1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 52WM48P in the UK!!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by g_unit, Jan 4, 2005.

1. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is my first post though I have been reading this site for a while.

I have sad tail of woe with a Sony 50" LCD RP. After 4 months of not turning on first time, restarting randomly and generally being a pain in the as* it died. With a wait of five months for the bulb and Light Engine board to arrive I am trying my best to return it.

Once that lump is gone I am going to buy a DLP as they seem to have a better picture. So this brings me to the subject line. I dont want a smaller TV than 50" as this would make my story even sadder!

After scouring the net I found the Tosh 50" DLP at Unbeatable. Out of all the DLP's my fav is the Tosh.

Unbeatable are selling it for £2000 inc VAT and delivery! Asides from being the very few who have it in the UK, it is super cheap.

The link is: http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_24541.html

Is this a good TV people?? I may take the plung as soon as the Sony (BOOO!) is gone.

G-Unit

2. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 46er over the last few days. IMHO, its the best i have had demoed over the last few weeks and bought it.

Played a few DVDs, but primarily RF feeds. Did a test yesterday and played Arsenal 2003/04 championship DVD on Panasonic A350 player. Was very good. Footie match, ok, better than expected. Just waiting for the HDMI player coming in tomorrow and rewatch the difference on footie matches.

Overall very pleased, although i must admit, i brought mine back to COSTCO today and got a replacement immediately.

The reason for it is in my other thread '' Tosh 46WM49 with cloudy marks ''

Apart from that, Nemo and Bugs life are AWESOME, and that thru the normal DVD player so far.

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This TV is actually 52" as I dont think Toshiba make a DLP in "50.
    Haven't heard much about this model contrast ratio is only 1000:1 though it claims its HDTV ready so I presume it supports HDMI.

4. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry my mistake - It is a 52" screen!

From what I've read this is the same as the smaller 46" DLP RP, so I would assume (in fact i know) its HD ready and supports HDMI.

5. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right,
    The 46 and 52 are exactly the same. Go to the Toshiba website and download the Rear pro catalogue, there it shows you the Tech specs as well as the connections.

maidstoneman30s

6. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are the basic specs of this TV:

. 132cm visible screen size . HD ready . 1280x720 display resolution . 16:9 aspect ratio . Digital Light Processing technology . 6 segment colour wheel . 2x 20W RMS audio output . SRS surround sound . 1000:1 contrast ratio . Brightness 600Cd/m2 . HDMI connectivity . 3x Scart . Remote control . Stand included ST5284

7. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Damn you G Unit :mad:
    I was all set to go out and buy the 46er... but now....46" or 52"
    ............................................................................. :rolleyes:

At this rate I will be stuck with my Sony 29" for another 11 years... ;)

8. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can safely say that if i had bought the 52inch version my missus would have left me, such is the size of the 46inch model.

The mind does boggles how big this set actually is in the flesh.

9. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seriously tempted even without seeing this in the flesh!

Has anyone posted a review of the 52" model? Does it support HDCP?

10. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the US Toshiba site if you want to see it. As it has HDMI then it will support HDCP. Having seen the Optoma range last week which included the 50" and 65" screen, I was quite dissapointed therefore I am now deciding between the Samsung 50", Tosh 52" and the Pioneer 43" XDE plasma.

11. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yes indeedy, the 52 is identical to the 46 other then screen size, same inputs/internals...

I am pretty sure these haven't actually been made yet.. and before anyone says anything, my Nephew is sat on the Production line making the DLP sets in the factory.. I'll give him a ring and see when they are planned for production..

Might actually replace my 51wh36 with one of these... if I can get some staff discount..

12. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Demon - I hope you are wrong :lease: as I have now made up my mind to go for the 52" !!
    I will try to order from unbeatable tomorrow (but may ring gultronics first to see their price/availability). Think I will get the 3 year warranty for £124 too. Seems a bargain but fine print excludes bulbs(not lamps) which they may argue is a play on words (again will check for clarification). Let you all know how I get on. I am so excited - like a kid at christmas :D I dont think the size will be a problem as I have just thrown out an old 2 seater settee in front of a bay window and this will FILL the gap nicely! This will also mean I can finally sort out my surround sound with fronts and rears that are positioned @ exactly that!
    Haven't decided on new equipment for this yet though... :smashin:

13. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well Demon was right it seems :( . Unbeatable state no stock carried - comes direct from the manufaturer so checked with Gultronics who said that model was discontinued and the 46 was THE set at the moment. :nono: I informed the salesman that it was more likely not to have been made yet and to his credit he promised to ring Tosh and check. Called me back within about 10 mins and said I was right :cool: and could order now and it would take 2-3 weeks. (Not sure how accurate that will be Demon :rolleyes: - any chance you can check with your nephew?)
    One good thing was Gultronics will beat any price it seems - went down to £1,935 after an initial £1,975 when I told him about unbeatable price - and went to £1,929 in an effort to get me to commit today(which I didnt). Maybe unbeatable will also drop which could be good :laugh:
    Bad side is no warranty from gultronics so will need to check that out - have tescos started doing them yet or virgin? :laugh:
    Better still might be costco if they stock- but not a member there :thumbsdow
    Have waited this long so will stick it out for the 52" I think :(

14. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. snark

snark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they are cheaper. By a whole 1p when you take P&P into account. :D

16. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - What a saving! I was just guessing from memory how much Unbeatable were charging, thought it was nearer to £2000!

Oh well - 1p's better than nothing...

17. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    £1 less? Not quite, because 247 are £1902 and £45 delivery and unbeatable are £1947 plus £99 :thumbsdow delivery.
    Neither will price match (because the item has to be in stock) and as we all know they are only just being made..Do these companies ever actually stock anything or just order direct from the manufacturer?

www.247electrical.co.uk dont do extended warranties on this product www.unbeatable.co.uk do a very good £219 5year (1+4) warranty, underwritten by Domestic and General insurance ( who DO cover the lamps - I have it in an email if anyone wants a copy PM me). So talk about swings and roundabouts, because if you want to buy at 247 prices you have to organise your own warranty.

Dom and Gen (when spoken to direct)are quoting £204 for 3years (1+2) and £426 for 5 year extended warranty. Toshiba uk want £350 for 5 years (via London General Holdings).

Best option however may be Costco for the returns policy if they are going to stock. If I was a member I would be knocking down their door :D
    I'm not a member though so am waiting to see if www.gultronics.co.uk will beat 247 price and go for the 5 year warranty for £281 from www.warrantyex.co.uk (thanks to mort for that one :thumbsup: )
    or 247 and warrantyex if gultronics dont come up with the goods.

Finally, my thanks goes out to all you guys who have contributed with help and hints,photos and concerns. Without you all (too many of you to list) I would still be sat watching my Sony 29" blissfully ignorant of Tosh's beast and bigger brother, gladiator 3.16 (cant wait to see for myself) blurring, cushions, best distance to view and sky's s :censored: t feed ( I always thought it was good - tsk what do I know?)
    No doubt when I get the 52"er. I will be looking through all your posts again in search of the perfect picture...

I salute you all :clap: Or clap....

Update: Gultronics came through at £1930 delivered inc vat :smashin: , so I have taken the plunge and ordered!!Delivery 7-10 days. Will give warrantyex a call now... unless someone can tell me of a better deal....?:thumbsup:

18. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ManGina,

What product code etc did you order under as I cant find the TV on their site?

Thanks, let us know how you get on with the TV as I will be ordering one when my Sony LCD RP goes back next week hopefully!

19. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you send me the e-mail then, as I am ordering mine this weekend from Unbeatable. Thanks.

20. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward it to you.

21. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a PM ?

22. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Private message mate

23. donmc

donmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone get one delivered? Whats the verdict?

24. JohnWin

JohnWin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just on the specification - some web sites say this TV (52WM48P) does not support progressive scan - is that right??