Toshiba D-R1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redlester, Oct 6, 2004.

1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought a D-R1 and set it up last night. It will do me for a couple of years until (presumably) dual layer is available & affordable, then the D-R1 can migrate to the bedroom.

Absolutely delighted with it, only one complaint so far is that when recording to DVD-R/RW discs you have to manually specify the aspect ratio before recording. Easy to do, but a pain none the less - means checking beforehand whether a movie is going to be actually transmitted widescreen. Is this common to all DVD recorders, or just a quirk of the D-R1?

Related to this, if I record DVD's in 16:9 are they anamorphic? In other words will they play letterboxed on a 4:3 television, or will they look squashed up (as with VHS recordings).

One further question: The manual states that the front DV input will accept signal from camcorder only. I was planning to connect the DV output of my Canopus AVDC100 analogue/digital converter for the purposes of archiving VHS stuff - will it recognise the signal from the Canopus, or will I have to just connect via Scart?