1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 52wm48 DLP DVD letterbox problem!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mitsonian, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Mitsonian

Mitsonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can anyone help!!!

I use a DENON DVD-3910 and my picture transfer via DLP is through HDMI. Anamorphic films are perfect and is fine but I have problems with Letterbox!!

The Question is !! How do I set the Denon so that I can watch a letterbox DVD 2.35:1 or 16:9 so that it shows up naturally on the Toshiba.

At the moment everytime it plays, the widescreen stretches sideways making everything fatter. (Instead it should zoom in and remove some of the black bar)

The HDMI connection does not allow my Toshiba to alter the picture image with the Toshiba (TV) remote. It just says that the option is not available.

So I use the Denon DVD player squeeze option (squeeze widescreen to 4:3), the screen is perfect and in natural shape but it is too small (needs to be zoomed). i.e. small widescreen box in the middle of TV. So when I zoom the DVD remote control, it cuts the sides because it is on Squeeze mode!!!

What can I do as some films I have are not anamorphic!!

How do you tackle this situation? There must be someone with some answers. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Terry

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I get over it by using a Lumagen video processor that has NLS, 4:3, and Letterboxed modes built in, but that's a hell of an expensive way to solve it. It is annoying that HDMI seems to have this rigid screen control built in. All I can suggest as an alternative is to go back to a component feed which will allow the TV to manipulate the picture as you see fit.

Regards

Mark