1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba as a PC Monitor

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chantman, Mar 20, 2005.

1. chantman

chantman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Okay, I'll try to explain this best I can. I have a PC with an ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb, with DVI and VGA ports. I have a regular 19" crt monitor which is hooked up via the VGA port.

I just bought a new Toshiba 46" DLP projection HDTV. It has a DVI port on it. I want to be able to "clone" or basically have the same image on both monitors, but each monitor have their own resolution. Is this possible??

I hooked up the Toshiba via the DVI port, and I can get it to clone with the PC monitor, but it will only use the monitor's resolution (1280x1024). I need it to use the high def resolution of 1280x720.

Also, when I hook the Toshiba up all by itself and change the resolution to 1280x720, the fonts look fine and everything is clear, but most of the desktop is off of the screen.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks!

2. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi chantman - I have the Toshiba and a 9800Pro on my PC with DVI and VGA but I can't get the Toshiba to show anything via a DVI to HDMI cable. I have succeeded in using the PC via the VGA connection but not with the DVI. Also whenever I plug in the TV the PC pings and the my PC monitor goes blank like it can only drive one display at a time.

I've tried 1280x1024, 1280x720 and 1280x768 (as this works via VGA) all at 60Hz but nothing ever displays on the Toshiba via HDMI.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
    KableMan

3. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, By DVI in, I assume you mean "HDMI" or is there a new model - mine only has HDMI and VGA in. If you have a good video card, VGA in should be possible on all the standard resolutions, up to 1280x768, but 1280x720 will not work (not on mine, at least). The tosh will detect if an input is in a defined range, and will refuse to display anything it does not know about. I assume this is to protect against invalid inputs, which could blow your DLP set very quickly.

Using DVI > HDMI you can set 1280x720 @ 50Hz (HDTV) but you will have some overscan. some people don't mind it. I hate it with a passion. Razor spreads rumours here (hi Raz) that this can be fixed with powerstrip, but so far these setting have at best proved to be elusive, at worst they are simply filthy lies.

Using the ATI Catalyst drivers you should be able to set a different rez for each monitors, but I believe that even standard windows settings allow you this. If you are using linux you can set a different rez, but your desktop will be sized as if it was a big square (highest common denominator on each axis)

I personally find that in windows I have to set DPI to at least 120 to get anything resembling a readable font in windows at 4.5 meters from the screen, but this will bring other problems with poorly written apps (like, 95% of apps out there)

Kableman - are you expanding your desktop? or is this the only connection to the telly. If you are connecting via both VGA (to a monitor or something) and via DVI (to the telly) - make sure you expand your desktop in the control panel. If it is the only connection to the system, you should at least see a POST/BIOS and boot sequence.

Good luck

4. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks - I got DVI->HDMI to work with 1280x720@60Hz but like you the overscan was unworkable. 1280x768 via VGA works a treat. Also I found the HD demos worse via HDMI as opposed to VGA - which were stunning.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

:hiya: Hi mdekkers, Powerstrip works great for me. :D

Sorry to hear you have had no luck with it.

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mdekkers ask Razor how much he paid for his RD65 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :)