1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba Dilema

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kings, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Kings

Kings
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Great Forum, had a great time reading, {TBH got more confused with all the different opinions} :eek: .

I am about to update my old Toshiba TV of 12 years old and the old set has done me proud. In recognition of it's fine service I am going to update to another Toshiba but this time widescreen.

I am certain I want a 36inch and that I am not going plasma/LCD or projection.

My confusion is that should I go for the 36ZP48 or the 36ZP38.
    Both seem very similar and not being a super tech I am not aware of differences.

Any input, suggestions or guidence would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Kings

:clap: :clap: :clap:

2. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My advice would be to forget about big widescreen Toshiba tvs. Everyone of them has a dirty faint line running vertically down the screen. Don't ask me why its there cause i would very much like to know.

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The 36ZP48 is just a natural progression from the ZP38.. its pretty much the same set, but some of the little problems have been ironed out.. and the Active Vision software is different, whether this better, I don't know, and neither do the engineers at Toshiba..

Speaking to an engineer at Toshiba, their are different batches of tubes used throughout the ZP38 lifetime, and yes, some have had problems with purity etc..

As for silly comments like
    I'd also forget the all loewe widescreens as well, they all have terrible geometry issues... :)

5. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for 36" the only one i have heard good things about is the new Sony kv36HQ100. Its essentially the business. Lacks component inputs, progressive scan, but would give an awesome picture anyway. Only downside is cost, as you wont find the bulk discounts you do with toshiba. Worth the extra, going on the catalogue of nightmares that forumites seem to have had with Panasonic and Toshiba. Philips seem to be a good bet, but you have to go through about six of them before a good one arrives.

M advice is to stay at 32" and pick from a wider choice of sets, as a 36" can end up as an enormous costly white elephant.

6. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "As for silly comments like
    Quote:
    My advice would be to forget about big widescreen Toshiba tvs. Everyone of them has a dirty faint line running vertically down the screen. Don't ask me why its there cause i would very much like to know"

I have owned a CRT toshiba 36 inch tv and a 42 inch rear projection tv in the last 6 months and both have the aforementioned defect. In fact its not a defect as i received an email from toshiba stating that its is normal so please don't quote me as stating silly comments.

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I am sorry, but it IS a silly comment, you have owned all of 2 Toshiba TV's, and decided that ALL Toshiba TV's have a 'dirty' vertical band running down the centre...
    the 42wh36 you had is an RPTV and alledgedly, according to people on this very forum the vertical line is left over residue from tape used to hold the screens in place before manufacture.. and this does not affect all 42wh36's either.. I've personally seen 1 with the fault, and 3 without..
    As for the 36" CRT, this will have been something different, as this does not have an external lens/screen...

My brother has a 36ZP38 and a 36ZP18, neither have any vertical line in the centre, even when you use picture settings that would exxagerate it.
    Also my 51wh36 and my friends do not exhibit this. And looking in curry's I can't see any Toshiba widescreen TV's that have that fault.. (although there are plenty of dirty screen/purity/geometry issues :) )

I see that in another thread, you now have a loewe Mimo, and it has bad geometry issues, so I assume you'll be telling people to stay clear of Loewe since they all have terrible geometry?? of course not.. lets just keep things in perspective..

Some of us (me included) are damn fussy, and since I used to work for Toshiba as an engineer, I look at any display, CRT/RPTV/PLASMA/LCD and just seem to see all the flaws of the technologies straight away, it has taken me a while to accept the things, set them up, and just watch some films.. and after a short while, you seem to stop fixating on that purity problem that only occurs once in a blue moon.. and start enjoying the films..

8. Kings

Kings
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG

this is getting complicated...........

even more confused now, thanks for the input all of you

Kings :hiya:

9. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I agree, I had the same annoying line down the first Toshiba I bought but thankfully the replacement didn't have it.