Toshiba Blu-ray players coming...

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Here it is: Toshiba launching BD 18 Blu-ray player by year's end.

I wonder how it will compare....
I think Toshiba's entry into the market was always inevitable - certainly on the laptop side they will need to add BD drives if they are to retain their position as a leading producer. However I question the importance of it in the CE market. We now have home cinema brands such as Denon and Oppo offering players of suitable callibre for our uses, whilst the mass market is well catered for by the likes of Panasonic and Sony. Toshiba will doubtless enter in competition with them and I doubt we'll see a XE1 style player anytime soon.

EngadgetHD said:
We're anxious for a BD price war.
I don't understand the above comment? Do Engadget think Toshiba enter into a fierce price war with the likes of Panasonic and Sony? I think that is somewhat unlikely - they did so for HD DVD because they had the long term benefits of licence money to justify it. There is no such motivation for Blu-ray.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I don't understand the above comment? Do Engadget think Toshiba enter into a fierce price war with the likes of Panasonic and Sony? I think that is somewhat unlikely - they did so for HD DVD because they had the long term benefits of licence money to justify it. There is no such motivation for Blu-ray.

Agreed. :)
Look forward to Toshibas player though :smashin: might turn out a good one.

StardustOne

Yes and Toshiba should build one that looks like the HD-XE1, weights a lot and is made of metal, not plastic :).

Improvements maybe could be made on the remote and on the fan, but the looks of a possible BD-XE1 combined with the ingredients to enhance picture quality of the HD-XE1, that would really be cool :).

And please please please Toshiba, make it region free for DVD plus region free for Blu-ray :).

If it looks the same, it would be a perfect match for the HD-XE1, one for Blu-ray and one for HD-DVD. Hmm, I hope Toshiba makes a Combo-Player, too :).

Last edited:

Spudzz

UltimateAVmag.com News
Toshiba to Make Blu-ray Players
July 20, 2009 — According to a story today in Japan's Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper, Toshiba will enter the Blu-ray market with players that can read BDs and DVDs by the end of this year.

This marks a distinct change in attitude from a year and a half ago, when Toshiba conceded that it's high-def disc format, HD DVD, had lost the format war to Blu-ray. At that time, the company pledged to focus on DVD upconversion and other technologies, but with Blu-ray disc and player sales on the rise as reported by the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG), it could no longer stay away from this potentially lucrative market. In addition, avoiding Blu-ray could potentially hurt Toshiba's TV business, which makes the addition of BD players to its product lineup a no-brainer.

The news of Blu-ray's sales success is surprising in light of the weak economy. According to DEG's report, consumer spending on all packaged media was down 13.5 percent in the first half of 2009, but this was partially offset by the growth of Blu-ray software (up 91 percent to $407 million) and digital distribution, including digital cable and satellite as well as music downloads (up 21 percent to $968 million). Furthermore, rental spending was up 8.3 percent for the first half of 2009, boosted by a 62 percent increase in Blu-ray rental spending.

Blu-ray player sales were similarly rosy, with more than 2 million units sold in the first half of 2009, up almost 25 percent over the same period last year. This brings the total installed base of Blu-ray players in the US—including PS3s, dedicated players, and HTIBs, but not PC drives—to nearly 11 million units. No wonder Toshiba wants a piece of this expanding pie!

Mr_Orange

errmm, why have these threads been merged? Despite having similar titles, they don't relate to one another!

Spudzz

Just spotted this while article while surfing,and thought it might be of interest to you folk.
I did not spot the previous post before posting.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
This could be genuinely interesting, as they should be developing from an earlier starting point than most of the current 'new' others.

The dominance of Toshiba with DVD player like the SD900E and 9500 :smashin: could be relived ;)

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
I would have thought Toshiba will be behind it's main competitors as it won't have any Blu-ray intellectual capital. It may be able to make its own drives, however if it has to develop it's own BD chipset that will make any player expensive. I would have thought they will simply pick an existing base chipset solution and perhaps add to it.

What will be more interesting is if they bolt on their XDE upscaling technology for DVD, and extend it to HD picture processing.

Or. maybe they could licence some of Sony's cell based code for the PS3 BD player. That would make for a very fast standalone box. It would also make for one that could be a true network streamer as well.

It's about time we had a BD player that was fully DNLA/uPnP and possibly a MCE extender as well. If the player could access network storage for BD Live persistent storage that would be a big step up IMO.

IL Cattivo

This development must be a bitter pill for Toshiba to swallow... But a necessary one nonetheless!!

Pecker

Distinguished Member
This development must be a bitter pill for Toshiba to swallow... But a necessary one nonetheless!!

I've seen several comments like this - describing Toshiba's entry into the market as a 'climb down', and so on.

Why?

Ther decision to cancel HD DVD may have been a bitter pill to swallow at the time, but after that business is business, and I don't think anyone at Toshiba Towers will be committing Hark Kari because they've decided to sell a Blu-ray Disc player.

The BDAs initial idea was to keep player prices high and un-crackably region-locked (they were fed up with Toshiba SD DVD players turning up for £80 and region-free on day 1), and yet only 18 months after Toshiba's format's demise you can pick up a multi-region player from Aldi for £140. At the prices being charged for players now, the licensing fees paid on these players to the format's developers will be negligible.

A bitter pill? I bet they're laughing all the way to the bank as the BDA's entire strategy falls down around their ears, and they wait to enter the BD market with decent, cheap players. Oh, and what's the betting we'll hear Mr.Toshiba saying "What's that? You can crack our players easily to be region free? OOPS! How on earth did we accidentally let that happen?"

Steve W

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I've seen several comments like this - describing Toshiba's entry into the market as a 'climb down', and so on.

Why?

Ther decision to cancel HD DVD may have been a bitter pill to swallow at the time, but after that business is business, and I don't think anyone at Toshiba Towers will be committing Hark Kari because they've decided to sell a Blu-ray Disc player.

The BDAs initial idea was to keep player prices high and un-crackably region-locked (they were fed up with Toshiba SD DVD players turning up for £80 and region-free on day 1), and yet only 18 months after Toshiba's format’s demise you can pick up a multi-region player from Aldi for £140. At the prices being charged for players now, the licensing fees paid on these players to the format's developers will be negligible.

A bitter pill? I bet they're laughing all the way to the bank as the BDA's entire strategy falls down around their ears, and they wait to enter the BD market with decent, cheap players. Oh, and what's the betting we'll hear Mr.Toshiba saying "What's that? You can crack our players easily to be region free? OOPS! How on earth did we accidentally let that happen?"

Steve W

Couldn't agree more - delighted if this does actually happen. I've been very impressed by the ep35, in particular the firmware support so look forward to a bluray player of comparable quality from tosh.

Evil Engineer

Of course the big question is whether the first Tosh Blu-ray players will be any good?

Have the boys in the R&D labs spent the last six months cooking something up or will they go for a "quick win" with a 3rd party reference design shoved inside a Tosh case?

awink1

Distinguished Member
Of course the big question is whether the first Tosh Blu-ray players will be any good?

Have the boys in the R&D labs spent the last six months cooking something up or will they go for a "quick win" with a 3rd party reference design shoved inside a Tosh case?

Well as suggested/commented before on this thread.... hopefully they have taken the XE1 put a blu ray drive in it and adjusted the firmware... it certainly wouldn't be a bad start :D

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Maybe some of our more tech-savvy friends can help.

As far as I'm aware, pretty much all the audio and video codecs used on HD DVD are used on Blu-ray Disc, and vice versa.

So decoding VC-1 and dts-HD, the audio and video DACs, the disc spinner, the power supply, etc, would all be the same on either format, with only the laser, JAVA, etc are different.

Surely much of what Toshiba learned whilst building HD DVD players can carry forward to the other format, can't it?

Steve W

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Not really, because all their know-how was on writing the bit that's equivalent to the glue that holds it all together. They used Broadcom and NEC to provide the base functions like VC-1 decoding etc. They'll buy in a chipset with it's own BD-Java implementation.

I doubt this time they'll be chucking loads of SHARC processors at the audio either as this time round they'll be wanting to sell machines and make money. Which in itself will provide an interesting view of what they can really throw in for the price they charge.

Will also be interesting to see if they can add their Cell based video processing rather than say add ABT or VRS.

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
Will also be interesting to see if they can add their Cell based video processing rather than say add ABT or VRS.

So will we see the stripped down (BR playback only) PS3 that was discussed way back.. from Toshiba now then! :D :D

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett