Toshiba EP-30 picture but no sound !!

Chirs1211

Novice Member
Hi all, I'm having an issue with my EP-30, worked fine on my old Sharp TV but since buying a new Toshiba TV I now have no sound. TV is a 55UL2063DB, I've tried changing settings on both the TV and DVD player but to no avail :(
Quite surprised given they're the same brand, albeit a decade or two apart :)
Any help will be gratefully received

Thanks
Chris

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Set the player to output PCM.
Unplug both the player and the TV at the power socket, wait a couple of mins then power on again.
If still no sound try a different HDMI cable.

Chirs1211

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for the reply, the output was always set to PCM but I've double checked it just in case I hadn't put it back after fiddling with the settings, unplugged waited 5 mins and powered up, but still no sound. Also swapped the cable with the one on my Xbox which I know is 100% working but still no sound. It is truly baffling me :(
Swapped the inputs around on the TV too, unlikely it was that as I have picture and sound through the Xbox on that socket and a Firestick in the 3rd HDMI which also works fine, but I just wanted to rule out everything.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:

mjbtin

Try turning deep colour off on the tv hdmi if you can.
Had the same problem with a marantz br player and an LG Oled.
Never found out why a video setting would disable audio.

Martin

Chirs1211

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for the reply, there is no setting for 'deep colour' on mine but lots of settings in the picture menu, I've pretty much tried every combination of setting, currently everything is 'Off' makes little difference to the picture tbh but sadly makes no difference to my lack of sound either :(
I'm at a complete loss.

Chris

Fred Smith

Hi, thanks for the reply, there is no setting for 'deep colour' on mine but lots of settings in the picture menu, I've pretty much tried every combination of setting, currently everything is 'Off' makes little difference to the picture tbh but sadly makes no difference to my lack of sound either :(
I'm at a complete loss.

Chris

Fred Smith

Try turning HDMI Full Range off, that appears to be what Toshiba / Vestel use instead of LG's wording of HDMI deep colour.

Chirs1211

Novice Member
When I came across that setting I thought 'Yes this'll do it' but no :( still no sound, not even a hiss :(
Completely baffling, to me anyway.

Thanks

Chris

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I know you said the player worked on your old TV but try it again (if you still have it) or another TV.

Chirs1211

Novice Member
Sadly I don't, reason for the new tv was the old one had a fault and no longer powers up.
It would be a massive coincidence if it developed a fault at the exact moment I swapped TVs, but that's always a possibility I suppose, and only with the sound esp as I've noticed some others have had similar issues with other brands of TV, it's an odd one no doubt.
My next move will be to cart it up a relatives and try it on their TV, just to rule out a fault, though they have a slightly newer version of my old Sharp so if it does work ok it won't help much with diagnosing this issue. Baffles the hell out of me.

Many thanks

Chris

Chirs1211

Novice Member
Screenshot_2021-10-20-10-25-56-55_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b.jpg
Screenshot_2021-10-20-10-26-03-61_45e686c594768066ad9911d54d96f72b.jpg

Just had this reply from Toshiba, anyone think this would actually work, or is it just a standard reply?

Thanks
Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom