1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 510e - lost manual question..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bertha, Apr 16, 2003.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hello all - I've been enjoying my new Pioneer projector which I have connected to my tosh 510e but there are a couple of things that are niggling me and I can't for the life of me find my manual...firstly - under the flap on the remote there is a button "Y/Pb/Pr" which I assume has something to do with the NTSC progessive scan output but pressing it doesn't appear to do anything whether the disc is stopped or not??...I have my pj connected via component cables which means that before I watch a film I have to go into the set up menu and change my video output from rgb to s-video or video otherwise I get no picture (apologese if anyone is groaning at my ignorance) - I could leave it on video but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a decent scart lead??
    Am I being a dumbass and missing something glaringly obvious with my set up or is this just a harsh fact of progressive life?

Any answers most welcome

awrabest

Berth:confused:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks for the record breaking reply!
    I'll go and check it out just now..
    cheers

Berth:D

4. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    There is a small slider switch on the back of the 510e labelled I/P (Interlaced/Progressive). Make sure it is on the 'P' setting, and when you insert a NTSC (R1) DVD, press the Y/Pb/Pr button on the remote, and the display will switch to progressive output (an icon will be displayed on screen for a short period).

With the switch set to 'P' you can switch from progressive/interlaced at will assuming you have a multi-region modded player, and NTSC playback material.

5. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks Tman - I checked out the manual for the 520e (there wasn't one for the 510) & saw mention of the I/P switch - checked it out & sure enough it was set to 'I'..haven't had the chance to hook it up to the projector to test it..out of interest does anyone know what output (if that is the word) I should get e.g. 525i etc..as the pj at the moment reads 625 for PAL and 525i for NTSC will my flicking to 'P' on the tosh & hitting the button give me a different output message?
    PAUSE
    A quick look at the projector manual says that it should read 525p for ntsc...so ignore me ..but I've typed all this now so I met as well post it it may help some other dummy like me..thanks for the feedback though it's pointed me in the right direction..

awrabest

Berth:smoke:

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    You should get good results - I had a 520, and it gave a great picture, except mine had a faulty PAL output, so I sent it back. It was the best image of all the players I've had recently, including the Philips 963 (others were Limit 9900SE and Cambridge Audio 57)

NTSC progressive is a sharper image than interlaced, so you should see an improvement.

Gary.

7. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hooked up the pj and followed Tmans instructions - what a difference! I thought the picture was pretty good the way I had it but obviously couldn't see any difference between NTSC & PAL, so there was me thinking that prog scan was a bit of a con..but I was wrong..very 'cinematic' to coin a phrase and quite a bit sharper..the result - 1 happy camper.

Thanks again to your good selves for showing me the light

Alleluia!

Brother Berth:smoke:

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Make sure you switch OFF the Edge Enhancement feature for the Progressive Scan setting as by default it is ON. Unless you like how it looks of course!;)

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Just imagine watching the Region 1 version of The Phantom Menace with EE turned on!!!

Gary.