1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba DR-1 - Views anyone?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cales, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Cales

Cales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm looking into purchasing a DVD recorder to go with Sky+ and new Hitachi 42 PD3000 Plasma screen.
    I have my eye on the new Toshiba but I am having real trouble finding any reviews or recommendations. I was hoping someone on the forum would spare some time to help me with some information if possible.

has anyone bought this model? can anyone provide any details on its performance, especially playback quality via component output and progressive scan.

I'm in the Uk and its supplied region 2 only, I could really do with a multi-region player, but haven't been able to find a service available for this model, anyone any ideas?

If, as I said its only region 2, why would it have progressive scan on NTSC as well as PAL?

If anyone has any links to reviews or other threads on this or other forums I'd be grateful.

Thanks
    Cales

2. rudelad

rudelad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a DR-1 and used it for about a week before it developed a fault where it would not write to any RAM or -R media. I also found some VCDs that play on my cheapy UMAX would not play on the DR-1. Don't get me wrong I probably was just unlucky with it going wrong so early. The machine itself looked good and had some great features. I've now paid the extra and gone for the Panansonic E60. It is to be delivered on Tuesday 16th Decemeber I will let you know on how the two compare.

3. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cales

Check here Tosh Tech Site access the customer bit and search the lists for the DR1. You'll find the manuals here and the disappointing fact that there's no RGB in.

What were they thinking? :confused:

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Oops posted it twice:p

5. Cales

Cales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info guys.

it would seem the Tosh has no RGB input to record off Sky, but, as it does have S-video input and the Sky+ has S-video out, am i missing something thinking i can just record S-video for higher quality recording?

i'm really interested in the progressive scan features of the playback via component, but haven't really seen any objective views on this, however i do believe Toshiba make very good standalone DVD players and I'm kinda hoping the playback quality on the Dr-1 will be good with pre-recorded stuff.

On paper it looks a really good piece of kit, but a bit new for many peoples views and experiences methinks!

Cales

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB is slightly better than s-video,but if the recorder offers other features that you want,then s-video is more than acceptable.

7. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cales,

The reason I fancied the Tosh DR1 is quality PAL Prog Scan player for not much more than £310. The recorder part was a bonus albeit RGB would have been very nice.

I don't have Sky+ so I don't have Sky Digital with S-Video out so my next move maybe to buy a Grundig 3000 Digibox on e-bay. Certain Grundig boxes have s-video as well as 2 scarts.

I currently use a Tosh SD230E connected to my TV using component connections and the picture is very good. This DVD player can be found for £70 which I think is a bargain.

Still might go for the DR1 depending on reviews of playback performance.;)

8. Cales

Cales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigRD

Thanks for the reply,

a bit like yourself, I'm after a decent player first, the recorder being a bonus. As i see things at the mo, the hard drive ability of the Sky+ can take care of the general recording and time slip, and the DVD recorder can be used to archive anything worth keeping. I'm thinking that s-video recording will be better than the regular composite, but not as good as RGB. I also like the fact that i can connect the camcorder to it and burn DVD's as well.

Most of the opinion against this and several other models has been the lack of an RGB input, which i wholeheartedly agree is very shortsighted of manufacturers, but my main gripe against this machine was its lack of multi-region playback, however I have found it today as a region free machine, and am very tempted. i only wish i could've seen a review of its playback first to really make my mind up. many of the panny models are tried and tested, and recommended, and the JVC DR-M1 is a contender as well, too much choice!!

I'm certainly grateful for the opinions of yourself and others today, and probably bite the bullet soon anyway!

regards
    Cales

9. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've put a little bit more thought into buying a quality, branded, PAL prog scan dvd player and feel that internet prices of ~£310 is pretty good for the DR1 especially with Toshs reputation for picture quality. Although I'd really like to read a review or hear from someone who has experienced it in Prog Scan mode.

I then thought some more (head's hurting now:D ) about what material I'd record and the importance of the signal quality. Composite is out as I'd be as well sticking with my Pany VCR. RGB would be really nice but S-Video would suffice for recording from programmes like documentaries, Simpson, Friends, Most Haunted on Living TV (for the mrs...honest) all on Sky Digital and possibly the odd kids film for the ehh ehh kids.

The other DVD recorder use would be for camcorder and I'd use fire wire for that so there's no quality issue there and any editing I wanted to do can be done on my PC which also has fire wire and DVD writer.

IMHO todays DVD recorders will be out of date in 3 years with the introduction of affordable Blu-Ray or dual layered recorders so enjoy todays players while you can. You can't keep on waiting 6 months so see what's coming next or you'll never buy anything.

So to sum up: and depending on any reviews and picture quality with the DR1 it's looking like a good buy to me.:smashin: