Toshiba 52WM48 - Views & anything I should look for on delivery?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by MacReady, Nov 4, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    We are getting a 52" Toshiba 52WM48 next week.....for free :eek:

Our five year old Toshiba 40" RPTV has had a minor problem since the beginning of this year. We had the screen replaced under the extended warranty as it was damaged during some house renovations and since then there has been a very slight blur to the left hand edge of the screen.

Over the last couple of months we have had three engineers visit to try and sort this with the last one saying that the whole board would need replacing. Got a letter yesterday to say that the TV was classed as beyond economical repair and that they would replace it with an equivalent model. Since there is no equivalent in the Toshiba range they are giving us the 52WM48 :D

Best bit is that the letter also states that the old Tosh TV is no longer their responsibility and it is up to us how we dispose of it.....but the TV still works so we have a 'spare' 40" to try and fit in somewhere :rotfl:

So, is there anything I should look out for with this new Tosh set? I have not really looked at it's spec in much detail and have never seen one in any store so do any owners have anything I should be wary of when it is delivered or when I start to use it?

I would love to see some pics of this set from people who have them too as I have just checked the dimensions and it sounds like it is a bit of a monster size :eek:

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Its REALLY big, the spealers are atleast 10cm wide, with a massive stand. Can't tehy just give you the amount equivalent required in cash :)
    Then you can get the LG!

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    The stand wont be used as the TV will be sat on top of our Ikea Oppli. Allthough, after measuring the Oppli it looks like the TV is pretty much the same width as it :eek:

They don't offer a cash substitute...we asked ;) I am not going to complain though. After reading the HCC review of the set it seems like it is at least going to be quite a big jump up from our current RPTV in terms of size, picture quality and features :thumbsup:

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +751
    It suffers from some motion blurring and what they call 'oil painting' effect. What happens is that some high contrast elements in a scene will blur slightly as the camera pans. It's quite a subtle effect but once you notice it, it can get quite distracting. The 'oil painting' effect is most noticeable on faces (you'll know it when you see it), and I think another symptom of the underlying problem causing the blurring. In short, the set's scaling/de-interlacing circuitry doesn't seem to be able to keep up when being fed a standard definition (meaning it has to do a lot more work) PAL picture. Both effects can be substantially reduced with outside help. This can be in the form of a scaling/de-interlacing DVD player, or AV amp, or most successfully, with an external scaler/de-interlacer, or AV PC.

In other words, the set was really designed for a high def feed. The less work the on-board electronics has to do the better the picture. It is capable of a really good picture on its own, provided no panning is going on. Which of course is a nonsense as just about all programmes do it. However, with an external scaler, or appropriately configured AV PC, then the set can deliver as good a picture as any existing 720p RPTV can. With the advent of Sky HD expect it to be much better than existing Sky or Freeview.

There are better sets for the money, such as from Samsung, Sagem, or even LG. And now even the Sony LCD set. However, for free it's a bargain. I paid nearly two grand for one, plus £800 for a Lumagen scaler, and I'm more than happy with it. Though having said that, the bloody thing broke down within three months of owning it (the colour wheel seized) and since it came back from the menders it's not displaying colour gradients with quite it's original aplomb, so it might be going back for another talking to.

So, I don't think I'd really recommend one to a new buyer, but getting one given to you is another story.

Regards

Mark

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Mark, thank you very much for the reply :thumbsup:

The motion blurring issue sounds a little worrying, but I am intending to replace my amp with the new Yamaha 2600 later this month which has an in built scaler so hopefully this will do a better job than the TV one and I may be able to elliminate this problem to some degree.

Do you have any pictures of your set as have only seen the 'press' shots and would like to get an idea of what it looks like in the real world. Don't suppose you have any pics of the TV showing an HD feed as well?

6. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +751
    Sorry, no. Must get around to taking some pictures. Maybe give it a go this weekend.

Not that they will show the blurring becasue as soon as the picture stops moving the electronics catch up and the picture looks superb. And I don't get the blurring now, anyway. :)

Regards

Mark

7. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Thanks for the heads up about the blurring anyway Mark. As you say, it is probably enough to put me off the TV if I was buying it but I am not going to worry about it too much in light of us being given the TV.

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Well, the set was delivered about an hour ago. I have quickly set it up and not really played around with the settings but I am generally impressed with the picture.

I can see the motion blur that has been talked about but both my Wife and I have not seen any rainbows ....yet :thumbsup:

S-Video does have show up the 'fizzing' from Sky+ but the component feed from my Pioneer 575 is generally very good.

Until I get my new amp I don't have anything to feed via HDMI but I am going to try it with the XBox later and a couple of 720p games to see how they look.

Oh, and I agree about the size...the thing is huge :eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

9. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Just wanted to update to say that, after a few days with this set, I am starting to see why everyone has been so disapointed with it :(

Given a good feed it can look stunning and the pictures are almost 3D...but when watching day to day stuff it is terrible. The motion blur is enough to make you feel sick and makes some programmes look like every frame of the image was painted by a five year old.

I was trying to watch Stargate SG1 on Sky 1 yesterday and had to stop half way through to give my eyes a rest :eek:

My Wife, on the other hand, loves the TV and the motion blurring and oil painting problems don't bother her in the slightest :rolleyes: I just hope that the scaler in the Yamaha 2600 manages to get rid of the problems in some way or I will be very unhappy with having to live with this TV :thumbsdow