1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba, a sound choice?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mekon, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Mekon

Mekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for the misleading pun.

Thanks to these forums, I'm on the verge of purchasing a Toshiba 28Z13 from QED. Previously I'd been set to get the JVC AV28WFT1 from Empire Direct, but I need to be able to correct RGB shift when using my PS2, and the thread on doing that looked scary, and QED seem to have a decent enough rep here. I feel pretty happy with this set's features, given I haven't found 100Hz to my liking.

What does trouble me though, is the sight of that thread concerning the ZP18 model range. I've heard good things about Toshiba generally in the press, so should I consider the concerns about this model to be just that, concerns about a single range?

BTW, if I've completely missed the mark on my choice, feel free to say, I'm a newbie as far as AV is concerned.

Cheers.

2. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a new JVC AV28WFR1 and thought that it was just my tv that caused rgb shift. But alas, no... RGB shift is a common problem, and yes you have to fiddle with the service menu, but that's what you have to risk if you want the best setup.
    :( Apart from that the tv is cool, bargain for £480 inc VAT & p&P

> I own a JVC AV-28WFR1EK and the Picture is one of the best I have seen. You
    > may have to adjust the geometry in the service menu if you use the RGB for
    > Satellite etc. as there is a some RGB Shift. The amount of shift is not
    > worth bothering with if you only occasionally use RGB.
    >
    > The service menu is accessed on the remote by pressing the "i" button and
    > mute at the same time, to adjust the geometry select option 4, the other
    > options are best left alone. Before you adjust any of the settings be sure
    > to write them all down so that you can return them to the defaults if you
    > cock-up. You will need to write down the settings for all modes, panoramic,
    > regular, 14:9, 16:9, 16:9 subtitle, full. To move between the modes in the
    > service menu press the red button on the remote. The up and down buttons on
    > the remote moves between the different settings the left and right buttons
    > change the value. Press "OK" to save changes or "i" to go back/exit. If you
    > change a modes settings save them before moving on to the next mode or the
    > settings return to the previous value.
    >
    > Please note you can completely knacker the TV in the service menu so only
    > make the changes if you are prepared to take that risk. The guarantee will
    > not cover meddling with geometry etc. in the service menu.

As for toshibas, check reviews in all the mags

empire direct gave me a quote of 3 weeks to deliver my tv, and as it is coming up to xmas, i would try a price match with qed or other places who actually have them in stock. I got them from sound & vision

I'd use the search menu and look at empire direct threads!!!:cool:

3. Mekon

Mekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the JVC is a beautiful piece of kit. The lack of simple adjustment to compensate for RGB puts me off though. I've looked at the Empire Direct site (and the relevant threads) for the Tosh, but it is 35 quid more when you include delivery. I've yet to try Sound and Vision, but they seem to have a good rep too, so I will tomorrow, as QED won't have the Toshiba in stock for a day or two.

The equivalent Panasonic is somewhat more expensive, but also has easy picture adjustment.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The older tosh models suffered RGB picture shift too, although there were two ways to correct it.

The newer models do not. However, i haven't had the opportunity to check it on your model of interest.

5. Mekon

Mekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I checked with Toshiba, and this one has the ability to adjust the picture, so I await delivery from QED.

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They all have the ability to adjust the picture positioning but the RGB shift can only be fixed in the service menu.

If you correct it using the normal tv menu, it will shift all the other sources the other way too.

I very much doubt Toshiba would encourage you to make changes via the service and/or the designer menus.

7. Mekon

Mekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, shows what a newbie I am. So, do some tv's allow seperate adjustment for different sources? All I was looking for was the ability to easily make an adjustment, and I'm not bothered about having to move it back, though obviously not having to would be sweet. AFAIK the JVC AV28WFT1 doesn't allow for any adjustment outside of the service menu, which is why I thought any adjustment was a boon.

8. Mekon

Mekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it turned up, and it's great. Unfortunately QED don't feel it's necessary to tell you when it's coming unless it's 32" or over. Fortunately Citylink redelivered within a 30 mnute window, which was great.

The TV is everything I hoped for, and the RGB shift adjustment can be set for the external sources individually. The only niggle is getting the colour settings right, as the default ones are a bit gaudy. I've gone for contrast 55/100, brightness 50/100, and colour 45/100, with no tint. This looks good on both my digibox, and my PS2 with an RGB cable.

Oh, and Pro Evo Soccer is sublime in widescreen :).