Toshiba CT-8533 remote won't page up or down

Riggers01

Novice Member
Hi and thanks for having me. Here's my problem. When using the program guide on my Toshiba smart tv I cannot page up or down using the remote hand set (CT-8533). If I use the 'page up / page down' button it changes the day forward or back. The only way is to scroll the guide channel by channel using the up / down arrows above and below the 'ok' key. It makes using the guide a really frustrating experience. Has anyone any idea if there's a setting I can change or do I just have to live with it? Many thanks in advance.

Riggers

mikej

I've never owned a TV where that kind of thing can be changed so I would guess you'll have to live with it, unfortunately.

It annoys me when manufacturers break with a tried-and-tested convention because they think they know better. In your case, it's obvious that the directional arrows around the OK key should allow you to move up and down individual channels within the EPG and the separate program up and down buttons should allow you to go up down the EPG a whole page at a time. Even Panasonic have messed with this on my latest OLED, requiring you to press and hold the programme up and down buttons down for a bit in order to do that. Very annoying.

I wonder if a Harmony remote would allow some button customisation ?

Riggers01

Novice Member
I've never owned a TV where that kind of thing can be changed so I would guess you'll have to live with it, unfortunately.

It annoys me when manufacturers break with a tried-and-tested convention because they think they know better. In your case, it's obvious that the directional arrows around the OK key should allow you to move up and down individual channels within the EPG and the separate program up and down buttons should allow you to go up down the EPG a whole page at a time. Even Panasonic have messed with this on my latest OLED, requiring you to press and hold the programme up and down buttons down for a bit in order to do that. Very annoying.

I wonder if a Harmony remote would allow some button customisation ?
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have just discovered from your comment about holding the key that if I hold down the up/down arrows around the 'OK' key the programme guide will continuously scroll which is at least a decent and usable second best.

I've spent hours on this and your chance remark has given me my TV life back! :)

Once again thanks

mikej

Great stuff. So do the program up and down buttons honestly take the EPG left and right to next or previous days ? That's poor UI design !

Riggers01

Novice Member
Great stuff. So do the program up and down buttons honestly take the EPG left and right to next or previous days ? That's poor UI design !
Yep that's just what they do - crazy design.

Just to follow on from my previous reply, I've been playing around a bit more. What I said about the EPG scrolling only works if I'm quick about it. I have to press 'Guide' and quickly follow with up or down arrow and it will happily scroll up and down for as long as I like. But if I take my time after pressing 'Guide' and leave it a second or two then press the up and down keys (around the OK key) the EPG only moves one line per press. Of course not a word of all this in the online user guide.

Who the hell designed this!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom