1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 520

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HomeyJay, Nov 8, 2002.

1. HomeyJay

HomeyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just went down to a dealer yesterday and saw the Toshiba 520. They tried it and it was R2 only. They also said that they didn't think there was a multi-region hack for it. If I buy the player from them, can I get it changed to Multi Region elsewhere ?

Also, is this player significantly better than the excellent SD220 which is £100 less ?

Whan happens when PAL Progressive scan eventually appears, will the machine simply play the disks or will have have to be modded (again).

2. sconepanman

sconepanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvdplayers.co.uk claims to have a multi-region 520. I bought one yesterday for £215 with free delivery.

Over and above the 220:

54MHz video dac vs 27MHz
    optical and coax digital audio out vs coax only
    DVD-Audio capability
    DD decoder with 5.1 line level output
    mirror-like finish:D

I have read on other threads that dvdplayers claim all their players are RCE capable. My personal belief is that if you can do it on the 220 than you can do it on the 520 as they are not that different in that particular area of the machine (from what I have seen, that is).

I have also seen on other threads that Toshiba says there will be no hack for PAL Progressive. I would not buy this machine in the hope that it could be hacked. If we get PP then bonus:) if we dont' then bogus:( but we still have a great piece of kit.

3. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    I was going to buy a Tosh 520, but until Toshiba confirm one way or the other that it will eventually support PP my money is staying in my wallet.

Can't see the point in buying a new player and then having to change it again in 6 months

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You could consider saving up another £100-£150, then going for the new Philips 963SA. There is masses of discussion going on about it on this forum and over at AVSForum. Sounds like it will be an excellent player, probably better than the Tosh 520. It has also been confirmed that it can be converted to PAL progressive :) and multiregion (inc. RCE) using fairly simple handset hacks (the latter requires a universal remote).

I too was considering the 520 before I started reading the threads about the new Philips. Now I'm going to save some more cash and go for the 963 (eventually - haven't even got a projector yet to use the prog scan with!)