1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 52WM48P - Is it worth the price?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dfective, Jul 26, 2005.

1. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in this display, primarily due to the size and price but is it any good? does anyone else have this screen and could give their review before i spend 1800 on one?
    Also does this display take DVI or alternative connection so I could hook a PC up to it?
    Thanks

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    :hiya:

This set suffers with blurring and oil painting effect. There is loads of info on this matter in these forums. Use the search tool and search the DLP rear pro section for the info. Also demo this set with good and bad feeds, compare against other makes. I would personally go for the 50' samsung which is around the same money but far better IMO. Toshiba are bringing ou their replacement for these sets in a few months maybe you would be better hold off till then. :rolleyes:

BTW welcome to the forums. :hiya:

:D

3. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi razor,

basically i'm looking for the best dlp screen around 46" or higher thats hd ready and preferably takes DVI (or similar which will take a PC input). I want to spend under 2000 but could go higher if need be.
    I found this..
    Samsung SP50
    Is that a good price, or even a good set?

Sorry if I sound like a noob.... thats because I am :D

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

dfective :hiya:

The best 50' set is definately the Samsung 50' as it has no real weakness's. The price you have is a bit high I am sure you can purchase the samsung set for around the £1900 mark. If you are a member of Costco I would try there as they have a very good returns policy coupled with a low price.

The samsung has a digital input with HDCP with you will need for HD material and connecting a pc up is no problem. Many owners have done so.

noob's are alway welcome so dont worry about that. :thumbsup:

5. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ohh well i found this for 1829 but the shop i've never heard of before and I'm always weary of these types of online stores.
    Robertsons Online
    or Comet for 2000 but at the convienence at knowing your local stores always round the corner of you when you want to moan when it breaks on you :rolleyes:
    what do you think? thanks for your help by the way. :clap:

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Robertsons are a well known online store, so you should be ok there. You could try john Lewis and see if they will price match. John Lewis offer a 5 year warrenty for free with their goods which is always good. :thumbsup:

I would still recomend a demo of this set as DLP technology can produce what is called a rainbow effect. There are loads of threads on this subject. Only a small percentage of the population will be effected by this. But its always best to make sure you or anyone else in your house doesnt suffer with this effect as it can ruin the experiance.

:thumbsup: A pleasure to help.

7. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i work up in london and theres a john lewis round the corner to me at oxford circus so will pop there after work with my internet prices, lol.
    i havent heard anything bad about this screen apart from apparant problems via its hdmi connector.
    Quote from AVreview.co.uk
    "Our only serious concern with the SP50L7HX is its tendency to exaggerate MPEG blocking noise from DVDs when you use its HDMI connection. Hopefully this noise will not be apparent with Sky’s high definition programmes when they start."
    hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

I havent heard of this issue with th HDMI connection. :confused:

Try and take some dvd's with you when you go to John Lewis, spend a good while demoing and dont be shy if your there for an hour or two.

9. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be put off by many of the negative comments about the 52" Tosh. My choice came down to the Tosh and the Samsung and I preferred the Tosh. I have no regrets in my choice.

Have a look at them both and make up your own mind.

10. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what made you go with the toshiba over the samsung?

11. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) From comparing them in the shops I thought the Tosh had a much better picture.

2) It's bigger :eek:

3) It came down to personal taste on which unit looked better...and more importantly Mrs Fugitive thought the Tosh looked better too ;)

It's all down to personal taste. It was debated a lot a few months ago on here when those 2 dlps were (arguably) the front runners (and possibly still are).

Some people swore the Tosh had the better picture and others the Samsung.

I think the Samsung has a softer picture and the Tosh a sharper one. It also depends a lot on whether you like the middle column of the Samsung as opposed to the standard shelves of the Tosh.

I'm not flying the flag of the Toshiba over all others - it has it's problems, they all do.

I looked at most of what was available and chose the Toshiba. Knowing what I know now I probably still would.

What I am trying to say is read all the comments but it is important that you make your own choice.

12. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this tends to come more from the DVD player you use with it than the TV itself - the DVD forum has had a few threads on this topic stating that some brands tend to be worse at showing macroblocking than others, but it's nothing specific to the TV or technology that I'm aware of.

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Chumpy :hiya:

This makes sense. I thought as much. :smashin:

14. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dammit, was just out to buy the samsung sp50 but then i saw in the bdc.co.uk catalogue the Toshiba 52"WM48P set for £1575!
    wonder if now i should go with this, even after the good reviews of the samsung... :rolleyes:

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    All I can say is you get what you pay for. Stick to the Samsung and dont look back. Its a great set and you will be 100% satisified.

The last thing you want is to see the Samsung in action after you buy the Tosh and wish you had spent the extra cash on the Samsung. The tosh is the only DLP set not to have a Faroujda chip which is the heart of these DLP sets and the reason why the Tosh suffers with motion blurr and oil painting effect.

The Samsung is worth the extra money. :thumbsup:

Also you must demo these sets before you buy. I cant stress that enough.

16. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i cant find anywhere that will demo the tosh set, although i looked at hd going through the samsung at comet the other day and it looked fantastic!
    maybe i'll stick to my guns then.. i have heard some dodgy comments about the tosh anyway, apart from it also looking like a jumbo breeze block. :D

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Good choice, stick to the samsung.

[​IMG] LOL @ jumbo breeze block [​IMG]

18. dfective

dfective
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about i buy the samsung, then i swap it for your screen? i think thats a fair deal :D

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

:rotfl: :rotfl: A nice try mate :smashin: