Toshiba DVR20KB DVD Recorder does not find DVB channels

cofritz

Standard Member
Reaction score
My new Toshiba DVR20KB Freeview DVD/Video cassette recorder does not find DVB channels. We have checked that it is wired in correctly (coaxial cable goes from aerial to Toshiba, Toshiba to TV; scart cable from Toshiba to TV). We also checked the aerial cable by attaching it to a digital TV and it seems fine. But each time we run channel tuning it quickly runs through UHF channels and then reports finished, having found none. Otherwise the unit seems to work fine. Is it a dud to be replaced or is there something we're missing?

My new Toshiba DVR20KB Freeview DVD/Video cassette recorder does not find DVB channels. We have checked that it is wired in correctly (coaxial cable goes from aerial to Toshiba, Toshiba to TV; scart cable from Toshiba to TV). We also checked the aerial cable by attaching it to a digital TV and it seems fine. But each time we run channel tuning it quickly runs through UHF channels and then reports finished, having found none. Otherwise the unit seems to work fine. Is it a dud to be replaced or is there something we're missing?

Welcome to the forum.

I'm rushing off at the moment so do not have time to check the manual... but check to see that firstly - this unit can receive DVB channels [ DVB should be on the frontispiece of the manual if so] .. Secondly - it is sometimes necessary to switch to DVB to scan for digital channelss.

I will check up more fully later.

See page 20 of the manual - Column B, under the heading 'Channel Setting'.

Invoke the tuning again ensuring that you have chosen one of the options that includes DVB tuning.

[ You have not mentioned using an HDMI connection so I presume you do not have one... but if you do - remove it for this operation as HDMI leads can sometimes interfere with Freeview reception. ]

Thanks for checking. I had carefully followed the instructions, though. I tried it twice with "DVB & Analog" and twice with "DVB" alone. (We no longer have analog channels.

And I have not set up an HDMI connection.

More suggestions?

I have posted a request to Toshiba as well.

When you have the connections as you described them in post number 1, can you receive digital channels on the TV [ I'm guessing this TV may not be a DVB TV because your post seemed to imply you may be connecting a different television to test for the presence of digital channels? ]

The point I am trying to establish is that any flyleads you are using are not causing problems.
If channels get through to the TV under these circumstances it exonerates the cabling and firmly points to the DVDR unit as being the problem.

Unless there is some peculiarity of the flyleads you happen to be using .. and that incoming aerial is definitely into the aerial IN socket and not the out socket... I would say it is likely the unit has a problem and should be replaced.

The only alternative that may account for it is if your signal strength is low and the tuner on this unit has low sensitivity, but it would be unusual to receive absolutely no channels.

Checking the signal strength on your TV's tuner might provide some guidance as to how near the reception threshold, or otherwise, your signal strength is.

You are correct - the TV I'm connected to is not digital. It can only receive what the DVD recorder is set up to receive (as I understand it), because it just picks up the DVD's outgoing signal. I tune the TV to AV to pick up the DVD recorder. In the past I tuned it to AV to pick up the freeview box we had. Is there another approach to viewing digital channels on the analog TV?

We've rechecked the cabling, and the aerial is going to the aerial in socket.

The aerial in this room comes from an "antiference power supply" which has mains power, the external aerial input to it, and the aerial cable from it to the DVD recorder. So it should not be a weak signal. The little digital TV seems sensitive to weak signals (it pixellates and pauses when the signal is poor), and it was working without any pixellating or pauses when I tested the aerial with it.

Thanks very much for your help. Even if we get nowhere, I'll have more confidence dealing with Toshiba.

After I re-read your message, I think I see what you were suggesting. I connected the little digital TV to the aerial cable coming from the DVD recorder (the cable that goes to the TV) and the little TV still picks up the digital channels just fine.

So that means that the signal is there and it is making it into the DVD recorder and back out again --
So the failure to pick up the channels must the an internal problem in the DVD recorder . . .

Right?

You are correct - the TV I'm connected to is not digital. It can only receive what the DVD recorder is set up to receive (as I understand it), because it just picks up the DVD's outgoing signal. I tune the TV to AV to pick up the DVD recorder. In the past I tuned it to AV to pick up the freeview box we had. Is there another approach to viewing digital channels on the analog TV?

We've rechecked the cabling, and the aerial is going to the aerial in socket.

The aerial in this room comes from an "antiference power supply" which has mains power, the external aerial input to it, and the aerial cable from it to the DVD recorder. So it should not be a weak signal. The little digital TV seems sensitive to weak signals (it pixellates and pauses when the signal is poor), and it was working without any pixellating or pauses when I tested the aerial with it.

Thanks very much for your help. Even if we get nowhere, I'll have more confidence dealing with Toshiba.

this implies you are trying to tune in the analogue tv on the incoming aerial flylead and expecting a tv channel signal from the recorder ( known as a modulated rf channel ) , this used to be say ch36 on a vcr

modern dvd recorders dont have that facility , so you must connect from the recorder to the tv using scart or hdmi ( or yellow/red/white composite ) as appropriate and select rhe correct av channel on the tv in order to "see" what is coming from the recorder

note:- you do not "tune" the signals from scart or hdmi , you just select that input

After I re-read your message, I think I see what you were suggesting. I connected the little digital TV to the aerial cable coming from the DVD recorder (the cable that goes to the TV) and the little TV still picks up the digital channels just fine.

So that means that the signal is there and it is making it into the DVD recorder and back out again --
So the failure to pick up the channels must the an internal problem in the DVD recorder . . .

Right?

yes , that seems correct , if you are trying to tune it correctly and have picked the correct country etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom