1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba D-R2 resolution in VR mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stiles, Feb 3, 2005.

1. stiles

stiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Toshiba D-R2 and I noticed something strange. I heard about the half resolution drop at the 3h mark but what about this. The resolution doesn't seem to be the same when recording at 3.0 in vr mode and in video mode. At this setting the video mode is smoother and in the vr mode it's obvious the resolution is strange. There is a huge lego block effect around faces and other shapes. I can see vertical lines everywhere. 2.8 looks better than 3.0 in vr mode. Could the vr mode be using a special resolution when set to 3.0 ? Is there really a difference in encoding between vr mode and video mode?

Thanks for you help... :lease:

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Stiles,

As you saw on my XS32 post, the XS32 at least does appear to use a different resolution in the 3.0 to 3.8 range if DVD compatible is set to off (and so it can use additional resolutions only available to VR) or if it is set to on. Quite likely you are seeing something similar.

On the XS32, I just did a test; recording the same show at 3.0 with this "DVD compatible" on and off. They definately are different. With DVD mode off, the resolution is clearly higher - there is more detail, but also more "noise". With DVD compatible mode off (which is using half resolution), there is less detail, but less "noise" or "artifacts". Personally I liked the higher resolution "VR" one better, but it is a matter of taste. (I know the XS32 always uses VR when writing to HDD.. but only the "non-compatible mode" uses these additional VR only resolutions).

But I don't see the blocks and lines you describe, unless it is the "noise" which I was talking about... but what I see is quite minor.

I have verified that the recording with DVD compatible mode on at 3.0 is 352x576 resolution by making a DVD-R and checking it on my PC. For the non-compatible VR one I can't do this as I don't have a RAM PC drive.

Mark

3. stiles

stiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

I've done a few test today and you're right about the resolution, it does have a better look above 3.0 even if we can notice a little low resolution noise. Below 3.0 the colors looks faded compared to the original. By blocks and lines I was only refering to the effect low relosution can produce. They should talk about this in the manual. Maybe they do, I didn't read it all. That's goog to know, with DVD-RAM(vr) we can go down to 3.0 and with DVD-RW(video) not lower than 4.0.

Thanks

4. stiles

stiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does recording with 3.0 can be enhanced with record/playback DNR? Doesn't seem to make much difference or even makes matters worse from what I've seen.

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I couldn't find a D-R2 manual; I looked at the D-R3 and didn't see this explained.

In the XS32 manual they just give "hints" of this. They say that if DVD compatible mode is off, then when using rates between 3.0 and 3.8 picture quality is reduced. I think this translates into what we are seeing, that in writing VR in this way it uses a higher (and I assume non-standard for video mode) rate in this range.

Not sure what you mean by record/playback DNR? (Edit: Just checked the manual, now I see, Digital Noise Reduction.... no I haven't tried this).

Mark