Toshiba A1/XA1 v2.0 Firmware available today

StooMonster

At least according to HD BEAT
http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/08/20/hd-dvd-2-0-firmware-to-be-released-on-tuesday/

The update is for those HD DVD players connected to the internet.

Wonder if this works if you have a non-American IP address?

Wonder what this upgrade contains? HD BEAT speculates that it's HDMI fixes and DD TrueHD 5.1 -- but does it contain region encoding in preparation for European launch of HD DVD players?

StooMonster

R

Roughneck1

tempted to update my firmware for the first time with this... hummm

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I doubt it will have regional encoding
Unless they've done it in ultra high secrecy then regional coding for HD DVD is still on the drawing board and not part of this firmware!

StooMonster

So will an American HD H1 play European titles?

I read that when European HD DVD players are available they will introduce region encoding: Google provides plenty of links that write that this is the case. From my experience it seems to me that it's only a simple firmware upgrade to add this functionality, is it likely that American players will remain region free and play American and European titles? If so, I may have to buy one NOW!

StooMonster

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I read that when European HD DVD players are available they will introduce region encoding: Google provides plenty of links that write that this is the case.
Regional Coding for HD DVD is under discussion now - the last meeting of the DVD Forum sent away a working group to draw up proposals. Naturally alot of people are assuming that regional coding will appear nicely timed with European releases.

Well I guess we'll see. But if you consider that Toshiba (etc) doubtless appreciate that they don't have full studio support yet, and that a significant proportion of early HD DVD sales will be boasted by international support, then I can't see them rushing into it. And I should imagine the early European HD DVDs are already in production - the covers certainly are as we've seen the pics - so these are unlikely to be region coded either.

thfccambs

Banned
shaithis said:
I doubt it will have regional encoding.

90 mins left until I can try the update...damn work ;)
Look forward to your findings.:)

nictry

Can someone explain true HD 5.1 for me? I have HDMI through to my amp which then broadcasts sound and transfer picture to a panel. There is no HD-DD sound option shown on my amp (Yam 2600) and covers THX select 2, DD, DTS etc. etc. will I gain anything when this new sound format comes through (if it comes through) on the formware upgrade :confused:

Sorry but I just don't understand this one (some people seem to suggest you need to use the 5.1 outputs on the HD-A1 but not sure how that would work either?????)

StooMonster

Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1 does not work over HDMI 1.1 afaik, you have to use the analogue outputs of player and connect these to six analogue inputs on your amp/preamp.

This way the player decodes the audio and all your amp does is play it, and if preamp it simply passes it through.

StooMonster

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
StooMonster said:
Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1 does not work over HDMI 1.1 afaik, you have to use the analogue outputs of player and connect these to six analogue inputs on your amp/preamp.

This way the player decodes the audio and all your amp does is play it, and if preamp it simply passes it through.

StooMonster

so the hope is that a firmware update would allow hdmi to do this ?

i have to say the sound in 5.1 via hdmi is much more impresive on hddvd

StooMonster

No, the v2.0 firmware apparently supports Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1 over analogue output -- i.e. the player does the audio decoding.

You need HDMI 1.3 to carry HD audio signals like TrueHD 5.1; HDMI 1.1 simply doesn't have this in the spec.

StooMonster

richard plumb

StooMonster said:

StooMonster

well TrueHD doesn't work at all at the moment. But when it does, it should work as well over HDMI as it does over analogue 5.1 cables. The player is doing the decoding, it just changes where it sends the sound. (Its just sending PCM over HDMI so no need for exotic HDMI 1.3 or fancy amps)

nictry

StooMonster said:

StooMonster
Cheers for the info although seeing the later replies I am as confused as I was when I started :eek: :rotfl:

StooMonster

Oh okay, so PCM is fine -- it's the uncompressed HD signals that need HDMI 1.3

StooMonster

klacey

At the moment you can get true hd from only 2 channels.

Nic Rhodes

The point of HD DVD audio coding is it is done in the player and the various sources are mixed in the player. This means the lossless HD codecs are decoded in the player and produce PCM signals. These can go out via HDMI 1.1 or can be converted to analogue. Both will give HD lossless 'quality'.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
StooMonster said:
No, the v2.0 firmware apparently supports Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1 over analogue output -- i.e. the player does the audio decoding.

You need HDMI 1.3 to carry HD audio signals like TrueHD 5.1; HDMI 1.1 simply doesn't have this in the spec.

StooMonster

So (off at a alight tangent) to get the best 5.1 sound I can from my Denon 4306 I should upgarde to 2.0 and connect by the analoge outputs ? if so - anyone recommend me an ok set of cables for about 30 notes ?

Novice Member

nictry

DuncanWardle said:
billy bargain to me also

they will do - so this updating firmware lark

(a) is it easy
(b) will it loose any functions
Have been monitoring the avsforums for a while and although 2.0 is supposed to be out today doesnt seem anyone knows what it will actually do :eek: I for one will hold off a little while to see what it does/doesn't do as my player works fine at the mo and I am not keen to balls it up by doing a download of something that has not even been released/tested yet :oops:

Twan1

Banned
Hiya all, i'm probably missing the point completely here but in the past i've always been under the impression that a digi coaxial cable from dvd player to amp was always best.

I currently have a Name AV2 and am awaiting my toshiba HD A1 to get the best sound out of the 2 should i be be trying to go down the analogue route??

Also just to note, on the back on the actual dvd player it only has 5.1 anologue, but what if you have a 7.1 system, i'm sure theres a lot of us that do, so whata becomes of the extra surrounds??

I'm sorry if the answer to this is an obvious one but i just cant seem to get my head round it???

Avi

Distinguished Member
Twan1 said:
Hiya all, i'm probably missing the point completely here but in the past i've always been under the impression that a digi coaxial cable from dvd player to amp was always best.

I currently have a Name AV2 and am awaiting my toshiba HD A1 to get the best sound out of the 2 should i be be trying to go down the analogue route??

Also just to note, on the back on the actual dvd player it only has 5.1 anologue, but what if you have a 7.1 system, i'm sure theres a lot of us that do, so whata becomes of the extra surrounds??

I'm sorry if the answer to this is an obvious one but i just cant seem to get my head round it???
Optical/coax doesn't have the bandwidth to support the new audio formats. To gain the benefit of these you should use HDMI or analogue. I don't believe you can achieve 7.1 via the analogue output because the player only has 5.1 connections.

AVI

Uruloke

Has anyone actually downloaded this yet???? I'm not until I know exactly what the update does.

Twan1

Banned
Hi Avi, thats strange that the player only supports 5.1 isn't it as i thought 7.1 was to be the 'standard' so to speak for hd dvd.

This seems to be quite a problem then as unless you use an amp with hdmi the maximum channels you can use would be 5.1 unless the amp automatically sends signals to the extra set of rears?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
thats strange that the player only supports 5.1 isn't it as i thought 7.1 was to be the 'standard' so to speak for hd dvd.
7.1 sound isn't yet on any software - it's a feature that will get added to players and software as time goes on - much as DTS was added to DVD. It would have been nice to have it from day 1 but this is really a second/third generation feature.

Twan1

Banned
so on that basis, would the 2 extra rear speakers still output sound as they do now even though its not programmed on the disc i.e, i've always used a coaxial cabel and have always had sound coming out of all 7.1 speakers (though by what your saying it was just created by the amp not the dvd player)

even that is a bit confusing though as i thought DTS ES and DD EX were 7.1/6.1 sound formats designed to utilize the 'extra speakers' yet again, on the dvd players if using analoge it only outputs 5.1?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Twan1 said:
Hi Avi, thats strange that the player only supports 5.1 isn't it as i thought 7.1 was to be the 'standard' so to speak for hd dvd.

This seems to be quite a problem then as unless you use an amp with hdmi the maximum channels you can use would be 5.1 unless the amp automatically sends signals to the extra set of rears?
It only supports 5.1 via analogue. That doesn't mean it can't decode extended channels just it can't output them using the analogue option. Just like spdif/coax isn't able to support the newer audio formats.

AVI

StooMonster

Avi said:
Optical/coax doesn't have the bandwidth to support the new audio formats.
Physically it does, but you can't put HDCP on SP/DIF transport so it's been abandoned. :(

StooMonster

Trending threads

Latest news

Best Home AV Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Disney+ unveils Maclunkey cut of Star Wars: A New Hope
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ subscribers experience launch day technical jitters
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published