Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Toshiba 50WT29B convergence

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by PA28, May 19, 2003.

1. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know I've seen it here before, but cannot find the thread by searching - is convergence on the above TV user adjustable beyond the normal menu offerings. The reason I ask is that my TV, now some 8 months old, has started developing some nasty red and blue fringes. When I adjust the convergence by means of the "public" menu, I notice that the read and blue adjustments are not in line with the adjustment crosshairs - they're actually tilted by a couple of degrees. Which means that accurate convergence is impossible to achieve anywhere except the very centre of the crosshairs - when this is done the colour is high on the left crosshair extremity and low on the right hand.

Anyone have an ideas if this is user adjustable, or is it a case of calling in the engineer? Advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thread moved from CRT Projector forum

4. PA28

PA28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - reading through this lot it definitely looks like an engineer's visit. However, I can't find anything specific to the 50WT29B here, so other ideas would be welcome as I'm not sure how service modes transfer between sets (though I know I haven't got a flap on my remote!). Have tried searching Google without much luck, but I might be looking in the wrong place...

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 42PW23P.

The process is exactly the same ..

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/Theater/Convergence.htm

I've performed the service level convergence for all aspect modes & input formats (PAL/NTSC) that's twelve convergence's.

I've also disabled SVM. And refocused each lens (fcous pot under the grille)

Picture quality is alot better, and hardly any overlapping of colours.

Are you technically-minded?- or do you destory everything you touch? :D

It'll cost quite a bit to do all convergences (12). I doubt he'll do PAL & NTSC. probably just a single aspect, maybe six if you're lucky.

6. bandy

bandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nathan whats svm and how do you disable it and why ?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to disable SVM, but it's another "tweak", just like lining with duvatyne, refocusing, convergence, correcting Schempluge, correcting tilt, etc.

I've disabled SVM by removing the power cable from the main board which is connected to the Green SVM board on the Green CRT. This then routes to the Blue SVM board, then the Red SVM board.

Here's info on SVM....

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/definitions/svm.html

This is the order I would do things..

1) Focus. Remove speaker grille (2 screws on either side, at the back) There are six pots. DO NOT adjust the Screen pots. There are three focus pots. Bring up the TV's own grid The grid is white. That means all three tubes are ON.

Now press the remotes red, green or blue buttons to cut power to each tube. So the grid will be either Green, Blue or Red depending on what you press. Make the grid Green. Adjust the Green focus pot so the centre/majority and the grid is vertically horizontally equal & in focus & sharp. Wiggle the pot back & forth, it'll be obvious when it's perfect. Now press green (screen will go black) then press Red (Red grid will appear) do the same for red, and then same for Blue with the blue grid.

Another method is doing 1), but instead by staring into the actual three lenses, before the lens adjustment, however the lens adjustment is quite tricky (and requires screen removal) so I would just adjust the screen pots only.

2) Convergence. See my early post to converge the set- start in the middle, work outwards moving the blue and red to the green.

Easiest way of doing this- when converging Red, make the Grid yellow. This will show up the out-converged red better.

To converge Blue- make the grid Purple, as this will show up out-converged blue better.

Of course all the above is info, if it's over your head don't try it yourself.

I'm very technical minded so this is pretty easy to me (I've set up CRT PJ as well)

8. bandy

bandy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll think i'll steer well clear of that one nathan i'm very pleased with the picture as it is now i've done the convergence.

9. krraqk

krraqk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have been reading this forum a lot lately, but its my first post.

Im spanish and my english is very bad, forgive me if I not express myself well.

In fact I have purchased my RPVT Toshiba 46wh08G mainly because the things that I have read in this and others forums.

My TV is in my house for a month now and Im very very pleased in general, but I will want to make perfect the convergence of colours in my tv, thats why Im writing in this thread.

My main doubt is if its possible to make a perfect convergence.

I explain it: When I do a convergence in the public menu I observe than when I adjust one of the points of lateral right of the screen, the point of the opposed part of the screen loses configuration (they interact).
    Then I say myself : Never will be possible than both parts of the screen be perfectly calibrated!
    Or Im missgin something?
    Its possible to calibrate each point of the screen independently??
    The convergence settings in the service menu allow that?, adjust point to point or all at the same time?
    Why I want to have a grid with many more points to accomplish convergence if when i adjust a point in the rigth side the ones at the left side are out of focus ?

Maybe Im asking something absurd, but I cant understand this convergence process. I mean that the results will not be much more better that the ones making the public convergence.
    Ah, and I need to do also the public convergence to each of the screen modes or its only necessary whe doing the service menu?

Another thing that worries me is the very small information that I can find about the details of the menu convergence settings (I have read those two web pages), are there any much more detailed page that explain step to step with some image the process?.

My first post and a lot of questions, I know, sorry.

Greetings to all.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The user level convergence is pretty basic- good to do it within the first week but I was suprised how much better the service level convergence was. Alot of the little grids that were corrected- wheras in the user level this wasn't possible.

The idea of the service level convergence is to get the whole of the grid white.. see below pic. You can't get it perfect (unless you're lucky with a good set) however try to get it as good as possible.

When I went into the service menu convergence for the first time it was quite way out.

See below pic. The little square is the the cursor- you move that around to adjust each grid. I've drawn a badly converged blue & red lines, to give you an example. You want these two lines to match up with the white.

The above links should give you step by step instructions regarding convergence & geometry steps.

Attached Files:

11. krraqk

krraqk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the repply!

From what section of the service menu is this pict you posted?

You are saying that the settings are independent at each zone of the screen? or when I set a point in the screen others points are getting out of adjustement?

Thanks another time

Enrique C.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leave the TV to warm up for at least 1 or 2 hours on a non-logo'ed TV station.

1) Go into service mode by muting the TV. Press Menu on the front panel and press mute on the remote at the same time. If you've done it right a S will appear

Press 7. That'll bring up the various options, ie, Adjust PAL wide etc. DON'T SELECT COPY PAL WIDE TO OTHERS or something like that. It won't knacker your TV but it'll ruin all your convergence's up.

Press right on Adjust PAL Wide/Cinema/Superlive/Subtitle/4:3/14.1
    A grid will appear.

Pressing Red, Green or Blue buttons will turn on/off the guns. Turn off Red & Blue (green grid will appear) Use 2,4,6 & 8 to move the flashing cursor around the screen. Pressing 3 cycles though the gun you want to adjust. Pressing 5 locks in that cursor allowing you to adjust where the cursor is.

With the green grid up, adjust any geoemetry errors, so for example if the green on the top right is slanting outwards instead of running vertical correct this.

Turn on a certain CRTs to make the grid yellow. Now choose the red gun. Move to the centre, and move any mis-converged red (the red will appear behind the yellow) it's pretty easy to sort the red. Start from the centre, working your way out.

Turn on a certain CRTs to make the grid purple. Choose the blue crt (pressing 3) same again, start at centre-working outwards- move the blue behing the purple grid.

Don't forget you'll need to do this for ALL aspect modes. Start with Wide, Superlive as these are probably the most used modes - if you never use the others (subtitle etc) don't bother.

By using the yellow grids and purple grids it's alot easier this way (instead of leaving up the white grid) as red & blue shows up alot better behing yellow & purple respectively.

When you've finished that grid, press right to save changes. The pic will implode for a second, and go back to the choices menu. Choose another aspect mode, press right and do the same (correct geometry & convergence)

Don't spend too much time with the grids up- spend 20 mins max doing the Superlive convergence, switch off and do Wide the next day, when you switch the TV on again.

Also there are indepdant convergences for PAL & NTSC (with 6 aspect modes) , so they're a total of 12 convergences.

That pic is just a example- drew up myself in Adobe Illustrator -see my recent RPTV picture post. It's just a example, you want the lines to look white & straight. The actual grids look slightly different (the grids are not equal distant between each section, they're different sizes)

13. krraqk

krraqk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathan

Wow thats a response, many thanks for your time!

Now I need to study your indications very well before trying the adjustments.

I have also donwloaded the service manual of the 40H80/56H80 in order to getthe most details possible on this "sevice menu". (Although I am not safe if this manual is adapted for my TV < 46wh08G >).
    I will also try the focus adjustement, as it seems pretty easy and I think its maybe one of the most importants adjustements and one that probably it will produce visible results in my TV.

Thanks another time.

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. krraqk

krraqk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

well, i tried to get in the service menu to have a look, but after the "S" is in the display I press "7" and then the tv changes to the channel 7 but the convergence menu dont appear.

If I press the program up/down buttons i can see different menus but not the convergence one.

What Im doing wrong? I need to start the process from a tv channel/av1/av2/av3/av4?
    I need to remove all the scarts/component cables/aerial tv?

Help please.

Thanks

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like it's different then.. go here..

http://tibor56.hyperlinx.cz/

register, upload a text file and request a service manual for your TV.

Hopefully that'll have info on how to get into the convergence menus.

17. krraqk

krraqk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathan,

thanks for the answer...

Sad mine is not like others... (seems strange, my tv is a common model I think).

Maybe the problem is that I need to unplug all the scarts, aerial antenna, component cables? or its not necesary?

I will try in that site to request the service manual.

Thanks another time for your valuable help!

Enrique C.

18. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can go into convergence menu regardless of input- component, S-Video or composite.

I use the front S-Video for my laptop, convergence grid can be brought up.

And Component for DVD player, again convergence pops up.

And you want the source playing- ie a NTSC DVD or PAL output from laptop otherwise the two different convergence settings won't be possible.

19. krraqk

krraqk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nathan

Seems that my tv is different, strange it seems a very common one.

I have tried in that site requesting a service manual.

However I have the impression that having only 3 tubes (3 colors) to regulate, in order to make the best convergence, I think that the results cant be very much better than with the user convergence menu. Because I ever will need to make a compromise in this regulation (no matter if in service mode or user mode) and I can get more or less easily with the user mode a regulation of compromise.

As I have said when I calibrate, for example, the red in the left area of the screen, that color in the right area get descompensated and that is something that the service menu cant avoid, because I will obtain the same interaction described.

Normally I tend to concentrate to obtain the best in the center of the screen and after correcting the deviations more significant that I may appreciate in the lateral points.

Its normal that at the fringe areas of the screen I have ever some disarrange beetwen colours? Or its my tv fault?

Greetings

Enrique C.

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "its normal that at the fringe areas of the screen I have ever some disarrange beetwen colours? Or its my tv fault?"

Well since you can't tell which guns have Schempluge then I can't say whether your set is working within spec. If all three tubes have Schempluge then this is unfit.

You can only a small amount to adjust the CRT's in the user level.

This bloke's RPTV white grid looks very good.
    http://www.geocities.com/mv_us_2000/50H81_AVIA1.html

Better than mine- my blue is out on the far left (not really noticeable during TV) Apart from that, mine is pretty close to that guys. My geometry isn't perfect (only a few mm out though) as he's bought the overlay grids (I haven't)

Try looking for av forums from your local country, hopefully more people will know more information about your model.

You could buy the service manual, this should include how to get into the convergence grids.

21. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Once you enter the service menu and you have "S" in the top right corner and have made some changes how do you leave the service menu? Do i just turn off the TV?