1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 520 info please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gchaplin, Mar 4, 2003.

1. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I am considering getting a Toshiba 520 multi region, as they can be picked up for £200 ish.

I cannot find any reviews out there so if somebody who already has one offer an opinion it would be much appreciated.

I like the huge number of formats it plays, and the fact that it has good connectivity. info on picture / sound quality please - also is it quiet? and does it have a resume function?

I was considering a Marantz 4100 OSE, but all I here is that it's a really good cd player - I have a really good cd player (micromega stage 6) and won't be using my new dvd player for cd's.

Cheers

G

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi. Have a look at the March issue of Home Entertainment. They have a review of the SD520, and very tasty it looks, too!

As soon as I sell my Tosh 36 zp18 TV, to be replaced (probably) by the 36 zd26, and my SD200 I will be buying the SD520 to take advantage of the NTSC progressive scan.

Cheers,

Mark

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quick word of dimmy's truthful (yet often useless) advice, I'd really recommend to you that you don't replace a Toshiba ZP18/Q with a ZD26P, and I tested the two of them and found the former outperformed the latter in almost every respect - except for descent Progressive Scan incoming picture formats where the ZD26P did nudge ahead slightly - but it's still not the greatest TV around in my view.

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    "Why you hurt me Dimmy?"!!

And I was SO looking-forward to the ZD! I'll have to check it out with an ultra-critical eye, now.

As you tested both these tvs, did you end up with either?

5. Jonnytv

Jonnytv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, im also looking to get a Tosh520e MR from r/s. Can anyone comment on how good is the mulitiregion conversion. Salesperson said it was a chip job but didnt know if it could do RCE?

Also, I want to connect it to my Philips 32PW9527, is p/scan only avalible throught the component output, if so then does that mean i cant use the prog/scan as my tv only has scarts??

quick answer will be much appreciated as I want to pick one up on thu!!!!

Cheers:confused:

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi Jonny,

I'm afraid that progressive scan is only available from the component output and so you won't be able to make use of it on your Philips TV.

steve

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I like my 520E a lot. It plays my VCD/SVCDs fine, works great with Region 1 DVDs and even mp3s (although decoing is not always perfect). I will get a DVD-A this week so will soon know how it does there too.

The only problem I have with it is noise. On DVDs it is quiet 95% of the time, and the other 5% isn't obtrusively noisy.

For CDs however, it is pretty bad. It is easily audible in quiet passages of music. Due to this I normally use my old DVD player, Warfedale 750S for CD playback. Given what you said about CDs, this won't be a problem for you.

Picture and sound are good as far as I can tell. I can't say I see a huge difference between it and my 750S though, could be that my 32" TV just isn't big enough to show them.

8. Jonnytv

Jonnytv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dutch for the info.

Isnt there any such thing as a component to scart lead?

9. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think the question should really be ' Does your TV accept component ?' even if people are selling component to scart cable leads.

10. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I made the decision to go and get a Toshiba 520ES Multi region from Richer sounds Colchester on Saturday and only had to pay £200 (the match their internet prices if you print out the web page and take it into the shop)

I have to say that the black version (which I was going to get) is horrible - there is this corrugated section at either end on the front and it looks so 1985. Plus the writing on the front is white not gold - yuck. Stick to the silver version.

sound picture all seam good, I have not go myself a DVDA yet.

MP3 cd playback is good (except for a few that sounded rather odd - squeaking crahing noise - anyone know why???) as it lists all the file names on screen (first 8 chars only) for selecting purposes - and it checks sub folders - unlike my friends Sony which does neither.

you can even capture a screenshot from a DVD and use it as the background picture - apparently.

Oh, and it does have a resume function.

can't comment on multi region yet

I checked out the mag review as suggested - thanks for that pointer.

Thanks for all who contributed.

G

11. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anybody know if there is a hack or upgrade to allow the 520 to output PAL progressive?

12. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Am considering getting a 510 for prog scan, or would it be wiser to spend more and get the 520? Would be partnering with 36ZT29B so how big a difference would there be if any?

Any help greatly appreciated!