1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 50wt29 ..........advice Needed......help.....!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by master99, Sep 11, 2003.

1. master99

master99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people.......

well I have delivery of the TOSHIBA 50WT29 rear projection TV. I most say it has great sound and the picture quality is not that bad even though I expected better. now what I have seen is that the RP TV has a slight discolouration in the right hand button corner like a dirty greyish colour you can see it more when you put on a black and white movie or go to a white screen what I want to know if I have just bought the RP TV could this develop in to something serious also Toshiba most test the 50WT29 rear projections before they sell to the public so they should of known there was a problem.

should I send it back get my money back or get a replacement?

anyone thinking of getting a rear projection for games forget it its a waste of time the picture is really dreadful that's why I got it in the first place sourly for games and pc.

so has any one else had the problem with the Toshiba 50WT29 with the screen having a dirty colour to the right hand bottom corner?

please get back to me and tell me what you done?? I.e sent back got a new one or fixed it some way.

thank you for your time.

mr flint:smashin: :rolleyes:

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I used my 50WH18B for my XBOX, sat only 6 feet in front.. it was mental..

Obviously you find that games consoles aren't the last in quality outputs, so text is a little 'soft', (blurred)... but thats minor.. what console do you have, and how have you connected it (i.e. RGB or composite video?)

Playing HALO multiplayer was a scream... although you need to turn the brightness up to see in all the dark corners!!!!

What is so bad with your setup? perhaps we can offer a few tips?

As for the grey patch, no this isn't normal, I'd call the supplier and ask for an engineer... if you sit too close, you do get slightly uneven brightness, but this is at < 6 feet... and what you are describing sounds like a fault, possibly some cabinet fragment on the lens, or a damaged mirror..

3. master99

master99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Thanks for your reply .....I have an Xbox I play halo and other games too but compared to a normal 36 inch TV the picture quality is not all that good.......may be your right I should turn the brightness up a bit more, and yes it is really blurry I am sure my eyes go funny after a while:rolleyes: my Xbox is connected to a scart cable and used an extension scart because my Xbox is away from the 50WT29.

I most say the picture on TV RP TOSH watching TV is like watching DVDs all day the sound is great but its very blurry on the eyes when you play your games consol .......I.I playsation 2 winning eleven or the Xbox halo or vice city..well that's the least of the problems

just wondering what the dirty shad in the bottom corner its not that of a big problem YOU can only see it when YOU watch it in black or white or have a white screen up, I paid allot of money for this at least everything should be in working order

I only got it 27/8/03 time delivered 11.38 am...

paid £1400 from www.robinsons.co.uk priced matched it :D and haggled a good price.. :smoke:

I have a cabinet underneath so I can put the DVD an video in there no speakers are close to it.:confused:

thank you for your time

Mr Flint:rolleyes: :smashin: :suicide:

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Its worth checking that your XBOX lead is a true RGB scart, and not a composite scart, as on a set this big, this would make a huge difference..

As for focus, it was only slightly soft on mine, but the actual game was OK...

Have you adjusted the convergence, as this would also have a big effect on how soft it looked.!!!

If you think there is any problem, give the shop, or TOshiba a ring, the number is in the manual, and they are very helpful, and friendly, and am sure will get an engineer out stright away...

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly could need electronic & optical focus, or it has a dirty lens/mirror, or stuff between the lens/CRT.

I have a slight pink tint to the right; but it's only slightly noticeable in b/w films, and not during colour films.

Don't forget you're going much bigger- so unless the source is higher resolution (and TV's are only accept 640x480 anyway) you'll see the deficiencies of the console resolution.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    nathan's point is absolutely right....I have a 50WT29B,and apart from a slight pinkish tint to the left hand side of the screen,everything else is perfect,and even that isn't noticeable except on a white background.
    If I run the HCPC's desktop through it though, as the screen is so large,and the maximum resolution for TV purposes is 800x600,it does look a bit fuzzy close up...since I don't use it for games though,it's perfect.

7. master99

master99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Thank you everyone for the comments and information it has been a great help i will phone Toshiba and see what they say if they will repair it or replace it.....Thank you again for your time and effort

PS does any one know where to get true xbox or ps2 rgp cables from they have to be atleast 3 to 4 meters?

:zonked: :smashin: im clad I came across this forum its very nice indeed well done people the world is a better place when we have people like you lot around:clap:

Mr Flint

8. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Just a quick question, do you have an AV amp or an all in one DVD player??

If you do you can connect the X box to that instead of the TV. That way you only need a short cable. :confused:

9. master99

master99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hello m8 i have a a all in one dvd player?

Ps am i the only one who has that dark shade of browny grey in the right hand of the screen? :clown:

10. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    No your not mate, mine has it as well. As you say it is only on white backgroung that it shows up.

Why dont you link your console to your DVD player if that is the case?

11. master99

master99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply m8
    ok I have just got the TV, will the gray brownish dirty colour in the right hand bottom corner get any worse or will it just stay there as it is, its just that when you watch black and white movies the colour is un balanced due to the shady dark in the right hand corner will it be ok it wont suddenly start effecting the whole screen will it ? buy the time my warrenty runs out...:blush:

12. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Oh dear.... Pity Hitachi 43" rear pro discontinued, you missed out on a gem of a tv wish i had bought the big beast. Games are excellent and what the hell are you putting up with this Pinkish corner for........ Either get it replaced or dump the thing.:confused:
    My set pisses on most 36" ctr sets for dvd picture quality. Class :D

13. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Sorry taken so long to get back!!

Dont think it will get worse, mine hasn't. When I first got mine it bothered me a little bit but after a while you just forget about it. :)

14. wayne

wayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the 42wt29

Exactly the same problem, it won't get worse, but why should you have to put up with sub standard equipment ?

Wayne

15. rover

rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This happened to me twice on my 40PW8. It is caused by a "foreign body" in the green tube. It seems to happen a little after installation. I presume it floats to the top of the tube and obscures part of the beam creating a pinky blob on the screen. It is a recognised fault and the tube should be replaced free of charge. The repairer told me these tubes cost £200 each!

16. jumbopants

jumbopants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am looking to buy this same set from robinsons, please can you tell me who they price matched??, so I can get it for 1400 notes. The cheapest I've seen it with is rgb for 1454 incl. del. Also after having the set for a while do you regret buying it ?? or are you happy with it ?? You are probably the same as me, it's a lot of money and you want to get it right, Last question is did you contact Robertsons to get your problem sorted if so what was there after sales like ?? In the forums they seem to have quite a good rep..

Many thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way

Jumbopants1000@aol.com