Toshiba DR1 "disc playback unauthorized"

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jake52, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jake52

jake52
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba DR1 DVD recorder that has unfortunately just ran out of warranty. I purchased it from Richersounds as a multiregion player but for some reason it has suddenly locked itself to Region1. With any other region disc it just displays the message "disc playback unauthorized".
    Does anyone know how to change it back to multiregion, or at least Region2? Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks

2. waratahbay

waratahbay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem occur after I played a DVD+R DL disk. I, too, would like to know how to reset the machine. Thanks in advance.

3. waratahbay

waratahbay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, jake52, for your suggestion offline of trying the "extras" DVD in the Indiana Jones DVD pack. It worked for me, too - bringing back full multi-zone. Who the hell knows why - perhaps it's a genuine multi-zone disk even though badged with local zone of the companion disks. Thanks heaps.

4. jenkiga

jenkiga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found another "extras" disc from a workout DVD set (not mine). The pack was marked region 2 but this disc seems to be genuine multi region as Waratahbay said. I tried Region 0 and Region 1 discs and these did not solve the problem.

I found the trick was to leave the multi-region disc in the machine and boot the machine off and on. I then inserted region 2 disc and all works again.

I think my problem started as well from playing a DVD-R which I had recorded onto using this machine. These discs have never caused any problem in the past though.

Bizarre.