1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba dlp

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by welsh113, Nov 15, 2004.

1. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just recieved the new toshiba dlp rear projector and after only having it for one day and being able to directly compare it with the thomson dlp i had for 6 weeks i can say a few things them 1.picture: is comparable but toshiba comes out on top but not by much!! 2.noise:tosiba is much quiter then the thomson and i mean much quiter really have to try to hear it where as you had to try to not hear it on the thomson (on mute and quite parts ). 3 cosmetics there is no comparison it goes to the toshiba!!!!! and it comes with a free stand!!!! 4.remotes this one goes to the thomson as the toshiba remote is nothing special and the thomson one is alot nicer to look at is programable to a degree and lights up........5.stands: toshiba again it comes with the telly and looks great!!! 6.on screen menus and configuration: both do the job but the thomson gave you more control of the picture and more user friendly........
    the toshiba cost £1586 at costco and that includes all vat the stand and a THREE year warranty!!!!!!!!! hope this helps someone will post a proper review after a month or so of use :smoke:

2. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What model????

Thanks

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It's the 46WM48P.

Steve

4. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It is interesting that , when you put this model number into Google ,the sites identified are all French.Where are Costco getting stock from?

5. Motobug

Motobug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, do you need to visit Costco to order or will they take an order over the phone?

Thanks

Moto

6. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    you need to visit the store but if you phone them they will give you stock levels i know there is one left at leeds if this helps..............this is an amazing deal in my eyes costco have a very very good return policy they just give you a new one if it is faulty truly second to none and a 3 year warranty to boot!!!!!

7. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

welsh113, could you let us know the model of the Thomson DLP you are comparing the Toshiba to?

8. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i am comparing it to the 50dly645 model which by the way do not go near!!!!!as it has a fault that i had a nightmare trying to return the fault is a fault that efects all thomson 50dly645!!!!!
    hope this helps

9. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the info. ;)

10. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I thought you was getting the optoma RD 50 did you change your mind because of the price
    Big Ric

11. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the single most important thing that changed my mind was..................my wife looked at it and just said O its ugly i like the one at costco!!!!!! so then i became paranoid about how the optoma looks and wanted a telly that would look good in the room also!!!!! plus i needed a telly as of the 15th and it was available right away were as i would have had to go without a telly for a few days................anyways one good thing about costco's too is you just return it for a refund if you are not completly happy with it :thumbsup:

12. Alain75

Alain75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thanks for the review, I'm in France and apparently this new Toshiba although listed on some sites is not available anywhere yet.

Did you test the HDMI input from a PC ? As for the US version (discussed on AVSforums), it appears that it cannot be used using a DVI/HDMI cable with a direct 1:1 pixel mapping on a PC, this would be a definitive drawback for me, but perhaps the european version is different ....

13. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Whats the dimensions and if you've still got the box, the siz of that too.

Thanks

John

14. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Saw This in Comet Ashton U Lyne Mcr today for £1999.99 - very nice looking tv.

Maybe my next buy...............

What are your thoughts on the set?

Dave, Oldham.

15. mfairclough

mfairclough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Optoma RD50 on order but am having second thoughts (it's not the prettiest TV in the world and may be a little too big for my room). I'm consider cancelling my order so that I could get this Toshiba as it looks much nicer, comes with a nice stand and uses the same DLP technology. However, I'd like to know the answers to the following first :

1. Anyone know how the picture compares to that of the sagem Axium?
    2. How wide is the horizontal viewing angle (the Sagem/Optomas is very
    wide)
    3. Can you connect a PC via a VGA connector. Does this TV have DVI with
    HDCP and how many RGB scarts does it have.
    4. Does this TV have the equivilent of the Faroudja DCDi
    5. Is it HD2 or HD2+
    6. Has anyone seen HD content played on this TV, if so what did you think
    (any compariosons to the Sagem would be welcome).
    7. Pricerunner states Brightness 600 cd/m2 & Contrast ration 2000:1. Is this
    correct?
    8. Does it have an anti glare screen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Individuals can join, both myself and the mrs qualify.The website no longer lists individual qualification requirements however if you visit your local store there will be a large board displaying the criteria.Off the top of my head,any professional (doctor, lawyer, chartered accountant-architect-engineer etc etc) NHS, local govt employee.The list is quite wide, hth's.

17. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the dimensions are W x H x D (in inches) 53 1/8 x 31 13/16 x 15 1/4, and i can not remember for the box i can only say that the height was 40inch as i had to turn it on its side and slide it in the car so thats all i can remember..............sorry

18. smashymike

smashymike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do Costco take visa cards??

19. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No.
    Cash, cheque or switch

20. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Found the Tosh manual, no PIP !!! ?????

John

21. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    WELL

I could not resist and went to Costco at Haydock and bought one this morning - they have 2 left.

£1580.00 with a 3 year warranty - they told me they do not repair these if they go faulty - they just collect and refund.

Gonna set it up now.....................

Dave (Sick of building cabinets), Oldham.

22. webbp

webbp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am very tempted by this TV.
    However I have a question that I need answering and does affect the price over time.
    How long does the lamp last & what is the replacement cost?

My question is necessary as Iwill need to convince the better half.
    A comparitive Plasma screen (ie size & resolution) would cost in the region of 3500 to 4500 quid. However, its a one off cost and should last the next 10 years (if I dont get tempted by a 1080p lcd in 5 or 6 years time ;) ).

If lamplife on these is similar to projectors, then we can expect to buy a new lamp at approx 300quid every 3000 hours.

I think that with 2 kids of 3 & 6 this will equate to a new lamp at least once a year. 10 years of that will equate to another 3grand on top of the 1500 already laid out in day one.
    So the relative cost is similar to the plasma cost (although granted, spread over 10 years).

As the missus likes the plasma more for the ability to hang on the wall, therefore giving her more living space, what ammunition can I use to convince her that dlp is the way to go?

23. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    webbp

afaik, hd2+ based sets are rated between 8K - 10K lamplife
    hth

edit: 8K - 10K hours :)

24. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IF you really believe a plasma will last ten years you are kidding yourself i even have one in my back room but still it is well documented that they lose 10-15 percent of there brightness a year and if they go they go!!!!!! a risk i took but only as i got promoted and bought dlp as main telly and plasma in smaller backroom for kids ect and xbox!!!!!! I am not expecting it to last nearly as long as the dlp (replace a bulb and new telly) and with my plasma i am expecting to see a big degrade over the next few years 20-30 percent loss in brightness in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Although I cant hang my Tosh on the wall - it is a lot slimmer than the 36" crt it replaced.

It pushes up right back to the wall..............

Dave, Oldham.

26. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    :hiya:
    Does anybody know where there are any reviews on this dlp, can anybody who has just picked up there new toy post any some pics

Front, back, side, connections etc :smashin:

27. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And, since DLP is a mirror and light technology, once the bulb is replaced, the DLP should perform as well as it did when it was brand new.

Plasma, by contrast, uses a small electric pulse for each pixel to excite the rare natural gases argon, neon, and xenon (a k a "phosphors") to produce the color information and light. As electrons excite the phosphors, oxygen atoms dissipate. These rare gases actually have a life and fade over time. Manufacturers of plasma have estimated the life of these phosphors to be about 60,000 hours. The life of the plasma display itself is usually determined by half-life of the phosphors. So at 30,000 hours the phosphors will be at their half-life, and the viewer will be seeing an image that has half the brightness capability that it did when originally purchased. This should be a good point at which to consider its life over. The gases in plasma TVs cannot be replaced. There is no phenomenon of "pumping" new gases into a plasma display

28. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Plasma phosphours degrade with an almost logarithmic decay pattern. Current plasmas (Panasonic 7 series, current Pioneer, new NECs) all now boast 60,000 hours to half life (half brightness). [which in itself would require 27 years and 4 months of running 6hrs each and every day to reach] However the difference between say 40,000 hrs and 50,000 hrs is not so big compared to the difference from 50,000 to 60,000. A rough estimate is that the picture will begin to appear duller around 50,000 hours (depending on usage, settings etc) but then get increasingly worse to about 100,000 hrs+ when the phosphours are all but burned out. Of course there is nothing you can do once you reach this point but phosphor decay or DLP chip lifetime etc will not dictate how long your display lasts. I once saw a 2ng gen Pioneer 502MXE that had esaily run 30,000 hours as a public display panel. The phosphours were still fine, producing an image little darker than a brand new one. But screenburn and electrical faults had affected the picture badly hence requiring replacement.

However CRT TVs are no better in terms of phosphor life, and you may find things like power supply failures and dry joints etc will kick in before your phosphor runs out!!!

Comparing RPTV to plasma for total cost of ownership. The RPTV will need a new bulb about every 6000-7000 hrs to keep it at optimum brightness, costing approx £400 per bulb. In an equivalent 50,000 hours of plasma ownership and getting away with replacing your RPTV bulb every 7000 hrs you would incur £2800 of bulb replacements. Even if bulbs were £300 it's still £2100. Add this to the £2k for the telly and you've spent the same as a 50" plasma... The difference is the plasma looks cool hanging on the wall (but I would still be going for the RPTV) and you've spread your cost out.