Toshiba E1 HD DVD picture via Lumagen HDP

Cocksure

Hi, I got into the HD side of things about 6 months back now with the Toshiba E1 when i upgraded my projector to the HD73 and got Gordon to come in and calibrate it all for me with the Lumagen HDP etc.

This did improve the picture for me, but i cant say i was ever overly struck by the HD picture produced, but i just put it down to the format being over hyped. However I recently got myself a US PS3 for blu-ray play back, and instantly i understood what all the hype was about.

Now at first i just thought blu-ray gives a better picture than HD DVD, but to many people have told me the quality is the same. So my question is :lease:, why am i getting a vastly (i feel) better picture via the blu-ray than the E1, when the E1 has be correctly calibrated and the PS3 not?

I have read somewhere that the E1 does not ineract with the Lumagen as it should due to chroma errors, but as this fault with the player has now ment to be fixed i'm at a loss for cause of the inferior picture quality.

Cocksure

BD disc are now great. BD and HD DVD should both be good.

Gordon
So for me then, it is just simply a case of i prefer the blu-ray picture to that of HD DVD, thank god, I thought i was going mad!

Does anyone know though if the Toshiba XE1 gives a better picture quality than the E1 for HD play back, or is it just the same?

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
The E1 and XE1 will give you the same image with your Lumagen. The XE1 will give you audio advantages (5.1 analogue for HD audio).

On my system at home I generally prefer HD-DVDs on my E1+HDQ than I do with my PS3! I think it's really the limited number of BDs I've got vs a bigger collection of HD-DVDs (so more likely to find a higher quality HDDVD disc). But something sounds a bit funny if you are preferring BD. What exactly is it you are preferring?

Cocksure

The E1 and XE1 will give you the same image with your Lumagen. The XE1 will give you audio advantages (5.1 analogue for HD audio).
Thanks for the info, that saves me a few quid :thumbsup:

On my system at home I generally prefer HD-DVDs on my E1+HDQ than I do with my PS3! I think it's really the limited number of BDs I've got vs a bigger collection of HD-DVDs (so more likely to find a higher quality HDDVD disc). But something sounds a bit funny if you are preferring BD. What exactly is it you are preferring?
Its hard to say really, with HD DVD its like i'm watching the image through a piece of glass, you can tell that the detail and image quality is their but it is as though the sheet of glass is blurrying and obstructing the image. With blu-ray its as though you remove the sheet of glass and the detail and image quality snaps into focus.

AV Junky

Sounds like Gordon is the best person to advise here, as he did your calibration and the HD-DVD was connected at the time. Have you changed any settings or connections/cable routing since Gordon's visit?

Cocksure

Sounds like Gordon is the best person to advise here, as he did your calibration and the HD-DVD was connected at the time. Have you changed any settings or connections/cable routing since Gordon's visit?
No, and to be fair to gordon i pointed out at the time that the PQ for HD was not what i expected.
I think its more than likely that the player is just not up to scratch for me (been spolit too much by my arcam & lumagen combo) and that my best bet is to wait for a high end HD DVD player to come out (like the one from ONKYO maybe).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom