1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 52HM84 blurry image on pan scenes

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Chadd, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Chadd

Chadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. Greetings. I have the Toshi 52HM84 and I must say it is one of the best DLPs i have seen. Dvd image quality is superb, i do have one problem tho. In ANY scene where there is a pan or where the camera moves, the background of the scene or image becomes a blurry mess. this happens regardless of the source. I have seen this from my xbox, dvd player and tv broadcasrs, oh even my PS2. I know this model is simial to the 46inc model, has anyone else had this problem and resolved it? i have gotten 3 different units all with the same problem so i know it is not a defective unit. I have checked all over google but found nothing on this issue. I love this set and want to find every reason to keep it but this blurring is unbearable especially in games, someone please help. Oh also i am in the US id that matters, thanks guys.
    Chadd.

2. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may sound obvious but have you tried contacting Toshiba technical department to get their verdict on this blurry mess. For a tv that costs as much as it does it's really not good enough to have such problems!

3. Charlie999

Charlie999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blurring is a natural effect of panning. It can be reduced by using a fast shutter speed in the camera. A slow shutter speed enhances blur.

DLP's don't make panning blur better or worse. They just display what the camera recorded. DLP's don't exhibit the sort of lag on fast moving objects - that LCD's are very prone to.

Sure LCD's have improved - but even the latest most expensive models exhibit it.

I've spent over 6 months looking for the best screen available.

I prefer the look of LCD's to plasma's - despite the lag on LCD's.

However, in my view - the overall quality of the latest DLP's are superior to both LCD and Plasma - despite the fact that they are much cheaper.

I've had the 46" Toshiba DLP for a couple of weeks and am extremely pleased with it.

4. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh look charlie!!!!! another one of my minions thwarting the success of the DLP :hiya:

On a serious note though chadd,there are many posts from peoplem including me with this exact same problem.But the strange thing is there are also a few people saying that they dont see it at all.It a bit of a mystery at the moment but hopefully with all the troubled people calling engineers out (me included) there may be a solution round the corner,or this is a characteristic of the TV,but then that doesnt ring true while there is the people that dont see it.Hope this helps.

5. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well considering no one took much notice of me when i first told everyone of this problem about 3-4 weeks ago it seems that their is "alot" of people now suffering from it. I gave these opinions so people would hopefully be able to view the problem before spending alot of cash but they tend to get swayed into believeing the tv is perfect by all the owners who dont see or cant see the problem. I have viewed 4 different models of this set now, the 1 i owned, my brothers, and 2 more in different stores since as i was hoping it was just a one off but no they all display the same fault. Also the magazine review that someone quoted on here also said that this problem existed and toshiba would be stupid to supply a magazine review with a faulty tv. To blame source material is also a no no as i have tested 1080i shrek, matrix reloaded 720p, terminator extreme edition and all the wmp hd demos and all display the fault, it is just less noticable because of the cleaner picture.
    What i would advise all prospective buyers is to go and view the tv first and take a dvd with you ( one thats quite dark) and look for this problem (simply look at the edges of objects on side pans in darker areas is where it shows up more) and then to see whether you would be able to live with it. Afterall the Tosh is very cheap so bring this into consideration too.

6. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    TYN

I di dbut I was more concern about the NTSC issue. My TV blurrs big time, I was too busy to call emprie today. I will tomorrow.

Six months time maybe a better DLP TV will come along, with two HDMI socket and a even higher resolution 1080i/p

7. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    This is the same prob m8, all the ones i have seen also blur big time lol.

8. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    TYN

What TV do u own now.

9. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Gonna sit it out for a while to see if their are any advancements in the colour wheel "which if to be soon available" should be announced at the ces show in america. So just hoping something is shown at the show if not i dont know what to do, although i have contemplated suicide :laugh:

10. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Forgot to answer the question :) , this means i am gonna have to stay with my Sony grand wega 50" lcd rear projection which has been a good setalthough i dont like the way lcd seems to deteriate over time ( for me 2 years). Start to get slight greeny picture and slight convergance problems but under 5 year garuntee so i will get it sorted.

Must say i am abig dlp fan (love having hi-res pc games "drool") and cant wait to get another, but just cannot find a suitable set yet i dont mind small glitches, "but for me" at the mo the glitches are not glitches "but for me" more like bad faults. :(

11. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    wow.. this does sound bad..

Is this just a DLP sideeffect?? as looking at the 50" pedastal Samsung, with a HD source, this also 'smears' on fast pans?? is this the same, what looks like terrible compression artefacts (severe lack of detail?)

Just a couple of thoughts..
    1. Is this with DNR switched off?? as this will cause smearing on fast moving objects
    2. Does it do it with a PC connected, playing an FPS game?? - My only concern with using any form of HD/DVD source is they are all compressed, and so fast moving scenes have many more artefacts then static scenes...

For example, Gladiator 3:16 and Spiderman are terrible on my CRT RPTV.. I have had to switch DNR off, and buy superbit editions of the films I really like..

12. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well as i have said already this blurr is available on pc games also so that counts out compression, bad sources etc. If you want to see it at its worst just load up pc version of need for speed underground 2 (and yes i do have a very high frame rate) and do a continous doughnut and look at the sky or should i say mess :)

Believe me im still hoping its a bad batches or something so i can get another but it seems that more and more people are starting to announce this problem. :rolleyes:

13. Chadd

Chadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys after much research i have found out that this is NOT a bad batch or any sort of machine fault., It is a property of the toshiba, and hopefully Toshiba will come up with a way to fix this. I checked my friends 50 samsung dlp and this problem was not evident. it had its own smearing but it was no where near as bad as the toshi. Aso this most likely exists on all TOsh tvs for those who arent seeing it i gurantee that if you run HAlo2 in progressive mode, and stand in any drak or grey hallway and rotate 360 degres ,you WILL see it. If you dont have an Xbox try using your gamecube, its VERY obvious in Final Fantasy Crystal chronicles, OR if you have a PS2 try it on Jak and daxter 1 or two, FFX, or most likely any game! Stand in one spot that is surrounded by landscape or walls or any enclosed area, turn or pan your camre view around and you will see it. I am SURE this happens in movies too, i noticed it in Xmen1 and most ppl see it in gladiator. This problem is really annoying, damn near unwatchable i am sure there has to be a way to minimize if not fix it. i am currently in Japan so i cannot call toshi tech support as yet. I LOVE this tv guys and i am looking for ewvery reaso nNOT to do away with it.

14. Muffminer

Muffminer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well i eventually got a copy of Gladiator and yes i can see the blurring mind you i have an 7 year old cheap nasty DVD player connected to it, not even through RGB so quality overall is awful compared to New panny E55 i got my rents for xmas and used it on my tele and this is such a vast differnence. Not making an excuse though as i still saw it.

However yes i do see the blurring goes almost cartoony at the said 3:16 seen, but i have watched quite a few DVD's already including Riddick which has quite abit of panning about etc and i didnt see it at all. PLayed Halo 2 as stated above by Chadd and yes i did notice it, BUT only when i turn 360 slowly when do you ever play a game such as Halo and turn around slowly? Its all fast movements and Tosh copes quite well with this i think, mind you i have it connected via composite through Scart Scoket 2 so its awful. Hi-Def is on its way.

But still, id buy another one if i had the chance. For the price, technology, size i still think its a amazing. Maybe in a few years time when DLP has evolved it will be put to shame though this is a very good alternative to plasma/lcd int he present day.