1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba and rebadged Panasonics

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Diapason, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello from a long time lurker!

All this talk of the 6th gen Panasonic got me wondering whether Toshiba are going to release a new screen. I understand from previous posts that the Tosh was just a re-badged Panny 5, so I was hopeful that they might now release a re-badged Panny 6 at a knockdown price :smashin:

However, a quick look at the Toshiba website seems to suggest that the new Tosh (42WP36, available end July according to the site) is a completely different beast altogether. The contrast ratio is given as 700:1 (!) Anyone know anything about this? Can we expect a re-badged Panny 6 anytime soon or is that simply too much to hope for?

Cheers,

Si

PS I've learned a whole helluva lot from lurking here over the last couple of months, so thanks to all of you. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger, but I'm struggling to get side-by-side dems. Plus, I'm hearing various reports about a lack of backup from certain manufacturers here in Ireland. It's a confusing business, but I haven't had this much fun since researching my first hi-fi...

2. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently viewed the mxe and the panny 6 side by side, and all I can say is that if you like your blacks black, and not grey, there can only be one (choice). I didn't see any increased detail on the pio (and I tried lots of dvds), but the extra inch is nice.