Toshiba and media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlbaMeccanica, May 28, 2005.

1. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just getting used to my RD-XS34. So far I've only used the discs I already had: Philips 8X (FUJIFILM03) and Samsung PLEOMAX 8x (OPTODISCR008). Errors with 4 out of 6 Samsung discs (I'll definitely have to avoid those...), one Philips disc written correctly and one failed because of a HDD reading error.

Can anyone suggest brands that work flawlessly with this machine?

Here's some I would like to try:

- Memorex 8X (CMC MAG AE1 or RITEKG05);
    - Datawrite RITEK-Optima-Blue 8x (RITEKG05);
    - Datawrite Titanium 8X (CMC MAG. AE1);
    - Datawrite Yellow 8X (CMC MAG. AE1);
    - Ritek 8x Printable Inkjet (RITEKG05).

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Verbatim Pastel coloured -R (4X or 8X) Code TY02
    TDK Scratchless -RW (2X)

These have worked flawlessly for me in my XS32. I haven't tried any on your list.

Mark

3. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been using Datawrite Classic Greys for the last 2 years on my my Panny E30 with very few problems.
    When I bought the Tosh RSX32 last November the Datawrite Classic Greys worked fine without any problems(this included all types ie x2 then x4 then x8). But then I started dubbing from the Hard Disk at x4 and X8 (the Tosh decides on the speed, no choice as far as I know) and I found in the middle sometimes it hadn't copied properly.
    I've since purchased 100 Philips x1-x8 -r disks from BP. I,ve got through about 60 so far and no coasters yet! I'm not sure if these were the same Philips disks you tried. Must point out that I've given up on high speed dubbing so I can't say the Philips disk would be 100% on dubbing. :beer:

4. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, are you suggesting it would be better to just quit high speed? Would it avoid all the trouble? With all the stuff I'm going to record, it would take a lot of time to transfer to dvd, though... :eek:

5. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you are backing up old Videos etc it's worth putting them straight onto DVD disk. Hard disk is best for editing out adverts etc.
    The only time high speed dubbing comes into it's own is where you want more than 1 copy of the same program.
    If you have a reliable disk scource there should be no problem.Datawrite classic greys are a budget disk and a fair proportion of the time recorded at high speed fine, but because there was a chance of it not working I had to keep testing afterwards (I had about 10% failure). I soon got fed up with doing that and since recording at one speed had no problems that I can remember I stick to it.
    If someone can guarantee a type of recording media which works 100% then I may try again. :beer:

6. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I want to do is basically record movies - loads of movies... - and high speed dubbing is the thing for me. Recording directly onto dvd is not an option: I like to have start and end frames adjusted perfectly, for a start... ;) So far I haven't noticed any reading errors with the Philips discs I've written (those you can buy from Nierle), but I haven't really checked them entirely. I understand Datawrite Titanium is good quality (should be their top product) and also very cheap; so is Memorex. The thing is I don't know whether they'll work fine with the Tosh and I have to order like 200 discs... I guess I'll just have to spend more and buy Philips, at least I'm buying something I've already had experience with. Unless someone can recommend other reliable, cheaper brands... :)

P.S. The manual says that chapter marks are not copied during rate conversion dubbing, so what happens to all the editing? :confused:

7. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you edit on the hard disk using playlist it will dub the items you select from that playlist.If you edit the original and delete parts of the original, they are lost forever.Because the final program is made up of parts of the original they will behave like separate chapters. These sections will remain on dubbing even though chapter marks will be lost. :beer:

8. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, let's say I have a playlist - divided the original in three chapters (ads, movie, ads) and took the one in the middle - divided into chapters: what do I get? :rolleyes:

9. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to drag things a bit off topic, Alba, but are videos copied onto DVD regarded as permanent.

I mentioned that I was gonna be copying a few videos and a colleague said that any such DVDs only last a few months and that it would have to be repeated again and again. :confused:

10. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the quality and also on the way you store them: many people have had problems with Princos (very cheap and considered bad like hell), for example, while mine still play excellently in any of my players after over a year and a half (as a matter of fact, Princo is the only brand I've never had problems with...). On the other hand I've had reading problems with Verbatims... It's also a question of compatibility between machines (players and recorders) and media and that's the thing with the Tosh: to me, Samsung is a good brand and I've used their discs frequently without any problems (both burning and readind them) but apparently this doesn't go for my new dvd-recorder. :rolleyes:

11. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new blank discs on Monday and I'm pleased to announce that both Datawrite Titanium 8X (CMC MAG. AE1) and Memorex 8X (RITEKG05) discs work perfectly. I noticed there's an area around the center hole on the written side of these discs that is different in color than the rest of the surface, which doesn't happen with my Philips discs: is this normal?