1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 520e Vs Pioneer 656???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mogli, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi all,

I am new to the forums and after reading them everyday for the last few days tht i would join so Hello.

I am in the market for a new dvd/cd plier and am currently deciding between the tosh and the pioneer.

What does everyone think? I like my music so i am looking for a good player that i can watch and get good stereo from also. So what does everyone think tosh or pioneer?

I am also thinking of the future and with the pioneer supporting both sacd and dvda i tht it would be a good future proof buy. But the tosh has 6.1 outputs (for sacd i think) whereas the Pioneer only has 5.1. Should i be majorly concerned by that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mogli

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Mogli Hi,

If you do a search in this forum you will find a lot of material on these two players. In my opinion having seen both side by side I find the 656 a superior product by far in terms of picture, sound and features

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The tosh 520, only has 6 outputs (5.1) and that is only for DVD-A, it does not support SACD.
    ...the 656 supports SACD and DVD-A.
    I had a 520...thought it was crap and now have the 656...brilliant.

Just my view thow....cheers.

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a big Toshiba fan and i think the picture on the 520 will be better than the Pioneer but as u say u want a machine which can handle SACD as well as DVD audio then i suggest the Pioneer cos it is a fine machine and musically i think ur find it better, u might also want to audition some of the Sony machines they dont have DVD audio but then again there arent many DVD audio discs out there that could be considered top quality as far as sound goes and i believe DVD audio will die a slow death and SACD has lots of decent titles available, sheeeesh maybe i should have just said go for the Pioneer :)

5. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks for all your help lads.

I was also thinking of the philips 963 but i am not too sure what good players are available from sony?? I have a budget of about 350. So any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hus

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Used to be a fan of Toshiba too... BUT not anymore. Have you actually checked and compare picture, quality, features and build of the Pioneer? I appreciate there is always a factor of personal taste and bias but I think you will not be able to deny that you cannot match Tosh 520 with Pio 656 !!!

7. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mogli, the answer to your qustion is: buy the Philips 963, it has the best spec:s and can do things that the other players can't, like high class progressive scan. It sounds excellent too, even with all your old CDs.

BTW: The Tosh 520 can match Pio 656 any day of the week, Pioneer might have a little better build quality but Tosh have always had the best parts on the inside. That's what really matters, right? (Yes, I have compared!)

8. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Cheers Tomas :) i think i will do that tbh.

What have you got if you dont mind me asking?

Mog

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    If music is important ... but you don't need/want SACD or DVD-A ... then buy a Tosh SD220e AND a NAD C521i CD player.

If you want DVD-A, then buy the Tosh SD520e instead of the SD220e. In fact whatever DVD player you buy ... buy a NAD C521i as well (or at least a Sony 570) ... unless you're buying a Arcam DV88 or Denon 3800 or better.

10. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mogli: My old DVD-player gave up last week so I had to buy a new player *now* so I chose the Toshiba 220E as a temporary solution. What I really would like to have is a DVD recorder with the Philips 963s spec:s. The new DVDR-80 that is released soon might be the one for me...dunno yet.

The Philips 963 is an excellent CD player too, if you don't believe me, read Hifi Worlds review (or any other). One of the best SACD player that they have ever tested and one of the few that actually complys with SACD spec:s. The CD sound got rave reviews too.

I have compared an Arcam DV88 (and a Linn CD player) with my DVD-player over a weekend, and although it's a very good player it's not as much better as the pricetag might suggest. Not by far.

But the best advice is to try yourself!

11. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks for the advice Tomas tis much appreciated.

I am now torn between the Pioneer 656 (found one for £300) the philips 963 (found one for E400 great price i tht!) and as for a sony dont think there is one out there!

Hus