1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 50WT29B - Rather Long :-)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bal, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Well after finally giving up on trying to get undamaged Sony KP44PS2 I decided on a Toshiba 50WT29B.

This is the replacement for WH18 series and comes with a built in digital terrestrial tuner.

What can I say - first of all I had resigned myself to a 4 week wait having placed the order through www.robertsons-online.co.uk on the 20th June, so imagine my joy when a lady from Toshiba rang me and apologetically asked if they could deliver my TV at short notice (27th June). Yes please I responded trying not to sound over eager. She also suggested that to save me waiting around the driver would call me 30mins before arrival - great as I only work about 15mins from home so saves me taking the day off.

Good as gold I got a call stating they were 30mins away.
    Got home and 10 mins later the Tosh delivery van pulls out and 2 strapping chaps get out and proceed to unload the TV with the utmost of care. Unboxed the goliath and set it up in my living room. They proceeded to set the convergence but I didn't have the heart to tell them that the set should really be on for 30 mins but apart from that the seemed to know the score. The set was perfect without so much as bit of dust or mark to be seen anywhere.

Had to rush off to work and boy did the day drag.
    Anyway finally got home and the picture was to die for. However 20mins into my Toshiba appreciation everything went tits up.
    The TV stopped responding to the remote and even the front panel wouldn't work. The air turned blue and I called the Toshiba support line - they weren't exactly clued up but I eventually persuaded that the TV was duff- Rang the retailer who said they would arrange a swap out.

Feeling rather despondent I decided to investigate further and started to fault find. First point of call was to remove all external devices (DVD-Recorder, switch box, DVD player and TiVO ).

Suddenly the TV sprang back to life. Using the process of elimination I discovered that the lock out was only occurring when the TiVo was on. Remembering something about TiVo and Philips TVs are explored the net and yes some Tosh owners has also experienced similar problems. A quick call to TiVo CS confirmed this and they will be sending a software update to rectify the problem. Something to do with the TiVO sending spurious amounts of blank teletext data which cause a buffer overflow.
    I still think Tosh should shoulder some blame but hell as long as it's fixed I'm happy.

Sorry not to go into any technical details but this is one fab set.

Bal

:D :D :D

2. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I'd do for a 50" widescreen.... :devil:

3. nickhh

nickhh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Now youv'e had the set for a few days what do you think of it?

I was thinking of buying the Sony KP44PS2 but the toshiba is a bigger screen for less money, how does it compare?

Nick

4. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    No comparison mate. I would take the Toshiba over the Sony any day. Okay I may have been very very unlucky and got really duff units, but 3 in a row!!!!!!!

The Sony has some nice to haves :-

1.) Being able to default how 4:3 pictures are displayed

2.) Assiging AV inputs to any channel number - avoids having to cycle through the inputs to get to AV4

3.) Sony has dual tuners - but then again the Tosh has the digital tuner which wins hands down in picture quality.

4.) Menus are kinder on the eye - Tosh ones are too bright.

But at the end of the day the most important factor is the picture and as I said before I still can't believe how good it is.

Shout if you need anymore info.

Bal ( A very pleased Tosh owner) :D :D :D

5. nickhh

nickhh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I think i'll go with the Toshiba.

My last TV was a sony KP41S4, but it took 3 of those before I got a good one, so Sony havn't improved much.

Nick

6. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Is there enough room (depth) on top of the Tosh for a centre speaker? I saw a 42" Tosh in the shop and the top of the TV was only about 4" deep.

7. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The set is a total of 11 inches deep at the top so there should be enough room for a decent sized centre speaker.

I've got the Sony Pascals so don't need much room anyway.

Bal

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm either going for the 57" widescreen or the 61" 4:3 set. I've one more question: in 4:3 mode on your widescreen set, are the sidebars still grey in colour? I know they're supposed to prevent/reduce screen-burn but I find them rather distracting and that's why I may get the 4:3 set. I've lots of non-widescreen films in my collection and don't like watching them stretched.

9. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yep the 4:3 bars are grey but it is something you get used to.
    Saying that the stretch modes on the Tosh don't do a bad job.

Bal