Toshiba/Currys Extended Warranty Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by williamus, Jun 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I've always been pretty lucky with my kit and I've never bought extended warranties on the principle that they're where people like Currys make an awful lot of money on the back of a low risk.

I've got a Toshiba 40XF355DB and I've had no problems. (cost £900 in July 2008). It's just coming up to a year old and Currys have written offering another 4 years' warranty for £215. Normally I wouldn't think about it cos it'll have been replaced by then and it's residual value will probably be less than that. A quick search suggests it's pretty reliable.

Thing is, I've also got a Toshiba 19AV505DB in the kitchen which started turning itself on and off repeatedly. That went back to Toshiba via Currys under warranty and came back with a complete new set of innards & screen.

My gut feel is not to give Currys a lot of money for something that's unlikely to happen but the incident with the small telly has given me second thoughts.

Grateful for advice?

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    How long will you keep the big TV? You say it will have been replaced within 4 years - for what reason if it works fine?

I guess it depends whether you would be able to afford to replace the TV the day after the warranty expires, although there is the sales of goods rules which say a TV should last for a certain amount of time (and not just a year), can't remember the details.

3. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Vickster

It's an excellent TV and I'm very pleased with it. Just thought by the time it's 5 years old that probably the world will have moved on and there'll be some new technology (OLED?) to tempt us.

4. Nighty

Nighty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Extended warranties are just like insurance. If nothing goes wrong, it's dead money. If something does go wrong, it's a bargain.

I just had Currys replace my Sony KDF rear projection under their "whateverhappens" scheme (beyond economical repair). I've paid £4.79 a month for just under three years and I've just been given a brand new Toshiba 42AV635D LCD, effectively only cost me about £160!!

Also recently had a washing machine replaced after 4 years and 10 months (5 year extended guarantee) with a brand new model. So again, a new machine only cost about half the full price (ie. insurance cost against new machine cost).

The way I look at it is this, how much the cover costs compared to how much it would cost to replace. For example, my new set retails at £749. The warranty plan is £6.99 per month. I would have to own this set for 9 YEARS (without claiming) before I'm losing money.

5. gazzer_67

gazzer_67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Shop around if you realy want insurance - These TV's are changing so quickly you may want something else before the 4 years is up.

Richersounds only charge 10% for the extra 4 Years. Another £90 and you have got a spare 32" basic LG or samsung.

Bear in mind that this set is only valued at around £600 now.

Look around the net some companies offer better deals and allow you to specify several items under the deal.

6. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Gazzer and others

Thanks for the advice. A bit more digging on this board and others suggest that the XF and ZF do have a habit of developing problems, though Toshiba seem pretty good on the customer service front. On balance think I will take out the extra insurance but will shop around first, though Curry's & Toshiba sorted the little telly pretty quickly. Cheers