• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Toshiba 9500e question

drphibes

Established Member
Hi

Just managed to buy a Toshiba 9500e and have a quick question.
I have hooked the player upto my Panasonic 37pe50 Plasma via the component connections and fired the player up.
I noticed that there is a progressive scan led on the front of the player and was expecting this to perhaps light up when a disc is played back but it does not light up.
I have checked the setup menu and it has progressive set to auto.

Should this led light up or am I doing something wrong ?.

Cheers

Drphibes
 

drphibes

Established Member
Hi mate

Got it sussed now , didnt realise that there was a flap on the remote !!!!.

Oh well off to have a tinker with the player now.

Drphibes
 

John Simon

Prominent Member
You enjoy - and keep in touch matey, its probably the best all round DVD player you can get. BTW where did you get it from?

John
 

drphibes

Established Member
Spotted it on ebay earlier today.
I was looking at the 9500e and a Denon 2900 and decided to go for the Tosh due to the fact that it was £250 (£45 cheaper than the Denon) and included a excellent bnc/component lead.
The guy who I bought it from stated that it had approx 38 hours use from new and I see no reason to doubt him due to his description of the player cosmetically was spot on.

Got to advertise my Cambridge 540d now to try and get some cash back and clear a space for the new player.

Drphibes
 

CJROSS

Prominent Member
drphibes said:
Spotted it on ebay earlier today.
I was looking at the 9500e and a Denon 2900 and decided to go for the Tosh due to the fact that it was £250 (£45 cheaper than the Denon) and included a excellent bnc/component lead.
The guy who I bought it from stated that it had approx 38 hours use from new and I see no reason to doubt him due to his description of the player cosmetically was spot on.

Got to advertise my Cambridge 540d now to try and get some cash back and clear a space for the new player.

Drphibes

Well done sir, you have purchased yourself a rather stunning film & music device. It also doubles up as a rather fine CDP to my ears. No way embarrassed in the company of my Linn TT. If you can give the XLR stereo outputs a run into a suitably equipped XLR stereo amp at some point well a large msile may develop on your face. Tis very very nice. As for visually well its stunning. Only HD-DVD I have seen, betters what this player is capable through its component PAL PS output :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302399
 

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
You may also wish to check that it has the PAL PS firmware on it.
 

drphibes

Established Member
CJROSS said:
Well done sir, you have purchased yourself a rather stunning film & music device. It also doubles up as a rather fine CDP to my ears. No way embarrassed in the company of my Linn TT. If you can give the XLR stereo outputs a run into a suitably equipped XLR stereo amp at some point well a large msile may develop on your face. Tis very very nice. As for visually well its stunning. Only HD-DVD I have seen, betters what this player is capable through its component PAL PS output :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302399


I had read about the build quality of this player but it really did surprise me when I actually got to see it in the flesh.
Not had a chance to watch a film yet but hoping to do this tonight but from what I have read it would be very surprising if the 9500e returned poor results.

I am pretty sure it has the correct firmware for Pal progressive , the guy I bought it from said that it did and I am sure that I spotted a option for Pal progressive in the menu of the player last night.

Drphibes
 

CJROSS

Prominent Member

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Hooked up to a PE50 should give you quite a pleasant surprise. I had mine to a 42PE30 (same res as yours) and now a 42PV500.

FW v2.7 is what you want on it for PAL PS. Your plasma is PS anyway so you won't need it out of your player. You can switch of course to see which device is doing the better job of de-interlacing.
 

drphibes

Established Member
Ekko Star said:
Hooked up to a PE50 should give you quite a pleasant surprise. I had mine to a 42PE30 (same res as yours) and now a 42PV500.

FW v2.7 is what you want on it for PAL PS. Your plasma is PS anyway so you won't need it out of your player. You can switch of course to see which device is doing the better job of de-interlacing.


So if I do not have the progressive led lit on the 9500e the pe50 will do the progressive instead and vice versa ?.
Any idea on what piece of equipment will give the best results ? pe50 or the 9500e ?.

Drphibes
 

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom