1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba Component Video Connections - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mrsingh, Aug 28, 2001.

1. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just bought a Toshiba 28Z07B widescreen television and Toshiba SD210E DVD player, I am trying to connect the two using the component video connections. However I am experiencing difficulties – I’m getting a picture but no sound. I’ve looked through the instruction manual of the TV and the DVD player a hundred times and can’t see what I’m doing wrong. I was hoping that somebody on this forum might be able to help me.

As per the DVD player instruction manual, I have connected a set of triple phono leads between the component video output connections on the DVD player and the component video input connections on the TV. I’m assuming that it doesn’t matter which colour phono lead goes in which socket as long as it is connected to the corresponding colour socket on the component video input connections on the TV. (AM I RIGHT IN ASSUMING THAT THE COMPONENT VIDEO CONNECTIONS ONLY CARRY A VIDEO SIGNAL BUT NOT AUDIO? THIS WOULD EXPLAIN WHY THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL ASKS ME TO DO WHAT IS DESCRIBED IN THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH.)

As per the DVD player instruction manual, I have also connected red and white phono leads between the audio output connections on the DVD player and the audio input connections on the TV.

Through the TV’s menus, I have changed the input signal for the AV3 channel to component video. Through the DVD player’s menus, I have changed the audio out selection to analog 2ch (I have tried the other options of bitstream and PCM as well, but they don’t work either).

The result of all this is that I’m getting a brilliant picture but no sound. Just to make sure that the DVD player wasn’t faulty, I connected it to the TV using a normal scart connection and everything was fine.

Am I missing something or is the equipment faulty? Any help would be much appreciated, especially from those who own Toshiba TVs and/or DVD players.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its quite simple, the component video cable carries the picture information only, you need a digital sound connection as well. On my toshiba tv it can be either coaxial or fiberoptic.<br />You may at a pinch get the sound in proplogic only via a scart cable if you can set up the tv to look at the component input instead of the RGB through the scart, but this seems to defeat the object as If you use the scart you might as well use the rgb in format.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Read your post a bit more thouroughly, again on my tv there is a menu to tell what the audio in source is for each input on the tv. IE on mine component is AV4 in and I would have to tell it whether to use the audio in sockets that you are using, or either of the digital in. You cannot get Dolby Digital through the phono sockets of your tv if it has a DD decoder built in, and must use a digital connector to enable the decoder.<br />When you switch between inputs with the tv remote it should indicate what the sound source selected is on the screen.

4. mrsingh

mrsingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken,

I'm trying to get normal stereo sound, not Dolby Digital. The Toshiba 28Z07B TV does not have a built in Dolby Digital decoder and I haven't connected the TV to any external audio equipment.

I will look at the TV menus again but I don't think it gives you a choice to select audio input.

5. rosskin

rosskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get the audio to work? I am about to buy the same set up and had wondered about this.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I had exactly the same problem that you have with exactly the same TV and DVD player. After weeks of trying out various different wiring set ups (external speakers, connecting set to hi-fi, using a scart lead etc) I finally solved the problem.
    The problem is the the component video leads only carry video, as you suspected, so you need separate audio leads. I figured this out quite quickly but then the problem was where to plug the leads into as the TV only seems to have 2 audio OUTPUT sockets at the rear. Well, actually the TV does have 2 audio inputs aswell. They're at the front of the tv behind the little drop down flap. Simply connect phono/audio leads from these sockets to the rear of your DVD player (and your componant leads as you already have) and Bob's your uncle. Hope this helps.

7. rosskin

rosskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba Technical Support suggested the following:-

1. I connect the DVD and TV using Scarts to AV 3 on the TV; 2. connect the component video outs from the DVD to the inputs at AV3 on the TV; 3. select component video input on the TV menu for AV3; 4. select component out on the DVD Menu.

They say that the TV will only look for component video at AV 3 but will still let the sound pass through.

Did you try this and does it work?

8. GaryA

GaryA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was having exactly the same problem. Great picture, no sound.

After reading the reply on this forum I have Component Video attached and scart in AV3. This works perfectly.

The manual says not to put scart and component in the same av3.

I checked with the Toshiba helpline and they said it was fine.

As for using the 2 phono inputs on the front of the set, I don't think my other half would be too impressed with cables drooping from the front of the TV.

9. rosskin

rosskin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GaryA. I have now confirmed my order for the new telly. I was a bit sceptical when I spoke to the Toshiba people.