know if AV sales take the cash on order or prior to delivery, or if you could cancel if they cannot send but others have avaliable stock?? Might be best to ask them.. and then let us all know. :devil:

But here's some encouraging if totally unconfirmed news..

Here

More news for HD-DVD fans wanting to buy either the new Toshiba HD-EP30 or EP35, I've been in contact with AV Sales who in return have been off the phone with Toshiba this morning regarding information .......

Secondary they also told me each of the new models also come with 2 pack-in titles ala the US offer, the first title will be 300 and the second will either be Bourne Identity or Supremacy .......... .

they (AV Sales) have been told its either 3 or 5 free titles from a selection of 13...

Not 100% sure they are even selling the A35 equivalent yet over there in the States. I'm speculating but I wouldn't mind betting we may not see the EP35 this year, I think they will put all their efforts into recruiting the mainstream new HD DVD adopters with the EP30. Pretty sure I remember in taking ages before we see the XE-1 compared to the E1 release

:devil: It's annoying isn't it! Should I shouldn't I ?? even though I know I should really do neither! :(

Know the feeling, won't get much if anything for my 360 HD DVD add on (probably keep it and try it out with my PC) basically if I'm going to sell it I may as well get rid of it now before the free films offer hits. Won't get an awful lot for my panny S52 only had that a year. Trouble is I've been spoilt with the HD Audio coming out of the PS3 and tried to watch a HD DVD out of the 360 HD DVD add on the other night via optical and well the PS3 Blu Ray is different gravy.

Not 100% sure they are even selling the A35 equivalent yet over there in the States. I'm speculating but I wouldn't mind betting we may not see the EP35 this year, I think they will put all their efforts into recruiting the mainstream new HD DVD adopters with the EP30. Pretty sure I remember in taking ages before we see the XE-1 compared to the E1 release

I agree but it is pretty stupid for them to list both new modles and the xe1 on there website if its not going to come out for 4/6 months.

Hmmm starting to loose a bit of interest recently, all seemed as tho it would be going hd-dvd with paramount move. Was going to get a PS3 for films but swayed towards hd-dvd because of the move. Then was going to get an E1 but the film offer ran out. So decided to wait till the 3rd gen players, So still stuck with skyHD and no HD player. I have 400 quid i need to spend soonish on something otherwise the missus is going to earmark that money something mundane like a new dishwasher or something.

Why cant they just come out and say this player is out on this date with this many films free and this player is out on this date with this many films free. Make some god dam anouncement or something. Must be lots of people in my situation that are getting a bit fustrated with the lack of effort from tosh.

Rant over

I agree but it is pretty stupid for them to list both new modles and the xe1 on there website if its not going to come out for 4/6 months.

Hmmm starting to loose a bit of interest recently, all seemed as tho it would be going hd-dvd with paramount move. Was going to get a PS3 for films but swayed towards hd-dvd because of the move. Then was going to get an E1 but the film offer ran out. So decided to wait till the 3rd gen players, So still stuck with skyHD and no HD player. I have 400 quid i need to spend soonish on something otherwise the missus is going to earmark that money something mundane like a new dishwasher or something.

Why cant they just come out and say this player is out on this date with this many films free and this player is out on this date with this many films free. Make some god dam anouncement or something. Must be lots of people in my situation that are getting a bit fustrated with the lack of effort from tosh.

Rant over

Trouble is I think we are stuck with this dual format for a while yet. In your position I think the PS3 would make a nice dish washer :D

Sorry off thread but ever since they threw in the free games the old PS3 has looked a better proposition and it's not exactly short of exclusives of it's own.

Trouble is I think we are stuck with this dual format for a while yet. In your position I think the PS3 would make a nice dish washer :D

I agree, whilst unfortunately only able to watch HD-DVD at the mo, I'd like to get a BR player ASAP.. however avoiding going too far OT ;)
Non of the current BR players offer what I want, and certainly not for what I'd like to pay. The PS3 being the only one I'd consider..

But then I considered, what would I rather have.. a great HD-DVD player and 20+ extra films to play on it (promotion + price difference) or a BR player with a couple of films...

I decided I was more interested in the films than making the point of being dual format. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom