1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba DVD -no audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ivor_Monkey, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit stuck here. My daughter has a cheap DVD Toshiba SD 240E, which after one month seems to have decided not to output any audio via scart or phono plugs on a variety of systems. I hvae tried switching cables, TV, cd,dvds etc. Still no audio. The picture is fine.

If this is a hardware problem, then it would make it the second faulty Tosh player we've had in about 4 months. Anyone come across this before? I guess it is possible for a DVD player to be faulty only on the sound.

If it isn't a hardware problem, then I wonder if there is some hidden setting preventing audio output. As I say it used to work. I note that the online manual says that if DTS is chosen, then there will be no analogue sound. I haven't managed to find any option for changing DTS, so do not know how to find this. On the menu setting it offers only pcm or RAW.

Any suggestions mightily appreciated?

2. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, no one here knows.

I have found the following possible explanation on the internet. Particular capacitators (or their soldering) may be causing the problem -makes sense, especially the intermitten nature of the problem. Replacing these and resoldering would be the way to go if the machine is out of warranty, but in my case, it is only a few months old and is going back. .

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/1388.html

I hope it helps somebody.

3. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had exactly the same problem on my 8 month old SD340. Suddenly stopped outputting any sound. I sent it back for a full refund.

4. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Parklife
    The supplier has agreed to fully refund.

Incidentally, did you find a good replacement?

5. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As it was still within a year I called Toshiba. They would have replaced it but did not have any in stock so they said to call the supplier. The supplier (Play) sent a courier to collect and gave a full refund. No hassles at all.

As it was only used in the bedroom I have not got round to replacing it. Maybe the quality of the toshibas has dropped. I have another Toshiba which is 5 years old and is still as good as new!