TOSHIBA 82ZD16B what do you think

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by raymandust, Dec 30, 2001.

1. raymandust

raymandust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought this tv from comet it cost me 1000 so im not realy grumbling it's a cheep tv great for watching dvd but whatching normal tv is not so hot the image is a bit digitised and the 4.3 bar is slightly off at the bottom of the screen dont you hate that curvature of the earth my biggest problem has to be the contrast unless you turn it right down below half you can see the horizontal lines that make up the tv the picture looks blocky and contrast bleed is terible and from time to time the picture get lighter then darker now im using ixos calbles so this should not happen i did read a review of this set and it did say thios set was not so hot for tv viewing but omg
    so if anyone has bought the same set and you have the same or none of these problems drop a post and we can mone together if there are any fixes out there please let me know ray

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This set is a Comet "exclusive" so you'll have a very exclusive gang discussing its merits. I wish you well.

Pathfinder ;)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these about 3 or 4 months ago. The default brightness settings were way too high, and upon lowering them, the picture is much better.

I've also found the best settings to be 100Hz set to 100Hz rather than Natural.
    Also, set DNR to 'off.'

TV viewing is fine to me. Only (small) problem I have is that there is a little convergence on the left-hand side of the screen, but it's nothing major.

I think you can alter this via a service menu, but I don't know how to access the service menu on this TV.

4. raymandust

raymandust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i not sure if i agree about the 100 hz i find its makes every thing a bit jittery but if you get a greate picture with it i'll give it another shot is i find out out about the service menu if post it thanks for the reply oh and o your self a favour buy a dvd with comp out and link it up to your tv the picture image is stuning that's waht the dnr is used for any other image svhs or rgb and it smears the picture component on the other hand does not have this problem cheers and have a nice new year mate

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy New Year to you as well!

I've linked up my Sony DVD Player to my Tosh TV with 3 x phono component video leads, and you do definitely get a slightly better picture than with a SCART RGB connection.

I found how to enter the service menu, and tweaked various settings to sort out the convergence problem:

Turn TV on.

Press MUTE on remote and release.

Press down MUTE on REMOTE and hold. While holding, press MENU button on TV's front panel. Release both buttons.

An 'S' should appear on the screen.

Write down all original settings before you change them so you can return to them if anything goes wrong. Turning off the TV saves the changes.

Go here for more info:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/toshiba/convergence_tomherman.html

:D

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check google under the uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup for "toshiba service menu" to get comments on the Tosh service menu relevant to the European/UK models and not the US ones.

Also, be wary that some of the modes share settings in the S menu so changing a setting will impact on one (and in one case 2) of the other zoom modes. The D menu can alter one mode at a time if you know the codes to look for.

7. BreadAndScrape

BreadAndScrape

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have suffered problems with this TV. My major problem with it is the noise it makes when changing from one scene in a film to another... It sounds as though it as about to switch into standby. This only happens when it is showing a program which is mainly dark in its background but then suddenly changes into a light background...it is so annoying. Also watching at night, and again when there is a dark background I can see a long darker stretch of black down the centre of the screen. Im wondering whether the transformer is on its way out ...but the TV is only 18 days old from Comet, so i am entitled to a new 1 under the 28 day return policy. Have any of you suffered any of these problems with your Tosh?:(

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry dude, haven't had any problems like that with my Tosh.

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a power supply problem.

Get it sorted now rather than later

10. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned one of these due to a fault, but to be honest I was glad it was faulty as I was very disappointed with the quality of this set.

I too thought the picture quality was pretty crap especially with SKY digibox going thru the RGB scart. If the contrast is turned above 50%, the picture looks really blocky.

Wasn't impressed by the sound quality either and the set didn't give you many options to change the settings.

I also noticed the problem that BreadAndScrapeBreadAndScrape had with the strange noise when changing from a dark to light picture.

Have now had a refund from Comet and am considering which to go for next.

:rolleyes: