Toshiba 520e DVD-audio problem?!

A

Argento

A weird one this.

Using a Dolby Digital output (not proper DVD-A 5.1 audio out sockets) the dvd-a discs play, but no sound is output and the screen goes blank.

Any ideas?

If the DVD-A disc doesn't have a DTS or DD soundtrack on it it may not work at all. I've not used your player before but you may do well to see if there are any settings in the menu to downconvert DVD-A output in order for it to work via the digi audio output rather than the proper 6ch outputs.

You have to make sure that you are playing the DD/DTS track and not the MLP (DVD-A) one, which is usually the default playback mode (on all of my discs anyway). This should be selectable from the disc's menu, or try pressing the 'Audio' button on the remote. Make sure you have the video circutry enabled, as on my SD900 it can be switched off to improve audio quality (not sure about the 520?

You also need to make sure the Audio Output is set to Bitstream Out on the Tosh, which it should be if you have been playing DVD's with DTS and DD soundtracks without any problems.

You can also check that your amp/receiver is set to 'Auto Detect' or if it does not have one, or this is not working, try selecting DD or DTS manually on the amp (probably via remote).

May I ask why you are not trying to play back the High Resolution MLP (DVD-A) audio instead of the DD/DTS anyway? Do you not have 6 chan inputs on your amp? You could try the High Res stereo mix (if the disc has one) via the two channel analogue outputs (you may have to select the correct output on the Tosh - Pain in the ass!!).

BTW, I found I prefered the High Res stereo mix of REM's Reveal album over the High Res 6 channel mix.

Good luck and I hope you can get to hear the MLP track rather than the DD/DTS as this is what DVD-A is all about!

This is my old player, and I did use the MPL layer and access the hi-res format - my Dad, who bought the player off me, only had a DD amp.

You know what it's like with old people and hi-fi - haven't a clue - so it's very difficult to sort out over the phone.

What puzzles me is the loss of picture - apparently it's there until the disc is read and then it flicks off...

He can tell the disc is playing by the screen on the player counting up the seconds.

That is weird. Mind you, when I played REM DVD-A on the 868AVi to 504HDE the picture disappeared if you used HDMI but stayed if you used component!!!

Yeah - I know all about that - HDMI won't have any picture if the DVD-A has copy protection, but component will....

Not a biggie - saves me a few hours of bulb life on my projector!

The problem above beats me though...

Originally posted by Argento
HDMI won't have any picture if the DVD-A has copy protection, but component will....

Not a biggie - saves me a few hours of bulb life on my projector!

Oh yeah :suicide: You may be able to tell I don't tend to use DVD-As... (can't afford a new player!!!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom