1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 56WH08B v 56WH18B

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jasonbrown, Mar 12, 2002.

1. jasonbrown

jasonbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just spoken to Robert Whyte in Glasgow and HED.co.uk, both of whom say they have no 56WH08B in stock but do have stock of the 56WH18B. The WH1 is the silver one and is supposedly an identical tv under the skin. Can anyone confirm this? The 56WH08B has received such good opinion I want to make sure the 56WH18B will give the same quality.

Hed.co.uk do the 56WH08B for £2322 inc VAT & delivery, and Robert Whyte quoted me £2550 inc vat and delivery for the 56WH18B. Anyone found anywhere cheaper?

Also, can anyone recommend a dealer to go and see either of these models in the Manchester/Cheshire area?

Finally, am I correct in my understahding that this tele does the job of my current Dolby Digital amp, in that I simply link up all my existing 5.1 speakers to the tv directly, and the Dolby digital amp will now be redundant? ie can be used for cinema room number 2...

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know of a 56" version of the Toshiba WH18B range, there are two, the 42WH18B and the 50WH18B. Sound & Vision, Market Street, Farnworth, Bolton usually have these and many other RP tv's on display and is well worth visiting. Their phone number is 01204 861861. Also on display and for demo are a wide selection of tv's, projectors, plasma, DVD players, VCR's, hi-fi gear and accessories. They are open every day except Sunday and until 7pm Thursday.

3. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jasonbrown - do yourself a favour and get the TV from TV+Video Direct. Great company to deal with, cheapest prices and next day delivery. :D Their number is 01204 394422. Goto Sound And Vision in Bolton to demo and checkout the TV's, but don't buy from there. Regarding prices I think TV+Video Direct do the 56" Wide Tosh for about £2200 inc next day delivery. One thing is for sure - DO NOT under any circumstances buy from Robert Whyte Ltd or AVShopDirect (same company). Either get it from Sound and Vision of TV+Video Direct. Good luck. :D

4. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i seem to remember reading that the new model is a 57wh18b.

I got my 50wh18b from QED at less than the 46" price (back in December) - it wasn't listed on the website but they had it when i rang them. As a result, I paid £1680 for it which i've never seen beaten anywhere since.

Definately worth a call..number's on the website at www.qed-uk.com

5. jasonbrown

jasonbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thank you Matt it does indeed seem a 57" is on it's way, if the US market is anything to go by:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...pictures/14/102-7499072-7401768#more-pictures

looks good. I spoke to Toshiba UK today who informed me that the 56WH08B is "still in production", and had no information on any forthcoming models, and said the 56WH18B quoted by me as a silver didn't in fact exist. He also said that Toshiba only change theis model of tele once a year in March/Aril time, and that the information he had covered that period, ie possibly no 57" tele for a year, at least in the UK.

Doh!!!

Attached Files:

6. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jason - I don't think that picture will resemble the UK version of the upcoming Tosh 57" at all. That's an american model tv only. I would imagine the 57" widescreen will either be the same as the current 56" black models or it will look like the newer silver models.

7. jasonbrown

jasonbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to make everyone aware, I've just ordered the 50WH18B from Sound & Vision in Bolton. The 56" is the only one they sell in that range now, which is being discontuned. The WH18B range is now the only range I'm told, and is very highly rated.

S&V were not only cheapest but gave the best service. There is a 3 week waiting list for these sets, unless you want to pay silly money on the high street. S&V offered it for £1900 and give 9 months 0% interest free.

3 weks and counting!