1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba 50wt29b

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Timsdomain, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Timsdomain

Timsdomain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a 50" tosh 50wt29? I'm thinking of buying one and would like some first hand advice
    Thanks

2. caleb2002

caleb2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting one from EmpireDirect , coming on Saturday, so I will post my 1st thoughts soon.

and Now the wife gets worried about the size!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Timsdomain

Timsdomain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great, thanks - look forward to hearing about it!

4. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Excellent set - had mine since June and still can't get over the picture quality.

Got mine from www.robertons-online.co.uk for £2030 but have seen it since for £1739.68 for www.qed-uk.com

Luckily I paid with my Barclaycard and got a refund on the difference ;-).

Anyway I digress, back to the set.

Did I mention the great picture, sound is good too in stereo with decent bass - I don't use the DD set-up as I have a separate amp.

Doesn't come with the "boy's toys" of the Sony like PiP and fancy menus but who cares as long the picture is up to scratch.

Nice looking TV too and doesn't look big if you know what I mean.

Don't delay - get one NOW!!!!!!

Bal

5. caleb2002

caleb2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only one question on this.

The empire direct picture of this model is the same as the 42wt29 with the back going in at the top (nice lookin')

The Toshiba website shows a different picture with the back all one length and looking rather boxy.

Now I am getting this tomorrow and if it is the 'boxy' one, I don't think it will be as good in the living room.

Which 'type' do you have?

6. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    The base is deeper but it tapers in but not as much as the 42 inch. So yes it will look more like the pic on the Tosh site.

Personally I think the photo of the 42 inch has been taken at a weird angle which shows the depth less than what it actually is.

Trust me mate you won't be disapointed.

Bal

PS Let us know how you get on.

7. Timsdomain

Timsdomain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys I got one! bloody good too! might need a bit of advice on convergence though as i seem to have it always nearly right! never spot on!
    cheers
    Tim

8. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Tim,

I went by the recommendation of letting the set run in for about 100 hours before sorting the convergence out via the service menus.

The convergence part isn't as user friendly as some other makes but once you've done it a couple of times it become second nature.

Do a search on this forum for convergence tips as most of the RPTVs from Toshiba share the same service menu options.

Regards

Bal

9. Timsdomain

Timsdomain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i'll let it settle down a bit first then and then set it

10. caleb2002

caleb2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new Toshiba on Saturday, the delivery men were moaning that it was the biggest set they ever delivered.

1st observation, it is suprisingly easy to move around on its coasters!!

Picture is top class on the input 2 but not so great on the others.

Could not get the digital sound input to work, it kept breaking up.
    I will probably have to ring the manufacturer unless anyone has any tips.

Anyway great picture even in daylight.

and I'm glad I got this size, the 42 just wouldnt do!!

11. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 50WT29B and it's fantastic - sound and picture quality are first class except for a warm cast down the righthand side of the screen (no loudspeakers around, if that's what you were thinking). I purchased from QED and they've arranged for an engineer to call and have a look (you can't exactly chuck this set into the boot of your car and take it down to the dealer!). Anyone else had this problem?

Otherwise perfect - paired with external speakers and a sub-woofer, even better. Funny how you get used to the size quickly.

The component video input is also a real plus. I've only got a cheapo DVD (but very good reviews) - the Pacific from Asda at under £90. Looks awful - but has component video output and digital audio. Coupled with the Tosh, movies are a whole new experience.

Despite my minor problems (which will get sorted) - BUY IT!

12. Timsdomain

Timsdomain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the warm cast on the right hand side too! not sure what is causing it either but you can only see it when you have a white screen - it isn't noticable apart from that - anybody know why? (i haven't got any speakers next to it!)

13. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the warm cast, I'm glad to learn that I'm not alone. I emailed Toshiba with the problem and asked them if it was a fault before I went back to the supplier. Tosh came back and said yes, the TV appeared to be working out of specification.

I then contacted QED, the online suppliers, who appear to have a first class aftersales service. They arranged for an engineer to call and confirm the fault and adjust if possible. Otherwise they said they'd send me a replacement TV.

Engineer confirmed that picture was out, contacted QED, and a replacement set was delivered at 7am this morning. They're as good as their word.

However the replacement still has a warm cast in the same place. I guess it's probably because the red projector is on the right (green in the centre, blue on the left? Engineers out there please advise!), and I'm going to ignore it now I know that it's common, Maybe it'll burn off as the set settles down.

In any event, the picture on this set is otherwise so marvellous that this becomes insignificant.

14. caleb2002

caleb2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't noticed this, how do you see it, on a blue screen or black screen or what?

15. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly do you mean by warm cast? I have a Tosh 42wt29 and about 30% of the right hand side of the picture is a slightly different shade of black to the 70% on the left hand side but its only noticeable on full black screens like the film credits. Its as if someone has drawn a faint line down the screen and not matched the blacks perfectly on both sides. Is this what you mean? Marvellous picture quality though, can't fault it apart from this slight niggle.

16. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The warm cast is only a distraction on white or light images. It can be replicated by removing the colour totally (so that you have a monochrome image) and on my first set this resulted in a correct black and white image over all but the extreme 6-8" down the right hand side which looked like an old sepia print.

The engineer that called agreed that it was out of spec' and couldn't be adjusted away. On that basis QED replaced the set without question.

I'm pleased to say that after a week of running in, the reported similar - but less severe - problem on the replacement set has now disappeared and the image is now well balanced. With a component video feed from my (cheap Asda) Pacific DVD the picture quality is truly impressive. And I mean that - the best large screen I have ever seen on the small screen!

17. fjollon

fjollon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh 50WH18, and I had a problem with a bit reddish on the right and a bit bluish on the left. This is a known and common problem amongst RPTVs. The cure is called Lenstriping.

Btw, the red gun is to the left, the blue to the right.

Good luck!

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/michaeltlv/lenstriping.html

18. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching a mate's TOSHIBA 42" RP TV last night and the programme was essentially in black and white, and I too noticed a sort of orangey/yellowy vertical stripe on the right hand side of the screen, almost like the way an old black and white photo goes yellowy with age.

Is this a common problem with TOSH RPTV's? I am about to purchase one and wouldn't be able to accept that problem after all the sh*te I have had with my Sony KV36FS70!

Anyone out there with a TOSH with this problem, or more importantly anyone who doesn't have the problem? Does it affect the 50" as well as the smaller sets?

Many thanks in advance!

19. fjollon

fjollon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not a "common" problem... they all have it, but it's not Toshiba related. It's a know problem with RPTV's.

If you check out the link in my post above you will see how to fix it. It took me less than 1 hour to fix it on my 50". I had to unscrew 4 screws... that's it.

20. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you are saying categorically that if I buy one, it WILL definitely have this problem, or that it definitely might?

Seems odd that the manufacturers do not apply the fix you posted about prior to release doesn't it?

Thanks again!

21. fjollon

fjollon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really say that every model and brand will have the problem. But I do know that it is a common and known problem. I have a Tosh 50WH18 and they have the problem. It's the way they are built that creates the problem... so they would all have it, yes.

However, I think this is the way all RPTV's are constructed, and if you check my "lenstriping-link" above you will see that it's not a "Toshiba-fix".

I just did a small "research" on Home Theater Spot and searched the different forums such as Panasonic, Sony and the Mitsubishi-forum for hits on "lens striping". I got plenty of hits regardless of which brand I was searching. So this is a generall PRTV-problem indeed.

On the Tosh it's really easy to fix though, and it's an awesome set.

I found a picture in a swedish forum of how it might look inside a Tosh with the tape in place... Thx to Davemaniac.

22. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I don't understand, having read the link regarding striping of the lenses, is why it's not done by the manufacturers in the first place. And I'm l'm also not too sure why I should have experienced a visible difference in two sets of the same model unless the lenses were more accurately beamed on one???

23. petergeorge72

petergeorge72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm thinking of trading my 36" Strata for the 50WT29. I'll have a viewing distance of between 9ft and 12ft. Do you guys think this will be an okay distance? Most of the viewing will be done at 12ft with one person viewing from 9ft away.

24. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PeterGeorge. Yes, you'll be fine. Resolution of this set is excellent and you'll have no problems at these distances. Make sure that your seating places your eye level at roughly the middle of the screen as the vertical angle of view is narrow on these sets - no worry about the horizontal angle however. QED were offering the best deals recently (£1763andabit) and I can vouch for their excellent service in my case.

25. jasonf

jasonf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Tosh 42PW23P for well over a month, and no sign of a "warm cast" on the right hand side, so it certainly doesn't effect
    all Tosh RPs