1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba dvd recorder RD-XS 30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alamo, Jun 16, 2003.

1. alamo

alamo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought this new model yet ? What's your opinion of it compared to the Panny HDD model ?What does the "satellite monitor " control do ?
    Would it be better to wait until September when the new 80gb Panny comes out ?
    So many questions....but I want to make sure this is the model for me before splashing out on it.

Thanks in advance...

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hasn't component video outputs or DV input but looks interesting if these not needed.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Read this thread Alamo

Apparently it doesn't accept RGB input though it can output RGB. So no RGB loop through or RGB recording from most STB's. ie It can only record a composite or S-Video signal. I'll be waiting for the new Panny which fingers crossed will also do Pal Progressive.

4. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi alamo
    Regards waiting for the new Panny. My thoughts are at the mo the HS2 is about a £100 more than the Tosh so how much is the difference going to be in 4 months or so when the the 80gb version appears , a lot more me thinks.
    For the price difference the Tosh seems more appealing to me just now as RGB looping isn't a benefit i would use.
    Regards the techy questions , if you follow the link Calibos give , somewhere in that thread a kind hearted soul put another link to Toshiba's tech site where you can download the whole 160+ pages of the manuel. :)
    Let us know what you decide as i'm torn between the HS2 and the Tosh as well.

Cheers

5. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Well, after waiting for this machine for seemingly ages I've finally bit the bullet and have ordered the RD-XS30! :D It should arrive on Saturday so all being well I'll be able to report back here on my findings. The lack of rgb input didn't put me off too much as I haven't got $ky (and have no plans to) and my freeview box gives good results (for me) from its composite scart output. For £525 I think it should prove to be a very useful machine for timeshifting and watching programs when I want to rather than when the schedulers want me to!

Lee

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Way to go leeb :) :)
    Be sure to get us updated on your thoughts when the machine arrives.
    If i might ask , where did you order it from? Was it Multizonedvd?
    I'm very keen on getting one as well and finding somewhere with stock's been a real challenge.
    All the best.

7. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yes, I ordered it from Multizonedvd. As well as proudly displaying they had stock they also did a Saturday delivery which is crucial for me. It's only region 2 but as I already have a multiregion player that didn't bother me.

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers leeb
    That's the very place i will be ordering one from as well. The helpful staff member said the player is only region 2 but if a region hack was discovered or a download patch they would give that free of charge. If a mod was required if i pay return carriage they would mod for free!. A win win situation as long as you can do without multi-region to start with.
    I'll maybe hang fire till next week until i hear your words of wisdom regarding the machine though.

Cheers

9. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it definitely correct that there's no RGB input? If so, I find that a bizarre decision.